It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caitlin Clark
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:33 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that a thread originally focused on Caitlin Clark has morphed into an extended debate regarding the public perception and merits of Ed Cooley's coaching prowess?

I just hope it gets ignored I was actually wrong about Porter Moser getting a bigger job but maybe I should have been right given Moser is already on the hot seat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
man of few opinions wrote:
anything can happen when Brick tries to out-reason Link.

Yes! This is a slobberknocker for sure between two heavyweights.

And I am not poking fun at them. This is a good discussion, too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
Are you sure? He is certainly considered as much of a 'genius' as anyone in college basketball.

Who are the geniuses in college basketball?

Rick Pitino. Still
Mark Few.
Bryce Drew.
Bill Self.
Tom Izzo. Still.

That's a pretty terrible list but it's mostly just you picking current coaches with national titles and then Mark Few.

Izzo, Self, Pitino all have winning % of over 70% for their career but it's "terrible" to think of them as "geniuses". Ed Cooley career winning % of 57% not so much

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:51 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
Are you sure? He is certainly considered as much of a 'genius' as anyone in college basketball.

Rick Pitino. Still
Mark Few.
Bryce Drew.
Bill Self.
Tom Izzo. Still.

That's a pretty terrible list but it's mostly just you picking current coaches with national titles and then Mark Few.

Izzo, Self, Pitino all have winning % of over 70% for their career but it's "terrible" to think of them as "geniuses". Ed Cooley career winning % of 57% not so much
Again, Cooley is over 60% for his career and much of that was at basketball powerhouse Providence.

Genius criteria:
1) National title
2) Many F4's
3) 70%+ winning percentage

Is that roughly correct? You don't need all of them but you need to get at least 2 of them.

So, outside of John Thompson, who I would definitely put in as a genius, who else should be on the list that isn't?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:57 am 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

Rick Pitino. Still
Mark Few.
Bryce Drew.
Bill Self.
Tom Izzo. Still.

Again, Cooley is over 60% for his career and much of that was at basketball powerhouse Providence.

Genius criteria:
1) National title
2) Many F4's

Is that roughly correct? You don't need all of them but you need to get at least 2 of them.

So, outside of John Thompson, who I would definitely put in as a genius, who else should be on the list that isn't?

Ed Cooley does not have a 60% career winning percentage. And he has never been to a Final Four either. Thus what do you have to suggest that he is a "genius" coach?

And keep.in mind your initial suggestion was that it was a "terrible" list. So if that list of guys with much better bodies of work than Ed Cooley is "terrible" then what does that make your reference to Ed Cooley?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:06 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

Rick Pitino. Still
Mark Few.
Bryce Drew.
Bill Self.
Tom Izzo. Still.

Genius criteria:
1) National title
2) Many F4's

Ed Cooley does not have a 60% career winning percentage. And he has never been to a Final Four either. Thus what do you have to suggest that he is a "genius" coach?

And keep.in mind your initial suggestion was that it was a "terrible" list. So if that list of guys with much better bodies of work than Ed Cooley is "terrible" then what does that make your reference to Ed Cooley?

92–69 at Fairfield
242–153 at Providence
334–222 (.601) overall record.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:13 pm 

Brick wrote:
92–69 at Fairfield
242–153 at Providence
334–222 (.601) overall record.

Bryce Drew has a higher winning % than him and so does his Brother Scott. Whom i meant instead of Bryce.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:23 pm 

Ed Cooley would not meet your standards for a "genius". We have established that.

Let's move on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:41 pm 

Brick wrote:
Ed Cooley would not meet your standards for a "genius". We have established that.

Let's move on.

No one else besides yourself has Ed Cooley on that list. With that being said it's going to be difficult to move on from that. And you do not quite "understand" the point so why are continuing to argue the point?

And since you have John Thompson in the "genius" category explain why very few from his "coaching tree" have ever gotten head coaching jobs anywhere?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:44 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
No one else besides yourself has Ed Cooley on that list.
Ed Cooley has a national coach of the year award and reportedly is getting what would be the second highest salary in the country based on the season that just ended.

The Missing Link wrote:
With that being said it's going to be difficult to move on from that. And you do not quite "understand" the point so why are continuing to argue the point?
It's because you don't have an answer to the very simple question of who else besides John Thompson was a "genius" but didn't get credit for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:15 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
No one else besides yourself has Ed Cooley on that list.
Ed Cooley has a national coach of the year award and reportedly is getting what would be the second highest salary in the country based on the season that just ended.

The Missing Link wrote:
With that being said it's going to be difficult to move on from that. And you do not quite "understand" the point so why are continuing to argue the point?
It's because you don't have an answer to the very simple question of who else besides John Thompson was a "genius" but didn't get credit for it.

Nolan Richardson. And he has said this on numerous occasions too.

And again all you have to do is look at the list of assistants (which you keep pooh poohing) from the genius coaching tree in order for my point to be validated.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:24 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
So another coach that won a national title and made multiple F4's. I agree he should be considered a great coach.

Is that the list or is there anyone else? It's stupid for anyone to downplay how good of a coach someone is who has a national title. We can agree on that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:36 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
So another coach that won a national title and made multiple F4's. I agree he should be considered a great coach.

Is that the list or is there anyone else? It's stupid for anyone to downplay how good of a coach someone is who has a national title. We can agree on that.

You still can't seem to answer the question as to why Pitino (who you clearly don't think is a genius) assistants are able to get top college jobs while Thompson (who you do place in the genius category) get crappy jobs whenever they got jobs.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:39 pm 

Lets just simplify this thing and say the only real genius to ever coach college basketball is Bobby Knight.

:D

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:44 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

You still can't seem to answer the question as to why Pitino (who you clearly don't think is a genius) assistants are able to get top college jobs while Thompson (who you do place in the genius category) get crappy jobs whenever they got jobs.

I believe I did answer that before when I said that it was difficult for non-white coaches to get head coaching jobs in the past. It's improved but it still isn't all the way fixed. That isn't the discussion we were having though. It was about successful coaches never being called "genius" if they were non-white and then I pointed out a few names that are considered among the best right who are non-white and then you went on to bash Ed Cooley for a long time and then say that Georgetown was maybe a better job than Northwestern.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
This is how Caitlin Clark feels about the direction of this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:21 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

I believe I did answer that before when I said that it was difficult for non-white coaches to get head coaching jobs in the past. It's improved but it still isn't all the way fixed. That isn't the discussion we were having though. It was about successful coaches never being called "genius" if they were non-white and then I pointed out a few names that are considered among the best right who are non-white and then you went on to bash Ed Cooley for a long time and then say that Georgetown was maybe a better job than Northwestern.

You made an inane point about him being "considered" a genius as a way of trying to establish an equivalency and rightly you were called out for it because it's false.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:23 pm 

I'm sorry thinking a guy who won the National Coach Of The Year award a year ago and just got paid the second highest salary in the game as of now could be considered a basketball "genius".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:29 pm 

Brick wrote:
I'm sorry thinking a guy who won the National Coach Of The Year award a year ago and just got paid the second highest salary in the game as of now could be considered a basketball "genius".

Salary? :lol: :lol: Highest paid Coach Calipari isn't included in the list of "genius" coaches either.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:34 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

Salary? :lol: :lol: Highest paid Coach Calipari isn't included in the list of "genius" coaches either.

So Pitino and Self are there but not Calipari?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Caitlin Clark does not care about the end of game taunt:

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:52 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Classy. I hope my son grows up to be just like her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Brick wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Classy. I hope my son grows up to be just like her.

You hope your son transitions and competes in woman's sports?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:30 pm 

So to sum it up:
Genius:
Rick Pitino. Still
Mark Few.
Bryce Drew and his brother.
Bill Self.
Tom Izzo. Still.

Genius but no one calls them a genius:
Nolan Richardson
John Thompson

Not a Genius:
Ed Cooley
John Calipari
Anyone who was an assistant for a genius.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:34 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

So Pitino and Self are there but not Calipari?

Yeah.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RFDC wrote:
Lets just simplify this thing and say the only real genius to ever coach college basketball is Bobby Knight.

:D

That actually may be true.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:21 pm 

Were any of these coaches featured in the Real Men of Genius ads? That’s the true measure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
W_Z wrote:
Were any of these coaches featured in the Real Men of Genius ads? That’s the true measure.

God, those (and the original Real American Heroes) commercials were the best ads the Score ever aired.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:44 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
W_Z wrote:

God, those (and the original Real American Heroes) commercials were the best ads the Score ever aired.

https://youtu.be/gZNSKuElluM

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: What??
badrogue17 wrote:
I always thought that John Wooden was the only one really known as a genius coach

Him and Tex Winter. I think you have to be inventive to some degree. Otherwise, it's just getting talent and getting teamwork

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next