It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:40 am 

I'm not sure I agree with the national opinion that this shifts the college football paradigm. The kid is a CB and sees the opportunity to be coached by arguably the greatest cover cornerback of all time. Also, Deion is flamboyant, draws a crowd and has connections throughout the NFL, so if he plays well, he is still going to be seen. This isn't going to be true of many other HBCU.

Anyway, I do think the possibility of a mass movement of AA athletes to HBCU schools would be an interesting development. One player in basketball would really be able to make much more of an impact than football. We'll see how this plays out.

Sentiment can only carry you so far. It's tough to pass up the absolute luxury these biggest programs are offering. There is a punter at Oklahoma who vlogs regularly about his day. The dorms are nothing like regular dorms with big, single rooms around a suite and each room having its own bathroom. The athletic facilities are like a playland. Good food whenever you get hungry. Free, first run athletic gear. Those programs also offer post grad opportunities beyond football if you play your cards right.

However, if the choice is between somewhere like a Sun Belt school and HBCU, I can see making the switch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I think you’re burying the lede that the kid got a 7-figure NIL deal from Barstool for making the switch.

…and that Deion does some work for Barstool.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I think you’re burying the lede that the kid got a 7-figure NIL deal from Barstool for making the switch.

I think that will end up being an unwise investment or at least a loss leader. They will have to invest a tremendous amount of hype into him just to make him semi recognized by big football fans and ultimately a CB doesn't bring in all that much interest. If he's good, they won't throw at him.

Obviously Barstool must be flush with cash.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Did you see his commitment video?

He put Cliff Alexander to shame. He put on one hat then took it off and threw it off to the side on the floor. Then another. And finally put on the JSU hat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Perfect move for Deion. He'll get the FSU coach fired, get that job, and the kid will enter the transfer portal and join him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
good dolphin wrote:

I think that will end up being an unwise investment or at least a loss leader. They will have to invest a tremendous amount of hype into him just to make him semi recognized by big football fans and ultimately a CB doesn't bring in all that much interest. If he's good, they won't throw at him.

It’s very weird to me, which is not to say it’s wrong, but it’s just so unfamiliar I don’t know what to make of it.

It would make some sense if it’s a form of compensation for Deion. They’ll push the kid onto their various properties but I don’t know what that really gets anybody, aside from Jackson St. getting more exposure.

That it’s all backed by gaming company money makes it all stranger.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:50 am 

good dolphin wrote:

It’s very weird to me, which is not to say it’s wrong, but it’s just so unfamiliar I don’t know what to make of it.

It would make some sense if it’s a form of compensation for Deion. They’ll push the kid onto their various properties but I don’t know what that really gets anybody, aside from Jackson St. getting more exposure.

That it’s all backed by gaming company money makes it all stranger.

NIL was always going to result in some uncomfortable bedfellows.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:20 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Perfect move for Deion. He'll get the FSU coach fired, get that job, and the kid will enter the transfer portal and join him.

Yeah that seems pretty likely.

I have a hard time seeing Deion as a head coach.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:25 pm 

I heard that at year end JSU was close to selling out a 60k stadium and had most games televised to boot. And Deion was on this morning denying any knowledge of a $1.5MM deal.

Not that I believe him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
KDdidit wrote:

Yep...and the paradigm shift will quickly be forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:

Anyway, I do think the possibility of a mass movement of AA athletes to HBCU schools would be an interesting development. One player in basketball would really be able to make much more of an impact than football. We'll see how this plays out.

I'm surprised we haven't seen it in basketball. You would think one kid, somewhere, would want to give it a shot. It would generate a lot of attention and he would have a higher profile than just another blue chip recruit at Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:44 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm surprised we haven't seen it in basketball. You would think one kid, somewhere, would want to give it a shot. It would generate a lot of attention and he would have a higher profile than just another blue chip recruit at Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.

We did last year with Makur Maker. His season was a complete disaster at Howard and is now playing in Australia.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:02 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

We did last year with Makur Maker. His season was a complete disaster at Howard and is now playing in Australia.

I was watching some of the Howard Georgetown game and wondered about him.