It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Doctor Of Style wrote:
Do you think the talent level of today's College Basketball is the same as when Derrick Rose played?

I have no idea how to judge such a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:33 am 
Site Admin

In Rayvonte Rice's 2 seasons with the Illini, the team was 16-20 in the Conference.

When Weber was the coach of the Illini, Julian Wright, Sherron Collins, and Derrick Rose were all playing in the same game for an NCAA Championship. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Weber didn't coach Rayvonte Rice.

Anyway, I'm not sure what your point is. Like I said, you're all over the place.

Also, you may have missed it but the official record of Derrick Rose's college team is 0-1.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:42 am 

It is not really fair to compare teams from the 80s to the early 2000s or to now. We have left the one and done era, and are now in the start of the portal/NIL era. Ten years ago the former SIU coach is probably landing a bigger job today after going on a tournament run. Instead his team was picked apart after last season by bigger schools and he got fired despite having winning record this year.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Weber didn't coach Rayvonte Rice. .

Point me in the direction of where I said that he did? I remember when he transferred in. My high school friend was their assistant coach then..
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Anyway, I'm not sure what your point is. Like I said, you're all over the place.

The point is clear. Weber couldn't recruit and that is why he deserved to get fired. He couldn't even get in the room with any of the top recruits and your point about Rayvonte Rice only validates this. His record in the Big Ten also validated why he deserved to get whacked
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Also, you may have missed it but the official record of Derrick Rose's college team is 0-1.

Still doesn't change the fact that He, Sherron Collins, and Julian Wright all played in the NCAA Championship game at the very same time. And all were Illinois Products that didn't give Weber the time of day. He was an OK coach and a terrible recruiter. No way can you ever win with that as the formula.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:48 am 

conns7901 wrote:
It is not really fair to compare teams from the 80s to the early 2000s or to now. We have left the one and done era, and are now in the start of the portal/NIL era. Ten years ago the former SIU coach is probably landing a bigger job today after going on a tournament run. Instead his team was picked apart after last season by bigger schools and he got fired despite having winning record this year.

It's fair to compare them. What's unfair is believing that the eras are very much the same.
Jorr believes that that there is absolutely no difference. Which is just asinine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:13 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:

It's fair to compare them. What's unfair is believing that the eras are very much the same.
Jorr believes that that there is absolutely no difference. Which is just asinine.

I don't believe they are "the same" in many regards as conns notes above but I really have no idea how to judge and compare the talent and depth or lack thereof between the eras.

Basketball fans have some weird ideas. They think guys like Mikan and Cousy were slow, tiny, unathletic and white. They are only correct about the last one. They have these thoughts about players evolving but somehow the evolution stopped with Michael Jordan and players forty years ago were better than the guys playing today.

One thing that makes the game and the talent very difficult to compare across eras is the constant traveling and carrying that is allowed in today's game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:20 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I don't believe they are "the same" in many regards as conns notes above but I really have no idea how to judge and compare the talent and depth or lack thereof between the eras.

Basketball fans have some weird ideas. They think guys like Mikan and Cousy were slow, tiny, unathletic and white. They are only correct about the last one. They have these thoughts about players evolving but somehow the evolution stopped with Michael Jordan and players forty years ago were better than the guys playing today.

One thing that makes the game and the talent very difficult to compare across eras is the constant traveling and carrying that is allowed in today's game.

It's actually very easy to decipher the talent disparity between the Rose era and today. Look at the NBA draft. Very few of the top 10 guys in this year's or last year's draft actually played college basketball. When Derrick Rose played the top ten was comprised mostly of 1 and dones that were very good college players. It's not "weird" at all and hardly applicable to the 1950's either. When Rose played all of the top guys for the draft still played at least a year of college basketball. Today they don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Skill level has progressed obviously. Progression however sees diminishing returns. And progression between sports, say baseball, which has been around since the civil war, makes it easier to compare eras. You are blind if you can't see the exponential growth from George Mikan to Hakeem Olajuwon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Skill level has progressed obviously. Progression however sees diminishing returns. And progression between sports, say baseball, which has been around since the civil war, makes it easier to compare eras. You are blind if you can't see the exponential growth from George Mikan to Hakeem Olajuwon.

:lol: You've never seen Mikan. You've seen photos and perhaps deteriorating film of him.

The idea that humans "evolved" in a generation or two is absurd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

:lol: You've never seen Mikan. You've seen photos and perhaps deteriorating film of him.

Who said they evolved? Basketball wasn't even a thing until after WW2. They were "figuring it out" for 25 years.

I guess lead pipes are just as good as copper?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

His point had nothing to do with this though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Who said they evolved? Basketball wasn't even a thing until after WW2. They were "figuring it out" for 25 years.

I guess lead pipes are just as good as copper?

What are you saying then? You seem to believe that Olajuwan is a superior physical specimen when compared to Mikan.

Is Mikan a lead pipe and Olajuwan copper? Is Jordan a bar of silver and LeBron pure platinum?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:15 pm 

YES! Hakeem has extra muscles and a six fingers. His knees can bend front and back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:58 pm 

Can't say this is much of a,surprise. Dain Dainja is in the portal.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 229729134/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table

Why is Hawkins leaving? Seems like he could have starred next season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:08 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Morez Johnson is coming. Consensus Top 25 player out of high school. And I think they like the Hansberry kid too. And they will probably get a decent big out of the portal.
I hope DePaul Swoops Him Up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

I was wondering the same thing - he must be in a hurry to start making money in China or Italy or somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dain Dainja wrote:
This place will forever be family to me. With that said, I will be entering the transfer portal.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Dain is gonna go somewhere next year and kick ass. He clearly was in underwood’s doghouse most of the year and for reasons we will never know underwood chose Saturday night to teach him a “life lesson”.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Illini Women's Basketball playing Nova in the WBIT Title Game Thursday! Who's making the short trip to Indy to watch?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 pm 

I'm going to Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:29 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Morez Johnson is coming. Consensus Top 25 player out of high school. And I think they like the Hansberry kid too. And they will probably get a decent big out of the portal.
I hope DePaul Swoops Him Up.

probably a bit too big time for Loyola but he'd be perfect for what they are looking for

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:48 am 

Illinois has a lot of work to do to keep Brad Underwood now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:31 pm 

They just need to work on NILs. It doesn't much matter who the coach is anymore just as long as he's competent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:39 pm 

Nardi wrote:
They just need to work on NILs. It doesn't much matter who the coach is anymore just as long as he's competent.

They had one of the best NIL systems in the country from the start.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:44 pm 

Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:

No need to worry about the coach then. Just pay the most.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:47 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Well you aren't outbidding Indiana any more but Illinois is going to be really good next year too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:49 pm 

Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Well you aren't outbidding Indiana any more but Illinois is going to be really good next year too.

Then why do they have to work hard to keep Underwood? He's obviously nothing special.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:09 pm 

I'm not making a judgement on Underwood. The knock on him was that he had never gotten past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament but that's gone now.

He's supposedly been unhappy all year and the Shannon situation was a near breaking point when he got suspended.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:13 pm 

NIL ran Saban out of Alabama....Bye, Brad. Good luck to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next