It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paying College Athletes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
This is a bad idea that college athletes can now take money for endorsements. It's hard enough going to school and then having to practice for five hours than also being an endorsement prostitute, too.

It will create more prima donnas than there already are and just cause corruption all around with recruiting or whatever. College athletes are not pro-athletes. They are amateurs. If they want to be pros, then turn pro.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I'm fine giving them the ability to make money on their own. I hope it never gets to the point where the schools actually pay them (aside from tuition etc).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:40 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
This is a bad idea that college athletes can now take money for endorsements. It's hard enough going to school and then having to practice for five hours than also being an endorsement prostitute, too.

It will create more prima donnas than there already are and just cause corruption all around with recruiting or whatever. College athletes are not pro-athletes. They are amateurs. If they want to be pros, then turn pro.

What world are your pro and amateur sports being broadcast in? Do they also not understand the slanted rules there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:50 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

What world are your pro and amateur sports being broadcast in? Do they also not understand the slanted rules there?

I understand that some college sports are big business from television revenue and gate receipts. Education itself is big business. The trade-off is that college athletes receive full scholarships for their time and effort. For some schools like Northwestern, for example, that degree is worth at least $120K. That's not peanuts.

I just think that athletes at this age (17-21) are too prone to corruption. Money corrupts. They are representing their institutions in team sports, not themselves. With endorsement deals, now they're representing their pimps, too. There is no place for third parties in the student-university relationship. It's an honor to receive an athletic or academic scholarship and it should be left at that.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:57 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I understand that some college sports are big business from television revenue and the gate receipts. Education itself is big business. The trade-off is that college athletes receive full scholarships for their time and effort. For some schools like Northwestern, for example, that degree is worth at least $120K. That's not peanuts.

I just think that athletes at this age (17-21) are too prone to corruption. Money corrupts. They are representing their institutions in team sports, not themselves.

Number one, $120K is light. Number two, when a relatively small private school like Northwestern spends $200 million on a training facility and places like Alabama and Texas are pouring $40k into individual players lockers; there's proof positive that the system is corrupt. And that's before talking about the crooks running the bowls, conferences and NCAA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:59 pm 

How are the agents or endorsement firms paying the athletes being vetted?

I'm sure they're all squeaky clean. You're opening Pandora's box by allowing this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Dignified Rube wrote:
For some schools like Northwestern, for example, that degree is worth at least $120K.

More like $280k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
How are the agents or endorsement firms paying the athletes being vetted?

I'm sure they're all squeaky clean. You're opening Pandora's box by allowing this.

Pandora's box was wide open when hookers and slutty coeds were "hosting" high school recruits. Or the athletes were being gifted cars, drugs and cash for themselves, their families and coaches.

And I won't even start on the shady coaches and friends of the programs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
"but the Children?"
We can't pay the college athletes because It's too much of a corrupt system for them to know better, so it's best to just let said corrupt system continue to exploit the hell out of them.

yeah....and what Reader posted.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Dignified Rube wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: they don't go to school you dumbass.