It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Thread title is in jest of course but this could be a pretty interesting team to watch. I wasn't able to catch the game last night but checked in from time to time online. Got off to a slow start but eventually turned it on in the opener. Reviewing the box score this morning and didn't see much in the way of offense from the starters. Hawkins with 1 point and only 14 minutes seemed odd. Bench scored and a great start for freshman Gibbs-Lawhorn. Same old Illini in certain categories like turnovers with 12 and free throws barely above 50%. Ugh.

They had a nice win in the exhibition against Kansas and are ranked #25 but I suspect it will be another roller coaster season. Oakland this Friday should be more of a test and then #5 Marquette next week could be interesting at home but I suspect they will get beaten. Other than that game their non-conference also features 2 other top 10 teams and the border battle with Mizzou so if they come in at 6-3 to start league play I wouldn't be too shocked but good to have some solid competition early. They take on Purdue and Michigan State very early this year so will be very telling by middle of January whether they have a shot at the NCAAs or not. Can't believe Michigan State dropped a game at home last night.

No one else will care but one of my favorite players Sencire Harris, who was kind of one of their energy guys and defensive stoppers has decided to redshirt this year in hopes of putting on at least 15 pounds of muscle. Sorry to see him go but probably the right move for the rest of his college career.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:18 am 

Didn’t watch but Oakland gave the Illini a run like figured they would. I’ll be tuning in Tuesday to see how they do against Marquette.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:34 am 

7pm tipoff tonight on FS1 against #4 Marquette. Should be an interesting game and the Illini are going to have to play very well to keep up with this team. Apparently, the last year of the Big Ten vs Big East early season matchups. Between this and the old Big Ten/ACC early season games, it was usually an interesting early season contest. I guess there was an offer to extend this series but the Big Ten turned it down, possibly because they have 4 more teams coming in and needed room in the conference schedule. Hoping the Illini can get out of the blocks strong, which is something they haven't done the first two games and keep it close to the end. Marquette can really fill it up and Illinois can defend fairly well this year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I'm looking forward to getting my first look at the Illini tonight. Hopefully they don't lay an egg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Foul this Ighodaro guy every time he shoots. Has to be the worst free throw shooter I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
T-Bone wrote:
I guess there was an offer to extend this series but the Big Ten turned it down, possibly because they have 4 more teams coming in and needed room in the conference schedule.

I think it had to do with the games not being on the Big Ten Network. Too bad--that was always fun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I had no idea that Shaka Smart was coaching Marquette.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:44 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I had no idea that Shaka Smart was coaching Marquette.

Has done a good job. Let's see if he screws this team up.

Illini are a little too aggressive trying to push it up the floor. Some stupid possessions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:47 pm 

Hawkins is a turnover machine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
They’re done. Good game for a while though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:55 pm 

Franky T wrote:

He does a lot of good things . . . but he makes so many mistakes. Then he'll play like a star against mediocre teams.

Illini can't finish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:27 am 

A bit of a frustrating game to watch. The usual Illini calling cards were there most notably the turnovers and streaky shooting. They have to keep the turnovers into the single digits. Shannon and Hawkins with 5 each... ugh. Just don't have a reliable scorer on this team that can fill it up from the outside yet. I thought they played tough D and that will help them in the Big Ten but this teams issue will be filling up the score sheet. The point guard from Marquette Kolek just exposed them all over the place. Was pleasantly surprised with Domask who appears to be a nice pickup from the portal and some veteran experience. They have a couple of games to try to shore things up and pick up some victories but FAU and Tennessee back to back games looming in early December will be very telling. Appears it is going to be another season of being a bubble team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:00 am 

T-Bone wrote:
A bit of a frustrating game to watch. The usual Illini calling cards were there most notably the turnovers and streaky shooting. They have to keep the turnovers into the single digits. Shannon and Hawkins with 5 each... ugh. Just don't have a reliable scorer on this team that can fill it up from the outside yet. I thought they played tough D and that will help them in the Big Ten but this teams issue will be filling up the score sheet. The point guard from Marquette Kolek just exposed them all over the place. Was pleasantly surprised with Domask who appears to be a nice pickup from the portal and some veteran experience. They have a couple of games to try to shore things up and pick up some victories but FAU and Tennessee back to back games looming in early December will be very telling. Appears it is going to be another season of being a bubble team.

Another undisciplined Brad Underwood team that gives away offensive opportunities.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Franky T wrote:

He does a lot of good things . . . but he makes so many mistakes. Then he'll play like a star against mediocre teams.

Illini can't finish

He had several big blocks down the stretch last night when things were tight and the Illini were hanging tough, but I gotta tell you, when you need a big shot to go down, he is not the guy I want shooting the ball. When he first got to Champaign I used to think he was going to be a scoring threat that commanded the ball, but he really seems to just be taking up space in the offense. There were a few times last night he could have made big shots and you just knew they weren't going down, its like he forgot how to shoot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:23 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Illini can't finish

He had several big blocks down the stretch last night when things were tight and the Illini were hanging tough, but I gotta tell you, when you need a big shot to go down, he is not the guy I want shooting the ball. When he first got to Champaign I used to think he was going to be a scoring threat that commanded the ball, but he really seems to just be taking up space in the offense. There were a few times last night he could have made big shots and you just knew they weren't going down, its like he forgot how to shoot.

Defensively, he is pretty good, and he has had so much playing time over his career, he knows what to do.

But those late-game fadeaway seven-foot shots that innocuously bounce off the front of the rim into the welcoming hands of the man who was guarding him have simply got to go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:07 am 

Didn't tune into the last two games but looked like a couple of ho hum wins against some smaller schools. Looking at the box scores what I found most interesting is that I didn't see Hawkins play in either matchup. Apparently, he has an injury and been getting treatment for a knee. Quote from coach below....

“Leadership," Illinois coach Brad Underwood said he wants to see from Hawkins. "I’ve got no problem with what he’s doing defensively. He’s an initiator offensively and he’s helping us create those things. We’re putting the ball in his hands a lot, asking him to make the right plays and screen and play a lot of minutes. I’ve got no problems with the way Coleman’s playing. He’s doing a good job. He just can’t turn it over five times."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 am 

FAU lays an egg over the weekend losing by 9 to ..... Bryant? Their first win over a ranked opponent in the history of the program.

Tennessee tips against Purdue tonight in Hawaii. Purdue won against Gonzaga last night and looked pretty good in doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:49 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
Didn't tune into the last two games but looked like a couple of ho hum wins against some smaller schools. Looking at the box scores what I found most interesting is that I didn't see Hawkins play in either matchup. Apparently, he has an injury and been getting treatment for a knee. Quote from coach below....

“Leadership," Illinois coach Brad Underwood said he wants to see from Hawkins. "I’ve got no problem with what he’s doing defensively. He’s an initiator offensively and he’s helping us create those things. We’re putting the ball in his hands a lot, asking him to make the right plays and screen and play a lot of minutes. I’ve got no problems with the way Coleman’s playing. He’s doing a good job. He just can’t turn it over five times."

I don't have a problem with the way he's playing, but I have a problem with the way he's playing. WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Franky T wrote:

Illini can't finish

Defensively, he is pretty good, and he has had so much playing time over his career, he knows what to do.

But those late-game fadeaway seven-foot shots that innocuously bounce off the front of the rim into the welcoming hands of the man who was guarding him have simply got to go.

He's one of those guys who is an athlete but not a basketball player. You look at him (LOOK AT HIS BODY!) and think he should be way better than he is. The man looks like a statue of a Greek God but he sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Illini can't finish

Was this meant for the Justin Fields thread?

He's one of those guys who is an athlete but not a basketball player. You look at him (LOOK AT HIS BODY!) and think he should be way better than he is. The man looks like a statue of a Greek God but he sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:16 pm 

Been a few years since they won at Rutgers. Glad to have this game done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Only ph@gs watch basketball on championship Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: BlandZa
whitesoxfanfrank wrote:

And if we look at the replay, we can clearly see that this is Caller Bob. A misplaced insult? An obsession with gay men? Butting into a conversation that does not involve him? From here, I can confidently say that that's Caller Bob.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:27 am 

Looked much better offensively. 17 turnovers though, :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:17 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

Hope they get that under control...three tough games before Christmas....including against FAU in New York.

Underwood seems to be able to live with the turnovers. Killed them against Marquette.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:05 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Hope they get that under control...three tough games before Christmas....including against FAU in New York.

Underwood seems to be able to live with the turnovers. Killed them against Marquette.

Yeah they seem to be resigned as something they just live with. If they could take care of the ball better and shoot free throws better than 57.8% things would look a bit more promising in some close conference games bound to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Dean Blandino wrote:
whitesoxfanfrank wrote:

And if we look at the replay, we can clearly see that this is Caller Bob. A misplaced insult? An obsession with gay men? Butting into a conversation that does not involve him? From here, I can confidently say that that's Caller Bob.

:lol: :lol:

This mult has potential.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:34 pm 

5:30 tip Tuesday night in Madison Square Garden. Opening game of a nice double dip. #20 Illini vs #13 Florida Atlantic. #9 UNC vs #5 UConn tips off after they finish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:40 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
5:30 tip Tuesday night in Madison Square Garden. Opening game of a nice double dip. #20 Illini vs #13 Florida Atlantic. #9 UNC vs #5 UConn tips off after they finish.

Thanks for the reminder. I would love to see a basketball game at MSG sometime. One of my "bucket list" sports venues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:36 pm 

That big guy on FAU is one heck of a player.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next