It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Coach at IU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 am 

Back to the IU search, I am getting really worried it is going to be Mike Woodson.

I think I am going to throw up.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I think you are minimizing the opportunity a program like Indiana brings beyond the money. You can win national championships and be in the conversation every year at IU if you are good. Loyola simply cannot offer that. Also, the resources are so comparatively small at Loyola that you have to do 10X the work just to keep up every year.

I have a feeling all these seniors are coming back to Loyola and Moser will as well. They will have lots of national attention from the beginning of the year. However, the MVC is going to be stacked next year.

I am not mimizing in that I know the opportunity to win a national championship at Loyola is somewhere around .001%. I am under no illusions that Loyola will ever be IU.

However, I do wonder if there are coaches out there who recognize that winning a national title might not be the only goal to be strived for in a career. Also I wonder if there are coaches out there who strived for that, failed spectacularly and regretted the decision.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:01 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:
One post sounds like a fan who wants to convince himself that Moser will stay at Loyola forever.

Maybe it will happen, but the Mark Fews of the world are a pretty small group.

I would bet Moser moves on to another job with big $$$ at some point.

I have no rooting interest in Moser at Loyola.

I just always wonder if college basketball/football coaches ever reflect on all the job jumping they did and think back that maybe staying at one place, even if it isn't the most high profile program, wouldn't have resulted in a more fulfilling life.

I look at Kevin Sumlin here in Houston. He could have won between 8 - 12 games a year for 20+ seasons and made anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm a year. His family would have tremendous stability and so would he. Instead he jumped for Texas A&M, got shitcanned there for not meeting "expectations", then moved to Arizona where he failed spectacularly.

Sure, he's got plenty of money, but he still would have plenty of money had he coached at UH for the past 12 years or so. I get that these guys probably never get a top job unless they are wired to always be climbing, but I always wonder if those guys reflect back on their life/career and wish they would have chosen the path less taken. Because you know, sometimes that makes all the difference.

If you are a good coach or a bad coach it catches up to you eventually. If Porter Moser can't win at IU or Kansas State then eventually he's going to fail at Loyola.

As for Kevin Sumlin, he can do whatever he wants for the next year or two while still getting millions and then return to coaching if he wants and plenty of non-P5 schools will be willing to hire him.

Your mean that Sumlin will be happy coaching at a non-P5 school for a few million bucks a year?

I mean if that is your proposal then I completely agree. But he didn’t have to flail around for the past decade+. He could have just, you know, stayed at Houston.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:02 am 

One Post wrote:
You are assuming that the extra money that Moser will “find something to do with” will bring him more enrichment than the trade off of less money to perhaps stay at a place that provides non cash benefits.
99% of the time the coach moves up to a bigger name program if the difference in compensation is that significant. That's because it's a great deal to get hired there and it's a great deal to get fired there.

Moser may be happy where he is, and have enough family money to turn down $20 million more dollars over the next 4-7 years but I wouldn't bet on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:04 am 

RFDC wrote:
Back to the IU search, I am getting really worried it is going to be Mike Woodson.

Don't forget D League coach Calbert Cheaney!

I think they'll get someone better than Woodson or Cheaney. They may have to pay more though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 am 

Brick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I think they'll get someone better than Woodson or Cheaney. They may have to pay more though.

I would rather take my chances with Cheaney. But I am a hard pass on Woodson.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Brick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Is Stevens just not interested?

What's Uwe Blab up to these days?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:12 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Brick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Is Stevens just not interested?

What's Uwe Blab up to these days?

Stevens isn't interested. College coaching is a year round job. You don't give it up if you have a good NBA job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:18 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
You are assuming that the extra money that Moser will “find something to do with” will bring him more enrichment than the trade off of less money to perhaps stay at a place that provides non cash benefits.
99% of the time the coach moves up to a bigger name program if the difference in compensation is that significant. That's because it's a great deal to get hired there and it's a great deal to get fired there.

Moser may be happy where he is, and have enough family money to turn down $20 million more dollars over the next 4-7 years but I wouldn't bet on it.

See here is the thing. You think it is a great deal to get hired and fired at IU.

But maybe there are people out there who don’t think that is such a great deal. Maybe Moser is one of those people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:20 am 

One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

See here is the thing. You think it is a great deal to get hired and fired at IU.

But maybe there are people out there who don’t think that is such a great deal. Maybe Moser is one of those people.

Sure it sucks to be fired from somewhere, but when you get 10 million when fired it is a little easier

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:26 am 

One Post wrote:

Getting fired is the worst case scenario, and then you end up right back where you were prior to getting hired with $20 million more in earnings. Archie Miller will pretty easily find another job when he wants one at the same level he was at before. He may wait a year to get the right job though.

He may want to spend the rest of his coaching career in the MVC. That would go against 99% of coaches who do make the jump to bigger jobs making more money when it's offered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

Getting fired is the worst case scenario, and then you end up right back where you were prior to getting hired with $20 million more in earnings. Archie Miller will pretty easily find another job when he wants one at the same level he was at before. He may wait a year to get the right job though.

He may want to spend the rest of his coaching career in the MVC. That would go against 99% of coaches who do make the jump to bigger jobs making more money when it's offered.

Nowhere did I say that most coaches wouldn't take the jump. IN FACT, if you're been reading carefully (which you haven'), I've essentially admitted that to get where most of these head coaches are, they will always make the jump. I've admitted that. But you've also admitted that some coaches might not want to make the jump.

I've merely speculated that Moser might be one of those guys based on him turning down a huge offer in the past and some of the comments he has made.

Again, YOU think that getting fired at IU is the worst case scenario. That's YOU. We aren't talking about YOU Brick.

There could be someone out there who thinks the worst case scenario is leaving a place that he was completely content at making a shit ton of money. That obviously isn't YOU, but it is some people. And maybe it might be Moser.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 am 

RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

Sure it sucks to be fired from somewhere, but when you get 10 million when fired it is a little easier

This is getting repetitive, but sure it is easier to get fired with 10 million bucks. But there are probably some people out there who think it is harder to get fired with 10 million bucks, than to stay at a place where they are happy and fulfilled and make a shit ton of money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:16 am 

One Post wrote:
Nowhere did I say that most coaches wouldn't take the jump. IN FACT, if you're been reading carefully (which you haven'), I've essentially admitted that to get where most of these head coaches are, they will always make the jump. I've admitted that. But you've also admitted that some coaches might not want to make the jump.

I've merely speculated that Moser might be one of those guys based on him turning down a huge offer in the past and some of the comments he has made.
He didn't really turn down a huge offer in the past. The St. Johns offer was a lowball offer and St. Johns is a dead end job anyways.

One Post wrote:
Again, YOU think that getting fired at IU is the worst case scenario. That's YOU. We aren't talking about YOU Brick.

There could be someone out there who thinks the worst case scenario is leaving a place that he was completely content at making a shit ton of money. That obviously isn't YOU, but it is some people. And maybe it might be Moser.
Moser may also retire to run his family lumber business after the season.

My thoughts are describing almost every coach in America. Of course there could be an extreme exception. I guess we'll see if Moser wants to spend the rest of his coaching career at Loyola. I'll be very surprised if he does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:13 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

He didn't really turn down a huge offer in the past. The St. Johns offer was a lowball offer and St. Johns is a dead end job anyways. [quote="Brick"]

In some posts you're saying guys only leave for money. Now you're saying that Moser was lowballed in taking his salary from 1MM to 2MM. So he was right not to take the money.

And according to you, who cares if St. John's is a dead end job because getting fired from high paying jobs is "good" according to you, and then Moser could just recycle himself at Miami of Ohio.

Dude, you're all over the place here.

All I did was speculate if Moser might be one of those guys who I admitted are rare, that might be content not to always try to jump at the next best thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:07 pm 

One Post wrote:
In some posts you're saying guys only leave for money. Now you're saying that Moser was lowballed in taking his salary from 1MM to 2MM. So he was right not to take the money.
I never said they only leave for money. Money is the most important factor though.

One Post wrote:
And according to you, who cares if St. John's is a dead end job because getting fired from high paying jobs is "good" according to you, and then Moser could just recycle himself at Miami of Ohio.
St. Johns isn't a high paying job so this point doesn't make sense.

One Post wrote:
All I did was speculate if Moser might be one of those guys who I admitted are rare, that might be content not to always try to jump at the next best thing.
Yes, and I'm simply explaining why those guys are so rare they are virtually non-existent. It seems like you are now saying that you think it's incredibly likely that Moser jumps to a bigger job with much bigger money when offered.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:30 pm 

One of the latest rumors is that it will be Woodson and he is bringing with him Thibs!

:lol: Man what a crazy search.

I think I am about ready to settle for Alford to get the job.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:05 pm 

Seth Davis seems to think it is Moser

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
RFDC wrote:

That what be incredibly cold blooded if that happened

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Seacrest wrote:
RFDC wrote:

That what be incredibly cold blooded if that happened

That would kill Sister Jean. The president of Loyola needs to make that known to Moser.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
How is it cold blooded? It's business.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:36 pm 

Some think Moser is happening soon. Others think it is Beilein.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm 

And others still think Woodson. Some even think it is Woodson with Matta or Fife as Associate

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:31 pm 

more reports out there that Woodson is it.

I will wait to get sick until I see the Assistants. If they get a Fife, Lewis, or Matta on board then it will be a little more acceptable.

But not very happy at the moment.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Honestly a great day for Purdue and Illinois. Lovie Smith of basketball type hire.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm 

Matta is being hired as well to be Associate AD and work with basketball staff. That makes things a little better.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
How is it cold blooded? It's business.

Thanks for stopping by Bob.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:53 pm 

Krutwig and Williamson have a chance to play at the next level. Probably not stars but they could catch on as journeyman on an NBA bench...but if they feel a new coach could derail their plans they have every right to look out for their future.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:02 pm 

But a moot point. Uninspiring hire but IU will always deserve what they get for the way they treated Bobby Knight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
Krutwig and Williamson have a chance to play at the next level. Probably not stars but they could catch on as journeyman on an NBA bench...but if they feel a new coach could derail their plans they have every right to look out for their future.

Neither is a prospect for the NBA.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next