It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next Coach at IU
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:26 pm 

Been reading all sorts of stuff the last couple days. Lots of names floating around.

Beilein

Oats

Beard

Musselman

Drew

Fife

But clearly the guy everyone wants is Brad Stevens. I guess he was asked a couple times today about it and in one of the clips he refers to coaching the Celtics in the past tense, so that got the tweets and message boards flying. Rick Pitino today said IU should fly to Boston and not leave until they get him to say yes no matter how much it costs.

I would love to be wrong on this, but Stevens is not happening.

Drew is not happening either.

Thankfully it also seems that Alford is not an option.

I still like Fife and think he is a great candidate. I also like Beard and Beilein. Musselman is intriguing.

I am happy the AD is not hiring a search firm and seems to be doing this all on his own and he is a long time IU basketball guy. So hopefully he gets this right.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Next Coach at IU
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Pitino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:34 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Pitino

That is possible. On the interview it sounded like he was really content with coaching a couple more years at Iona and riding off into the sun, but that could be all BS.

I listened to a podcast with former IU player Brian Evans and he said that before IU hired Kelvin Sampson that Calipari really wanted the job and tried to get it, but was turned down.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:58 am 

I don't see Musselman leaving Arkansas for Indiana, if it is money, Arkansas can pay him whatever they want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:53 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I don't see Musselman leaving Arkansas for Indiana, if it is money, Arkansas can pay him whatever they want.

Yeah maybe, but he has jumped around a lot to different jobs.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Assembly Hall and Oates! Print the shirts!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
RFDC wrote:
Fife

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:03 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Assembly Hall and Oates! Print the shirts!

:lol: I like it

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:49 pm 

Catching up this afternoon on some of the internet rumors on this deal.

Isiah Thomas is supposedly involved and is the go between Stevens and IU. Money is not an issue and they will give him whatever he wants to be the coach.

I cannot wait for the flight tracker stuff to start and then people randomly spotting people at places around bloomington....and especially with all the teams/coaches in Indiana for the tournament, this is going to get crazy!!!

Gotta love a coaching search in the internet age :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
have you considered David Leitao?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I love it that an alum coughed up 10 or 12 million to fire this guy. Probably Cuban.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
in this day and age, why would he fly in the first place?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
RFDC wrote:
Catching up this afternoon on some of the internet rumors on this deal.

Isiah Thomas is supposedly involved and is the go between Stevens and IU. Money is not an issue and they will give him whatever he wants to be the coach.

I cannot wait for the flight tracker stuff to start and then people randomly spotting people at places around bloomington....and especially with all the teams/coaches in Indiana for the tournament, this is going to get crazy!!!

Gotta love a coaching search in the internet age :lol:

History won't be kind to President Brad Stevens if he cuts and runs without winning one in Boston. Have they even made the FInals? Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, even Scary Terry thriving under other coaches post-Stevens-Celtics. And the Boston media will do a number on Stevens the way they did Francona on the way out of town. Although I don't know what kind of dirt they're going to dig up on Stevens; maybe he often wore the same suit twice without dry cleaning or he sometimes enters organic heirlooms under the well produce sku at the self-checkout.

Other than bringing in all-nba free agents and hitting on a couple of draft picks, Ainge hasn't helped with his Hamlet routine when it comes to using Boston's draft picks to get Stevens mid-season roster upgrades. Tho it's on Stevens that he got blitzed by Budenholzer in the 2019 semis and then looked more rookie than a 7 seasons in NBA head coach vs Spoelstra in the bubble conference Finals

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:21 pm 

AJ Guyton posted this pic and caption about 20 mins ago, the message boards are going crazy now.

Quote:
Each day is different! After hearing the press conference and some rumblings, I’ve shifted this way. IU family, where y’all at with it today? #enjoytheprocess #bradstevens #iubb #hoh

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Whoever it is, just pray that he will be as likable as Lou Henson!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:34 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Whoever it is, just pray that he will be as likable as Lou Henson!

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 am 

Dan Patrick just said Tony Bennett and Chris Beard could be the names.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I have a friend / owner of my wife's company that went to college with Oats. He's stayed in touch with him and was able to go down and visit and watch some practices. He coaches girls basketball locally. Hoping they have a nice run in the NCAA and seems like he is ripe for a big time job soon. Alabama is a big job but I mean like a true hoops blue blood program.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:27 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Dan Patrick just said Tony Bennett and Chris Beard could be the names.

Haven't heard much about Bennett this time around, but he has always been someone that Indiana has been interested in. He supposedly turned them down last time around.

Beard is a hot name at the moment. He is probably the 2nd hottest name after Stevens.

We got our first flight information :lol: :lol:

This was posted last night on one of the boards

Quote:
Long time lurker here, i manage airports for a living. There is a single flight from the Boston reliever airport in bedford (GA overflow), to Indy reliever tomorrow at 10, 1240 arrival. It is a a company that is used often by sports VIPs and wealthy who are not the type of rich that can afford to own a jet. Skeptical yes, but a random flight to the Indy reliever, when no other flights from Boston to Indiana exist, is at the least, intriguing. Come on home BS. There is your random flight update.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:43 am 

Seems there was a full court press put on Stevens and even some reports of him being interested. But Stevens said no towards the end of Friday.

Names drawing a lot of interest right now: Beard, Matta, Beilein, Woodson. Pitino has gotta some mentions. Once Virginia got knocked out Bennett has got some play as well.

One of the returning IU players made a tweet last night about Happiness coming and of course that started things rolling again. I am sure a college kid tweeting about happiness is about their next coach :lol: Plus some travel ball coach in Southern Indiana who supposedly has some connections tweeted that IU has made a home run hire.

No more flight tracking that I have seen lately.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 am 

It's going to be Pitino.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
It's going to be Pitino.

And you are basing this on what?

Just throwing stuff against a wall like usual.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:28 am 

They would be crazy not to throw $$$ at him and he'd be crazy to turn it down. He was talking about being loyal to Iona? There's no loyalty, it's all about the $$ and just as a coach will leave for more money these schools will fire you in a second if you got a hooker in your trunk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
They would be crazy not to throw $$$ at him and he'd be crazy to turn it down. He was talking about being loyal to Iona? There's no loyalty, it's all about the $$ and just as a coach will leave for more money these schools will fire you in a second if you got a hooker in your trunk.

That would surprise me. He is old and Rich. Iona is a no pressure retirement job.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:33 am 

I'm sure he's got plenty of bills to pay. Indiscretions aren't cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:34 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

He was not talking about Loyalty to Iona, he was talking about just being content to finish out his career there.

He has pretty much done everything, so I could see him not wanting to step into a pressure cooker of a situation to finish out his career.

But who knows the way things work. He could be named the coach by the end of the day :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
RFDC wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

He was not talking about Loyalty to Iona, he was talking about just being content to finish out his career there.

He has pretty much done everything, so I could see him not wanting to step into a pressure cooker of a situation to finish out his career.

But who knows the way things work. He could be named the coach by the end of the day :lol:

He's a terrific coach, but I can't imagine a program like Indiana would hire him after everything that happened at Louisville.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:39 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

He's a terrific coach, but I can't imagine a program like Indiana would hire him after everything that happened at Louisville.

Agree. He is a great coach and there is no doubt IU would win with him there. But what would come with it? Kelvin Sampson situation all over again....

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:41 am 

Like the great Bobby Knight once said, you just sit back and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:36 am 

Reports coming out that they had a deal with Thad Matta but he had to drop out after getting a physical. They probably had the deal in place prior to firing Archie.