It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:50 am 

My guess is that he will move on to being a position coach in the NFL and try to ascend from there, which he will.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:51 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
His kid is a returning starter at QB for the state champs. He's going to have a lot of offers and I wouldn't be surprised if someone includes an offer to his father as a package deal.
His son is barely on the radar and QB recruiting for his class is getting close to complete. He likely would have to walk on to any team above the MAC but maybe he would do that if his dad does take a coordinator or analyst job.

I predict he ends up the NIU head coach after the legal stuff gets worked out.

from what I can see, he has 4 MAC offers and interest from at least 2 B10 according to rivals. Give him another year and he'll have a B10 offer.

QB recruiting goes fast though. Many teams already have their QB for the class. The two Big Ten schools he had interest from already took a QB in that class. It's rare to take two of them in a class unless one is in line for a position move.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I could see him hanging onto a high school job just to avoid moving.

He’s been in the Chicago area his whole life, save for a couple years. He’s rich. He’s old enough where he doesn’t have the time to work his way back up into a job he’d actually want. He wasn’t all that good at the job he had. Just call it a career and be one of those weird football dads.

I agree. Doesn't Braun's success with Fitzgerald's players expose Coach Tummy Sticks as a guy who's lost his fastball?

They definitely got stale under him. I'd recommend you take a look at the history of NU football. Randy Walker and Barnett became mini legends and they were under .500 for their careers. Dennis Green, who was a borderline great coach, had a .182%. Ara Parsagien is a HOF and he barely got over .500.

I don't think we appreciate just how difficult the task is to have accomplished even the modest record Fitzgerald did at NU.

I couldn't be more impressed with Braun. I wrote earlier in this thread that he should be coach of the year when they only had two wins.

I don't think Fitz was ever exalted as an X's and O's guy. He was a recruiter (Which was his job under Walker) and a motivator. Having watched NU under Peay when my brother attended and watching early Barnett years it's hard not to not forget how much a shit show that program was. Professors would occasionally talk about the Green years in classes (Mostly in regards to how it led up to the NU vs Princeton game. It was some nerdy Econ lectures that I can't remember much about except the random game reference. I probably should have paid more attention. That phrase could explain a lot of my experience on the lake front.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
The "rise" of NU football is as much or more a product of Pat Ryan's investment in it (along with other alums) as it is anything else.

When Francis Peay coached at NU, the program easily had the worst facilities in the Big Ten, no academic support staff, an underfunded coaching staff, etc.

All of that is very different today.

Pat Fitzgerald didn't overperform as NU football coach; rather, he underperformed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:02 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
His kid is a returning starter at QB for the state champs. He's going to have a lot of offers and I wouldn't be surprised if someone includes an offer to his father as a package deal.
His son is barely on the radar and QB recruiting for his class is getting close to complete. He likely would have to walk on to any team above the MAC but maybe he would do that if his dad does take a coordinator or analyst job.

I predict he ends up the NIU head coach after the legal stuff gets worked out.

from what I can see, he has 4 MAC offers and interest from at least 2 B10 according to rivals. Give him another year and he'll have a B10 offer.

QB recruiting goes fast though. Many teams already have their QB for the class. The two Big Ten schools he had interest from already took a QB in that class. It's rare to take two of them in a class unless one is in line for a position move.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about high school recruiting. Best I can do is parrot what I read.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:07 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
The "rise" of NU football is as much or more a product of Pat Ryan's investment in it (along with other alums) as it is anything else.

When Francis Peay coached at NU, the program easily had the worst facilities in the Big Ten, no academic support staff, an underfunded coaching staff, etc.

All of that is very different today.

Pat Fitzgerald didn't overperform as NU football coach; rather, he underperformed.

That's a unique take.