It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Transfer Portals
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
So far, not so good for MANY looking for greener pastures.

Post subject: Re: The Transfer Portals
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:09 pm 

Some of them had no choice, what are you going to do when you are told your scholarship is not going to be renewed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:22 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Some of them had no choice, what are you going to do when you are told your scholarship is not going to be renewed.

what's the percentages on that group?

I hope the NCAA surveyed the players. I think the answers would be fascinating.

My guess is that 60% are leaving to upgrade in program esteem. There has to be a good number who are leaving because the situation changed either with the coach or bringing in more senior players through the transfer portal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

My guess is that 60% are leaving to upgrade in program esteem. There has to be a good number who are leaving because the situation changed either with the coach or bringing in more senior players through the transfer portal.

I don't know but I know there were 3 Arkansas kids that were told there scholarships weren't going to renewed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:20 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I don't know but I know there were 3 Arkansas kids that were told there scholarships weren't going to renewed.

I'd love for the NCAA to respond by having contracts only not renewed for cause (with cause not including on court production)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:09 pm 

You should only enter the transfer portal by choice if you already have an offer from someone else coming. Going in blind when not forced, is really dumb.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 pm 

It just feeds on itself too. Even a player hasn't been told his scholarship wasn't being renewed, when a transfer comes in that pushes them down the depth chart, they then enter the portal.

They want to play, regardless if the school is an "upgrade" or not. Iowa State had 4 players transfer out (and 4 transfer in). 3 of the 4 that left ended up at East Carolina, Western Carolina, and Cleveland State.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I'd love for the NCAA to respond by having contracts only not renewed for cause (with cause not including on court production)

I used to think something like that was a good idea, i.e. you can't just kill a kid's scholarship because you want to bring in a better player. I also thought scholarships should be offered and guaranteed for four years, barring any disciplinary issues.

But now with the NIL money, I don't care. These are the professional athletes they wanted to be. It's a lot more honest than it was when it was pretending to be amateur athletics. If you can't get your money you should find another business just like any other professional.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I used to think something like that was a good idea, i.e. you can't just kill a kid's scholarship because you want to bring in a better player. I also thought scholarships should be offered and guaranteed for four years, barring any disciplinary issues.

But now with the NIL money, I don't care. These are the professional athletes they wanted to be. It's a lot more honest than it was when it was pretending to be amateur athletics. If you can't get your money you should find another business just like any other professional.

One of our state head FB coaches tried to pull a scholarship of a kid who signed a 4 year scholarship but graduated in three. When the AD told him no, he just told the kid not to come to football anymore and just go to class. He got his masters this past May.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:20 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I went to school on a golf scholarship at Union University in Jackson, TN. I was born and raised in Arkansas and will always be a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
One my good friend's sons is currently in the portal. He played for a low level D1 school last season and when he first announced that he was transferring my friend told me that a number of big time D1s was checking for him. One of them was a school in the SEC. It's been about 5-6 weeks and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't landed anywhere. I know they have to be worried.

The source of the problem can be traced back to AAU for a lot of these kids and there families. In AAU all kids do is switch teams all of the time. Whenever they feel that something isn't quite working for them they transfer to another team the very next week. This occurs until they find the right "fit". Which typically is any team that will "showcase" them and allow them to be the "man".

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:54 pm 

This past school year I sat in on a meeting with the parents of a child that plays for our school because they were unhappy with how their son was being utilized on the school basketball team. Father complains at every game and after awhile our principal was made aware of his constant complaining. While we were in the meeting the kid's mom stated that she was worried about her child and her child's "brand". I thought to myself what brand? He's a freshman in high school he shouldn't have a damn "brand" :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 am 

How has NIL changed the college baseball scene? I know prior to NIL even the best players at the top schools were footing the bill for some of their school and the overwhelming majority were only getting a sliver of a full scholarship.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:02 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

One of our state head FB coaches tried to pull a scholarship of a kid who signed a 4 year scholarship but graduated in three. When the AD told him no, he just told the kid not to come to football anymore and just go to class. He got his masters this past May.

Getting kicked off the team was probably the best thing that ever happened to him though he likely didn't think so at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
How has NIL changed the college baseball scene? I know prior to NIL even the best players at the top schools were footing the bill for some of their school and the overwhelming majority were only getting a sliver of a full scholarship.

I think we've only begun to scratch the surface of what this will turn into.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:06 am 

good dolphin wrote:

In the non-revenue sports, it seems mostly be a way to get around scholarship limits by giving NIL deals to walk-ons and partial scholarship players but some players are getting paid more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:26 am 

Last edited by Hawg Ass on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
The Missing Link wrote:
One my good friend's sons is currently in the portal. He played for a low level D1 school last season and when he first announced that he was transferring my friend told me that a number of big time D1s was checking for him. One of them was a school in the SEC. It's been about 5-6 weeks and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't landed anywhere. I know they have to be worried.

The source of the problem can be traced back to AAU for a lot of these kids and there families. In AAU all kids do is switch teams all of the time. Whenever they feel that something isn't quite working for them they transfer to another team the very next week. This occurs until they find the right "fit". Which typically is any team that will "showcase" them and allow them to be the "man".

I'm guessing but it could be no one envisioned the flood of kids "hitting the market".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:42 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I don't really think that it has much. I know that kids were getting partial baseball scholarships, but those were augmented with other scholarships, grants and stipends at the bigger schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:52 pm 

Nardi wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

I'm guessing but it could be no one envisioned the flood of kids "hitting the market".

They have also made it extremely easy for kids to become eligible these days. No one sits out a year after transferring these days. That makes a huge difference too.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:40 am 

Just mentioned in the Nebraska game that they have 18 new players from the portal.

And i know it’s only northwestern, but they just went down the field like there wasn’t even a defense out there

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
casual fan wrote:
Just mentioned in the Nebraska game that they have 18 new players from the portal.

And i know it’s only northwestern, but they just went down the field like there wasn’t even a defense out there

Another rebuilding year for my cats.. Kind of painful watch right now to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:11 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
casual fan wrote:

Another rebuilding year for my cats.. Kind of painful watch right now to be honest.

Plodding but for now beating (k)Nowledge U.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:15 pm 

Go cats.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:17 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Go cats.

ALRIGHT CATS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I was listening to the radio and GO CATS! had just taken the lead in the 4th. Nebraska QB goes back to pass and gets blindsided by a GO CAT! and the GO CATS! announcer almost stroked out. There was dead air for about 3 seconds cuz he had to catch his breath.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:26 am 

you cats fans certainly gave up quickly, and then you didn't

they usually play well when expectations are low

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:14 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

As someone who has watched them for 40 years it’s painful. It just is. They are my college team but I’ve watched them suck a lot. They played well and took advantage of a few breaks and an awful
Nebraska coach. I watched the whole game with Nebraska fans. It became less painful as the game concluded. But they hurt me more often than not. I’ll still watch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:47 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

As someone who has watched them for 40 years it’s painful. It just is. They are my college team but I’ve watched them suck a lot. They played well and took advantage of a few breaks and an awful
Nebraska coach. I watched the whole game with Nebraska fans. It became less painful as the game concluded. But they hurt me more often than not. I’ll still watch.

As a kid growing up with three favorite teams I was a decided front runner with established ties to two schools (Michigan and Alabama) and love for another perennial great (USC). When USC started falling off I became a guarded but hopeful Northwestern fan. After USC bombed the Cats in Pasadena I got guarded again. But it's easy to root for this program especially with the advantages we should have with the portal.

I hope.