It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caitlin Clark
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Angel Reese vs Jill Biden, does it get any better than when liberals eat their own?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Caller Bob wrote:
Angel Reese vs Jill Biden, does it get any better than when liberals eat their own?

Like The Squad vs. Pelosi? As BRogue already mentioned, they'll fall into line anyways. Reese is having her moment (she earned it), as RR mentioned earlier it's funny looking at people that clutching their pearls about it.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:01 am 

Jill Biden was just on Joe’s mind, because she died in Iraq.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I remember when everyone was all YAAAASSSS KIIING like they are now when Tim Thomas didnt go to meet Obama.

That dude never won a ring.

White people are winning this issue.

That royally roils you, doesn't it?

Also, please note that if "White" were elsewhere in the sentence, I would capitalize it, too. I mean, I capitalized "White" because it was the first word of the sentence, but if it were like, oh, say, the eighth word, I'd still capitalize that sh*t.

What's up with you this weekend? Nothing much here besides Easter celebrations and so forth.

Here's why I refuse to capitalize "black." Race is a social construct that has been destructive to society. So our answer to that is to further establish "Black" as categoory of people even as we rail against "whiteness"? It doesn't make any sense. Unless your purpose is to divide The People.

As usual you don't get it. Capitalizing Black in some circles has the same meaning as capitalizing Irish or German or any other ethnicity. It's an expression of pride, nothing more, nothing less. People that come up with the same tired attempts at distinction and claims that it's anything more than an expression of pride tend to speak volumes about themselves to Black people whether they know it or not.

It's one of the many things I hated about UIUC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Caller Bob wrote:

I view it more as a cultural divide wherein the most privileged (paid athletes) wage war on the medical community (represented by doctor Jill).

Sort of a revenge to the revenge of the nerds.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: John's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I view it more as a cultural divide wherein the most privileged (paid athletes) wage war on the medical community (represented by doctor Jill).

Sort of a revenge to the revenge of the nerds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I remember when everyone was all YAAAASSSS KIIING like they are now when Tim Thomas didnt go to meet Obama.

Also, please note that if "White" were elsewhere in the sentence, I would capitalize it, too. I mean, I capitalized "White" because it was the first word of the sentence, but if it were like, oh, say, the eighth word, I'd still capitalize that sh*t.

What's up with you this weekend? Nothing much here besides Easter celebrations and so forth.

Here's why I refuse to capitalize "black." Race is a social construct that has been destructive to society. So our answer to that is to further establish "Black" as categoory of people even as we rail against "whiteness"? It doesn't make any sense. Unless your purpose is to divide The People.

As usual you don't get it. Capitalizing Black in some circles has the same meaning as capitalizing Irish or German or any other ethnicity. It's an expression of pride, nothing more, nothing less. People that come up with the same tired attempts at distinction and claims that it's anything more than an expression of pride tend to speak volumes about themselves to Black people whether they know it or not.

Irish and German are nationalities, thus the capitalization. Skin colors are not. That said, if capitalizing "Black" or "White" is somehow empowering to some, knock yourself out, but it is incorrect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
"Lewis, I don't think those guys are Indians."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:33 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Irish and German are nationalities, thus the capitalization. Skin colors are not. That said, if capitalizing "Black" or "White" is somehow empowering to some, knock yourself out, but it is incorrect.

And exactly how is the reference to ethic/nationality NOT as or much more divisive. Besides, in this hypocritical country it's a distinction without a difference when it's all boiled down. Additionally, Black people aren't the ones in this country aren't the ones who placed an overarching emphasis on skin color, but capitalize Black and it's hilarious who bitches about it. So knock yourself out and keep bitching.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 am 

Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Tim Thomas is not white.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The balcks and other minorities are pretty much the only people required to be hyphenated Americans. We're going to capitalize that B until the hyphen is no longer needed. :afro: :afro:

I don't think I capitalize it on the rare occasions I use the term.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I won't capitalize balck though

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
KDdidit wrote:
I won't capitalize balck though

Racist!

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:30 pm 

White people should take over italics.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

But black and white are inextricably linked. There was no such thing as white prior to slavery.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:39 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

But black and white are inextricably linked. There was no such thing as white prior to slavery.

No, the divisions would have been based on religion...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Regular Reader wrote:
And exactly how is the reference to ethic/nationality NOT as or much more divisive. Besides, in this hypocritical country it's a distinction without a difference when it's all boiled down. Additionally, Black people aren't the ones in this country aren't the ones who placed an overarching emphasis on skin color, but capitalize Black and it's hilarious who bitches about it. So knock yourself out and keep bitching.

Who besides you is bitching? You can capitalize whatever you want.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:51 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Exactly!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:53 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Who besides you is bitching? You can capitalize whatever you want.

I'm not the one who brought this up or called it a cfmb divisive issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:12 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Are you saying in the 1600s-1800s the European settlers were divided amongst ethno-religious lines? No dispute there. But the roots of "whites" are still traced back to slavery period. Those ethno-religious blocs disappeared over time as successive generations created different identities. Religious lines are still present somewhat but the ethnic ones are negligible now. But even as that happened a new identity of whiteness emerged, and it only emerged because of the presence of slaves/slave descendants.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:13 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

When was the time prior to slavery?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:30 pm 

Are you implying there were other slavery regimes? Okay, yes, slavery was common in many places though the particularities differed. That said, slavery on this continent created what we now know as the black and white races.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:36 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Are you saying in the 1600s-1800s the European settlers were divided amongst ethno-religious lines? No dispute there. But the roots of "whites" are still traced back to slavery period. Those ethno-religious blocs disappeared over time as successive generations created different identities. Religious lines are still present somewhat but the ethnic ones are negligible now. But even as that happened a new identity of whiteness emerged, and it only emerged because of the presence of slaves/slave descendants.

I was agreeing with you and adding that the divisions would have been more along religious lines.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:44 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Are you implying there were other slavery regimes? Okay, yes, slavery was common in many places though the particularities differed. That said, slavery on this continent created what we now know as the black and white races.

Yes I’m saying slavery has existed in every part of the world for almost all of human history and also that Europeans didn’t introduce slavery to the Americas.

I guess you could say the age of exploration launched ‘white’ as a race, but I’m fairly sure most Europeans still saw themselves as distinct from one another well after the transatlantic slave trade started. Even into the 20th century, the most obvious example of a state built on white identity didn’t include a whole bunch of white peoples.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:25 pm 

At issue is not whether slavery existed elsewhere or if Euro American slavery was "first" or whatever, but it's about the genesis of the class/race "white" and how its roots come from the period we're talking about. It's true of course that "white" people identified themselves along more traditional lines for a long time, no doubt. But this parallel/competing category of white popped up as a result of a need to figure out a way to classify slaves and non slaves. You can trace how malleable the category is by noting how it's changed over the years. At one point Italians weren't included and now they are. I think middle eastern are still considered white according to the us census. Anyway, none of this is to suggest some sort of stigma to the category, but only to talk about its genesis. It is a modern category.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:38 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Tim Thomas is not white.

Tim Thomas was the Bruins goalie who didn't go to the White House in 2011 because of sovereign-citizen bullshit and I think eventually quit the NHL to fuck off to a compound in Idaho or something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:08 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Tim Thomas is not white.

Tim Thomas was the Bruins goalie who didn't go to the White House in 2011 because of sovereign-citizen bullshit and I think eventually quit the NHL to fuck off to a compound in Idaho or something.

Not my Tim Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Bud Light probably offering her a contract next

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Just not the shooting, but the 12 assists are all amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:02 am 

you watch the women's game and there are like 10 good teams, if that. The second half of their top 25 are terrible. The top few all have these long winning streaks that last multiple years. It's like UCLA back in the 60s. There just isn't competition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next