It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CFP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Brick wrote:
The sport gets a lot more popular the day after Aaron Rodgers season ends.
8)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:06 pm 

I don't dispute that there are good regular season basketball games. I'm simply saying that between half the country making the tournament and the one and dones I'm not really interested in most games. And I firmly believe that by expanding the playoffs college football will be going down the same route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Angie's
Regular Reader wrote:
I don't dispute that there are good regular season basketball games. I'm simply saying that between half the country making the tournament and the one and dones I'm not really interested in most games. And I firmly believe that by expanding the playoffs college football will be going down the same route.

Which would be especially sinful because college football, as a spectator sport with huge crowds, has a longer history than baseball. So many games are events, even if the teams are not having good seasons. You'd hate to kill that and turn it into (as JORR says) a tv show.

That's not to say that many (most?) Big Ten and Big Twelve basketball arenas are buzzing during the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I think the issue about college basketball is that much of it's season competes directly with the NFL and the NFL would dominate anyone else. The NBA/NHL and even MLB get trounced by even average NFL games whenever they go head to head.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:39 pm 

Brick wrote:
If you are a college basketball fan there are a lot of really good regular season games.

Most people aren't fans of college basketball though. They are fans of creating a bracket and hoping for a 4/13 upset in the first round of the NCAA tournament which is fine. I love the tournament too but I also like the Maui Invitational and watching MSU/Michigan and Purdue/Indiana.

The casual sports fan ignores college basketball until the NFL is mostly done. The sport gets a lot more popular the day after the NFL conference title games.

Brick, there are tons of really good college basketball regular season games, way more really good regular season games in CBB than CFF, nobody is disputing that, they are good and entertaining and all of that.

They are also completely irrelevant in the larger context of the sport. That is, who wins or loses that really good game is completely irrelevant in the larger context of the CBB season.

The casual sports fan ignores college basketball until the tournament, coincides with the NFL being done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:45 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Which would be especially sinful because college football, as a spectator sport with huge crowds, has a longer history than baseball. So many games are events, even if the teams are not having good seasons. You'd hate to kill that and turn it into (as JORR says) a tv show.

That's not to say that many (most?) Big Ten and Big Twelve basketball arenas are buzzing during the winter.

See the highlight is the thing about what college football traditionally has been. If you're Kansas, you've sucked forever, and will always suck. But usually once or twice a season, maybe three times if you're lucky, you're going to be playing an undefeated top 10 team, and if you beat that team, you know that you just killed their season.

So for a pathetic 1988 Kansas Jayhawk team, you're going to have one shot at Oklahoma, and one shot at Nebraska, and in a lot of years one shot at Colorado whereby if you pull the upset, you just put a bullet in their whole season.

The constricted and fickle nature of the AP and Coaches Poll national title also provided more gravity to the major bolls and winning your conference. Going to the Rose Bowl used to be the end all be all for Big 10 teams. Now if you're a student at the University of Iowa, the Rose Bowl is just another nameless game between Christmas and New Year's Day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
As hnd said there is a big difference between 60 teams and 6-12 teams.

I personally think 8 is a good number to start at for expansion.

I’m one of the biggest college football fans I know, and I also want the regular season to still have importance.

8 teams IMO keep the conference schedule important.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
One Post wrote:
hnd wrote:
i think 60 teams makes it worthless, but 6-12 it doesn't much. I think it makes seasons matter much more to many other teams.

There is no preseason, and teams that get off to a slow start basically are done 3 weeks in when they are 1-2. A few years back USC looked like one of the best teams in the nation. but it had 3 early losses and basically had no shot.

And that can solve this goliath problem too. kids want to go where they have a shot at the championship. its why the CFP perennials (Bama/GA/OU/OSU/Clemson) received over half the 5 star athletes and 100+ other teams fought for what was left. expanding dilutes that base IMO. the transfer portal has a little bit but its more affected depth than anything. during BCS era teams like Florida, FSU, USC had 5 star 4th/5th string QB's. and depth charts that were unbelievable.

I don't think that a six team playoff makes the regular season worthless, but each team that you add to the post season incrementally devalues the post season. Your point about USC a few years back having three losses and having no shot is the pinnacle of valuing the regular season. Before the playoff, you lost one game, and there was a very good chance your shot at the national title was gone, each week, whether you played Ohio State, Oregon State, or Valdosta State was of utmost importance.

I'll just go back to college basketball. Although unlikely, it is possible for a team to have zero wins during the college basketball regular season, and yet win the national title. That's a regular season that is just tremendously unimportant.

you are looking at this in totality which isn't really the way most fans look at college football. They want their team to have a chance at going to the playoffs. and if their team even with 2, maybe even 3 losses has a chance, their interest is still peaked. how is that devaluing anything? I could see where it was larger than 8 having teams perhaps rest players....i guess before conference championships. but I also think tying home/away to seeding is an important aspect of how you do this.

the summers eve herbal douche bowl and the 20 others like it have devalued college football more than any playoff expansion.

NFL Network and ESPN have been blubbering about playoff possibilities for the past 2 weeks and people eat it up. There are literally steeler fans who believe they have a shot!.....they even added 2 more teams to the playoffs and people could give a shit.

there are only 11 games in college football. its pretty tough to "devalue" any of those. regardless of how many spots there are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:00 pm 

Def agree the surplus of terrible bowl games has devalued the sport more than adding 2-4 more teams in a playoff would.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:00 pm 

One Post wrote:
Brick, there are tons of really good college basketball regular season games, way more really good regular season games in CBB than CFF, nobody is disputing that, they are good and entertaining and all of that.

They are also completely irrelevant in the larger context of the sport. That is, who wins or loses that really good game is completely irrelevant in the larger context of the CBB season.
They are only irrelevant if the only thing that matters is whether you make the tournament or not.

Then again, 95% of P5 and every game not involving Cincinnati this year outside of it had no tournament implications either. ND/Cincy decided the 4th team in the playoff. OSU/Michigan decided who would make the tournament. Georgia/Alabama didn't really matter but other games played by them did. You could say that Baylor/Ok State mattered but both finished far away from the playoff.

In a 12 team playoff, you likely have even more meaningful games as you have 12 teams building a resume to make it rather than 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
8 slots seems fair. Two SEC teams. Other 4 conference championships. Token mid-major. Notre Dame.

Boom, there’s your tournament.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:04 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

I’m one of the biggest college football fans I know, and I also want the regular season to still have importance.

That's what college football is, which is why the super-conferences just kill the game. All centralization kills something. Kills so many rivalries, too: Pitt-Penn State, Nebraska-Oklahoma, Texas-Texas A as well as M, Oklahoma-everyone.

It also kills certain weeks; Georgia used to close with Florida, Auburn, and Ga. Tech every year. They still close with Tech, and they still play the other teams, but not to close the season, which was always kind of cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:06 pm 

hnd wrote:

there are only 11 games in college football. its pretty tough to "devalue" any of those. regardless of how many spots there are.

Wait....what do you mean?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:07 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
8 slots seems fair. Two SEC teams. Other 4 conference championships. Token mid-major. Notre Dame.

It's going to be 12 teams. It's a done deal. It's just a question of how quickly it happens.

4 conference champs get a bye. The other 8 teams play a game the week after the title games at the home stadium of the higher ranked team. 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7vs 10, 8 vs. 9.

Highest rated non-P5 is guaranteed a spot. Then it's all by the rankings of the CFP committee.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:07 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

That's what college football is, which is why the super-conferences just kill the game. All centralization kills something. Kills so many rivalries, too: Pitt-Penn State, Nebraska-Oklahoma, Texas-Texas A as well as M, Oklahoma-everyone.

It also kills certain weeks; Georgia used to close with Florida, Auburn, and Ga. Tech every year. They still close with Tech, and they still play the other teams, but not to close the season, which was always kind of cool.

Yeah I’m not a fan of OK and TX going to the SEC either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:09 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Def agree the surplus of terrible bowl games has devalued the sport more than adding 2-4 more teams in a playoff would.

"8 teams would devalue the regular season! time to sit down and watch Alabama play....Mercer....or is it Citadel?"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:09 pm 

Brick wrote:

It's going to be 12 teams. It's a done deal. It's just a question of how quickly it happens.

4 conference champs get a bye. The other 8 teams play a game the week after the title games at the home stadium of the higher ranked team. 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7vs 10, 8 vs. 9.

Highest rated non-P5 is guaranteed a spot. Then it's all by the rankings of the CFP committee.

So that's potentially three extra games for some teams?

Pay/injuries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:11 pm 

They’re already getting paid, and the good college players have nice insurance policies.

But yes, wear and tear sucks.

Jbi11s wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Yeah I’m not a fan of OK and TX going to the SEC either.

Get rid of conference divisions. 8 conference games and a championship. how you keep from scheduling non conference turds the 4/5 games I have no idea.

Last edited by hnd on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jbi11s wrote:
They’re already getting paid, and the good college players have nice insurance policies.

you can also make bowls relevant again by writing NIL stipulations into them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:14 pm 

Brick wrote:

Don’t love the bye setup but it theoretically gives ND a chance to host an easy playoff game. Maybe they’ll actually win something.

Also, Brian Kelly would’ve traded a clear path to the playoff each year for an overnight accent…and $100m.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:15 pm 

hnd wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

you can also make bowls relevant again by writing NIL stipulations into them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:19 pm 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

They are only irrelevant if the only thing that matters is whether you make the tournament or not.

Then again, 95% of P5 and every game not involving Cincinnati this year outside of it had no tournament implications either. ND/Cincy decided the 4th team in the playoff. OSU/Michigan decided who would make the tournament. Georgia/Alabama didn't really matter but other games played by them did. You could say that Baylor/Ok State mattered but both finished far away from the playoff.

In a 12 team playoff, you likely have even more meaningful games as you have 12 teams building a resume to make it rather than 4.

If we follows your bold logic, then if we have 24 teams in the playoff there will be even more meaningful games because you have 24 teams trying to build a resume?

And we can go even further and say if we have 100 teams then there will be more meaningful games because you have 100 teams trying to build a resume?

Also, your CBB can't compete because of the NFL doesn't hold water in that CFB, which still probably has the most meaningful regular season in all of sports seems to compete just fine LITERALLY going head to head with the NFL.

Long ago CBB chose to sacrifice any relevance its regular season has at the expense of unquestionably the best post season tournament in sports. It's not a virtue or a vice, it is just what it is. For about 100 years college football had the most relevant regular season, and probably still does. If they mimic what CBB has done, then we know the regular season will be incrementally devalued with each team added to the post season tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:22 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

Wait, you're saying that adding more bowl games has devalued bowl games, but adding more playoff teams won't devalue the mechanism for making that playoff (i.e. the regular season).

If you're saying that there are too many bowls, I'm in complete agreement with you there, but the solution to that isn't to expand the playoff, the solution there is to reduce the number of bowls.

20 Bowls is about the right number, you've got your top 25 teams, and another 15 or so teams that likely won 7+ games. But I wouldn't argue with you if you took the number down to 15 bowls.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:29 pm 

Don’t love the bye setup but it theoretically gives ND a chance to host an easy playoff game. Maybe they’ll actually win something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:29 pm 

One Post wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Wait, you're saying that adding more bowl games has devalued bowl games, but adding more playoff teams won't devalue the mechanism for making that playoff (i.e. the regular season).

If you're saying that there are too many bowls, I'm in complete agreement with you there, but the solution to that isn't to expand the playoff, the solution there is to reduce the number of bowls.

20 Bowls is about the right number, you've got your top 25 teams, and another 15 or so teams that likely won 7+ games. But I wouldn't argue with you if you took the number down to 15 bowls.

I think my argument is I’d rather watch 2 loss teams play against each other than 6 loss teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 pm 

One Post wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

And with juniors and seniors set to jump to the NFL, those 15 will see less and less interest. As it is hearing everyone involved in the playoffs as business trips, my interest in them has fallen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:34 pm 

One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

If we follows your bold logic, then if we have 24 teams in the playoff there will be even more meaningful games because you have 24 teams trying to build a resume?

And we can go even further and say if we have 100 teams then there will be more meaningful games because you have 100 teams trying to build a resume?

Also, your CBB can't compete because of the NFL doesn't hold water in that CFB, which still probably has the most meaningful regular season in all of sports seems to compete just fine LITERALLY going head to head with the NFL.

Long ago CBB chose to sacrifice any relevance its regular season has at the expense of unquestionably the best post season tournament in sports. It's not a virtue or a vice, it is just what it is. For about 100 years college football had the most relevant regular season, and probably still does. If they mimic what CBB has done, then we know the regular season will be incrementally devalued with each team added to the post season tournament.

What a straw man argument. You want good teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The minute they went to 4 team playoff the bowls were devalued. Previously the bowls were devalued when they were too many. Before that they were devalued when they threw out the weird fixed Big 8 #3 team vs. Pac 8 #5 team for "better" matchups. Bowls mean as much as they did at their peak relevance, which is still nothing unless you're a top 2 or 3 team. They're still just as entertaining because you have the MACtion type shootouts between teams you've never heard of, good games between good teams, and dog food games where some #5-#10 pedigree team is playing like they'd rather be anywhere else in the world at that moment, just like the old days

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:36 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

ND-Utah would’ve moved meters this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next