It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Coach at IU
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
D league or Europe then

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Mike Woodson.

Fun fact, I did a quick wiki on the man and the most notable thing I learned is that a guy who’s 6’5” with a waistline that likely lands in the high 40s weighs 195.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:42 pm 

Condolences RFDC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:24 pm 

Brick wrote:
Condolences RFDC.

:lol: can I at least get some thoughts and prayers?

It definitely is not the hire I was hoping for, but oh well. I did not care for the Allen hire either and that has worked out well. So we shall see. The Matta hire will help him. Hopefully he puts together a good solid staff. And the guys like Dakich who have been screaming for an IU guy finally get their wish. You do not get much more of an IU guy than Woodson.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
D league or Europe then

Yeah they are AAAA guys. But maybe they get lucky.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:59 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
But a moot point. Uninspiring hire but IU will always deserve what they get for the way they treated Bobby Knight.

They fired a guy who was a raging asshole and a bad basketball coach at that point. Seems like pretty fair treatment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
Condolences RFDC.

It definitely is not the hire I was hoping for, but oh well. I did not care for the Allen hire either and that has worked out well. So we shall see. The Matta hire will help him. Hopefully he puts together a good solid staff. And the guys like Dakich who have been screaming for an IU guy finally get their wish. You do not get much more of an IU guy than Woodson.

Indiana kids still play a high level of basketball. I think that's the idea of getting an Indiana guy. You're kinda fucked if you can't recruit in state. Who the fuck wants to play in Bloomington, Indiana except for Indianans.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 pm 

One Post wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
But a moot point. Uninspiring hire but IU will always deserve what they get for the way they treated Bobby Knight.

They fired a guy who was a raging asshole and a bad basketball coach at that point. Seems like pretty fair treatment.

Whoa there, sparky. He lost his fastball on recruiting. The raging asshole reputation hurt him in that department. But coaching? No.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 pm 

Nardi wrote:
One Post wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Whoa there, sparky. He lost his fastball on recruiting. The raging asshole reputation hurt him in that department. But coaching? No.

I wonder if that asshole thing had anything to do with the recruiting thing?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 pm 

Yeah Knight was never a bad basketball coach. If you want to call him an asshole so be it, but not a bad coach.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:28 pm 

Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
Condolences RFDC.

Indiana kids still play a high level of basketball. I think that's the idea of getting an Indiana guy. You're kinda fucked if you can't recruit in state. Who the fuck wants to play in Bloomington, Indiana except for Indianans.

Recruiting is one of the major things I am worried about with him. He has never recruited one college kid before. But he will have some cred with coaches around the state. So that is a good start for him. He will need to get a good staff if he has any hopes of being successful.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:41 pm 

One Post wrote:
Nardi wrote:
One Post wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I wonder if that asshole thing had anything to do with the recruiting thing?

The word probably got out that he was breaking clipboards on kids' heads, choking them, and grabbing them by the balls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Yeah Knight was never a bad basketball coach. If you want to call him an asshole so be it, but not a bad coach.

In his last 13 years of coaching, he made it to the second weekend of the NCAAs one time.

Is that good?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:53 pm 

One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

In his last 13 years of coaching, he made it to the second weekend of the NCAAs one time.

Is that good?

Nice job cherry picking what stats you want to use.

First of all, you stated that he was a bad coach at the time of his firing at Indiana. That was simply not true.

His results while at Texas Tech were not the greatest. But he was still not a bad coach. His recruiting definitely slipped especially once he got to Tech. But he also turned around a Tech program that was in shambles when he arrived and won 20+ games almost every year he was there.

So again he has a lot of faults, but he was never a bad coach. There has not been a finer in game coach/basketball mind that ever existed.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 pm 

One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Is that good?

Dean Smith didn't make it to the 2nd weekend with a starting five of Michael Jordan, Kenny Smith, Brad Daugherty, Matt Doherty, and Sam Perkins. Now THERE'S a guy that couldn't coach.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Krutwig and Williamson have a chance to play at the next level. Probably not stars but they could catch on as journeyman on an NBA bench...but if they feel a new coach could derail their plans they have every right to look out for their future.

Neither is a prospect for the NBA.

Playing at IU for a year would help them get to the D league somehow though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:52 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Krutwig and Williamson have a chance to play at the next level. Probably not stars but they could catch on as journeyman on an NBA bench...but if they feel a new coach could derail their plans they have every right to look out for their future.

There's lots of professional basketball outside of Europe and D league. Both guys can probably make some decent money AND learn a new language.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 am 

RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
Condolences RFDC.

Recruiting is one of the major things I am worried about with him. He has never recruited one college kid before. But he will have some cred with coaches around the state. So that is a good start for him. He will need to get a good staff if he has any hopes of being successful.

:lol:

I love RFDC talking himself into liking this hire, like any true fan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:55 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
Condolences RFDC.

:lol:

I love RFDC talking himself into liking this hire, like any true fan.

:lol: I am far from liking it right now. I have a lot of concerns. But what can you do? I am not changing teams because they made what I think is a bad hire. Maybe by the fall I will be all in like Nas on the bears every year

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
RFDC wrote:
Maybe by the fall I will be all in like Nas on the bears every year

:lol: :lol:

So what exactly is Matta's role in all of this? Coach-in-waiting until Woodson fucks things up and Matta can pass a physical?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
RFDC wrote:

the phrase "beat 'em you his'n and beat you with your'n" was partially invented for him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:38 am 

City of Fools wrote:
RFDC wrote:

the phrase "beat 'em you his'n and beat you with your'n" was partially invented for him.

You know how some people are. You can't possibly be skilled if you're an asshole. The last 4 years at the white house is a case in point. People would rather have a nice guy fuckup. Like Jimmy Carter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

So what exactly is Matta's role in all of this? Coach-in-waiting until Woodson fucks things up and Matta can pass a physical?

It's a little weird. Like how Wisconsin put Alvarez in the AD position for years, just ready to swoop down if ever needed. And they did use him twice in bowl games after head coaches left.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Knight was a brilliant coach. The 84 tourney win over Carolina was a coaching masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:37 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

he is the associate AD focused on basketball. I think basically he is going to be the guy to mentor Woodson on anything in regard to the transition from NBA to NCAA. I think they really wanted Matta for the job, but his health would not allow it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nardi wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

There's lots of professional basketball outside of Europe and D league. Both guys can probably make some decent money AND learn a new language.

Understood, I coached Kleinschmidt's niece some years back and he told me how well he did, especially playing in Japan.

But it's not the NBA and going to a down IU program for a year could have been a mistake, rather than helpful to those two.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

he is the associate AD focused on basketball. I think basically he is going to be the guy to mentor Woodson on anything in regard to the transition from NBA to NCAA. I think they really wanted Matta for the job, but his health would not allow it.

It would make sense that they wanted Matta since he is a very good coach. What is the general opinion of Woodson's coaching ability?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:07 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It would make sense that they wanted Matta since he is a very good coach. What is the general opinion of Woodson's coaching ability?

From what I have gathered he excels at player development. I have watched several videos of NBA guys talking about him and they all seem to love and respect him.

Something of which I forgot he led the Knicks to the 54 wins and the 2 seed in the East in 12-13. And he has a strong gif game, so that will be nice.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:09 pm 

The General is happy

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm 

Another interesting tidbit.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next