It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
The College Football Playoff's board of managers unanimously voted Friday to expand the CFP to 12 teams in 2026 but is encouraging the sport's commissioners to try to implement it as soon as 2024.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:13 am 

They should institute a 68 team playoff so what was once the most important regular season in spectator sports is completely irrelevant, as opposed to mostly irrelevant which is where it is going.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:30 am 

no thanks

Isn't the best team pretty obvious by the end of the season almost all the time and at the start of the season many times?

The spread in the semifinal games has averaged 21 POINTS. I don't really need a final four. A final 12 will include some ridiculously unworthy teams.

It's good the way it is. I like top 20 teams playing fun bowl games with lots of programs feeling good about their direction at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:09 am 

good dolphin wrote:
no thanks

Isn't the best team pretty obvious by the end of the season almost all the time and at the start of the season many times?

The spread in the semifinal games has averaged 21 POINTS. I don't really need a final four. A final 12 will include some ridiculously unworthy teams.

It's good the way it is. I like top 20 teams playing fun bowl games with lots of programs feeling good about their direction at the end of the season.

Couldn't have said it better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I hate it, but at least it pretty much guarantees any average Notre Dame team makes the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
One Post wrote:
They should institute a 68 team playoff so what was once the most important regular season in spectator sports is completely irrelevant, as opposed to mostly irrelevant which is where it is going.

Completely agree. But I will take it a step further. Every team makes it. Start the playoffs the first week of September. Then we effectively make the playoffs the regular season, which was the way it used to be.

The diminishment of the regular season across sports is sad. I look forward to endless debate on how the #13 team got screwed out of playoff spot. And three loss teams getting in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
no thanks

Couldn't have said it better.

Yup yup. Lots of smart takes in this thread…..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Bowl games now mostly worthless futures exhibition games featuring underclassmen bench-warmers who won't even be starters the next season with new 4 and 5 stars and transfer portal roster spots pushing them back on the bench as the best players all sit out meaningless bowl games and the scores aren't any closer in bowl games vs the playoffs. it's college football, two out of three games of any designation are blow outs. Hell, Georgia curb stomped Alabama in the National Championship game this year. If you don't wanna see blow out games, don't watch college football or the NBA playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:58 am 

I've seen people make the argument that long term, a larger playoff field will help with getting some parity to the games. Right now, Alabama's back-ups can probably beat a bunch of power 5 schools. Maybe with a larger playoffs, some of the "5 stars" decide to spread out a little and go to the #5 thru #15 type schools and be starters sooner, instead of Alabama or Ohio State backups.

As far as college football having the most meaningful regular season, that might be true, for the 5 or 6 teams that have a realistic shot at the "final 4". If you look at all the games strictly with the goal of making the playoffs, I would guess that 90%+ of the games have no meaning. Oregon has played 1 game, and even if they run the table the rest of the way, games are probably "meaningless". There could be a sleeper team that isn't even ranked, and pulls off a "miracle" 10-2 season, but in terms of playoffs, their games are meaningless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
it does "diminish" the regular season. but the idea that we end the regular season and then wait a month for the playoff is one of the stupidest things on the planet that HAS to get fixed.

There is also a massive issue with parity. growth of the playoff has basically diminished the bowls to nothing. the BCS didn't but the BCS obviously never felt right. It just feels like we are fence straddling. I think there always have been elite teams but it just has felt different. and we went from a somewhat even distribution of 5 star talent to it funneling up to the top in the past 7 years. playing for a playoff team gives a player much more perks included enhanced exposure to the pros. I don't think its this GIANT outlier, but I think it definitely has merit.

Given that there is no preseason, often teams take a few games to work out bugs. its why they schedule utah state or colorado state often. there was a USC team a few years back that I think could of beat anyone. but they lost 2 games early on figuring themselves out and were screwed. because they played good teams while alabama was opening at home to Citadel or some crap.

I think we'll get much better non conference games moving forward with this.