Jon Gruden 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
RFDC wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I’m being told Marcus Freeman is going to be announced soon.

This is a disaster for them. Notre Dame as an on the job training for a never been head coach who has only been a coordinator for less than five whole seasons. No time to learn on the job in the MAC or at a less demanding program. Go win titles coach.

Yeah, I don't see this ending well, unfortunately. Freeman has really turned the defense around this year, and meshes well with the kids. I'm guessing this will be a situation where he runs the defense and they shell out a bunch of money to keep Tommy Rees around to run the offense...they're high on both of them, and are probably doing what it takes to keep them from jumping to LSU with Kelly considering even without a playoff game, they're going to be playing a New Year's 6 bowl and need to keep some sort of continuity with the team.

It is not what I would do in that spot, but I dont think it is a disaster waiting to happen. The guy seems to be a rising star according to just about everyone who has been around him. He seems to really excel at recruiting, and he has done a really good job with the defense. If he keeps someone solid running the offense and he is able to recruit well then he will do fine.

That's why the hope is that he'll wind up keeping Tommy Rees around...especially with the team they have around. Need a QB, though...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 am 

Fickell probably told them no. They are saving money if it doesn't work out they will just go poach someone in two years.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:29 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Fickell probably told them no. They are saving money if it doesn't work out they will just go poach someone in two years.

This could be part of it too. Will be interesting to see what they pay him. They could be thinking that they roll the dice with the young star people like and see what he can do. If it bombs then you get a bigger name in a couple years.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 am 

conns7901 wrote:

The funny thing is that Freeman was going to be the coach at Cincinnati if Fickell left.

I think Notre Dame just said that continuity is more important than getting the next hot name who is probably waiting on OSU or Michigan anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
sjboyd0137 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I’m being told Marcus Freeman is going to be announced soon.

This is a disaster for them. Notre Dame as an on the job training for a never been head coach who has only been a coordinator for less than five whole seasons. No time to learn on the job in the MAC or at a less demanding program. Go win titles coach.

Yeah, I don't see this ending well, unfortunately. Freeman has really turned the defense around this year, and meshes well with the kids. I'm guessing this will be a situation where he runs the defense and they shell out a bunch of money to keep Tommy Rees around to run the offense...they're high on both of them, and are probably doing what it takes to keep them from jumping to LSU with Kelly considering even without a playoff game, they're going to be playing a New Year's 6 bowl and need to keep some sort of continuity with the team.

It is not what I would do in that spot, but I dont think it is a disaster waiting to happen. The guy seems to be a rising star according to just about everyone who has been around him. He seems to really excel at recruiting, and he has done a really good job with the defense. If he keeps someone solid running the offense and he is able to recruit well then he will do fine.

That's why the hope is that he'll wind up keeping Tommy Rees around...especially with the team they have around. Need a QB, though...

Rees is staying. Gave a speech to the team and everything.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:42 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Like that means anything in college football :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Guessing he hates Brian Kelly so no surprise he didn’t jump to LSU even for the raise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 am 

Brick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

The funny thing is that Freeman was going to be the coach at Cincinnati if Fickell left.

I think Notre Dame just said that continuity is more important than getting the next hot name who is probably waiting on OSU or Michigan anyways.

Yeah if this works for them it shows how little Kelly actually mattered.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 am 

what makes Rees such a hot commodity? His offense this year has sucked and it wasn't anything great last year. His quarterback whispering produced the great Ian Book.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:00 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Like that means anything in college football :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I walked right into that one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
i voted nagy as a joke, but he actually might be a decent college coach with his positivity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:01 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Brick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Word is that he ran the program like a hands off CEO...the assistants did the real work. Explains a lot of the apathy coming from the players when the news hit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 am 

good dolphin wrote:
what makes Rees such a hot commodity? His offense this year has sucked and it wasn't anything great last year. His quarterback whispering produced the great Ian Book.

Their offense is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Brick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Word is that he ran the program like a hands off CEO...the assistants did the real work. Explains a lot of the apathy coming from the players when the news hit.

All of the other stuff is tough though. It's like being a university president on top of the football coach. Media appearance. Near constant fundraising. It's a lot for a new head coach to handle. I'm surprised that Matt Campbell didn't get more of a look.

This is a high risk hire. The guys known as ace recruiters primarily seem to crash and burn. Ed Orgeron broke through with a title, but he never had consistency year to year. He was also a disaster in his first chance at Ole Miss.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 am 

This is a high risk hire. The guys known as ace recruiters primarily seem to crash and burn. Ed Orgeron broke through with a title, but he never had consistency year to year. He was also a disaster in his first chance at Ole Miss.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the risk, or the track record of ace recruiters....I think the weight of it being NOTRE DAME is a tough one for him. The good news is that he'll keep getting the ACC teams, and the generally cupcake non ACC teams. Orgeron was at Ole Miss...that's a stepping stone in the toughest conference in the league. If he had crashed and burned at say LSU, Georgia, Florida...I could see it. But in Oxford...meh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Lol "high risk hire"? They are paying him nothing and if he sucks they will fire him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:48 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Lol "high risk hire"? They are paying him nothing and if he sucks they will fire him.

Three shit years, and where is the program?

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:49 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

Three shit years l, and where is the program?

Right about where it was when they fired Ty Willingham and hired Chaz Bono.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Caller Bob wrote:

He won't get 3 years if hes bad. If hes anything less than great next year and Urban Meyer becomes available he is gone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The ND fans I know were hoping he would be the guy, If Im him I would have taken the highest paid DC in history under Kelly at LSU..that is a lot of job security and better talent..the cost of living is jack shit down there.. dude could gave left there in 10 years and probably taken 9ver LSU.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

I think some people believe these programs endure no matter what.

Remember how great the Florida schools all were not too long ago?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

Three shit years l, and where is the program?

If they were in the SEC that would be a more serious concern.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:05 am 

Idk, one bad decision and you can be fucked for a decade. Look at Southern Cal or ND with Ty & King Fupa.

People seem to like Freeman but I’m not sure how any normal person assesses a college coordinator’s ability to be a head coach.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:08 am 

Idk, one bad decision and you can be fucked for a decade. Look at Southern Cal or ND with Ty & King Fupa.

People seem to like Freeman but I’m not sure how any normal person assesses a college coordinator’s ability to be a head coach.

If he can recruit he will be fine, that is the hardest part though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:15 am 

312player wrote:

If he can recruit he will be fine, that is the hardest part though.

Weis was a pretty good recruiter. A shitty HC, but he got 5 stars through the door.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:16 am 

I thought Weiss was a bad recruiter, many guys turned down ND because of Weiss and his arrogance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:17 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I think some people believe these programs endure no matter what.

Remember how great the Florida schools all were not too long ago?

All that in state talent, yet the big three programs are all wastelands right now. Even in the ACC.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:19 am 

312player wrote:
I thought Weiss was a bad recruiter, many guys turned down ND because of Weiss and his arrogance.

Signed much better classes than Kelly actually.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dam ... 133828778/

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:19 am 

312player wrote:

He’s a piece of shit, no doubt, but he recruited more high end talent in 4ish years than Kelly did in 10 (in terms of high school rankings, which may be bullshit in the first place).

He couldn’t/didn’t recruit defense very well though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:22 am 

I look at sending guys pro, not what some dipshit ranks high school kids from watching tape. Kelly kicked his ass.