It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:59 am 

One Post wrote:
I don't need any of that coalcar full of bullshit to know that PSU isn't one of the top tier teams in college football. All we have to do is roll the tape from the past 12 weeks, their second best win was against the Delaware Blue Hens. I don't need to seem them play Georgia to know they aren't a top team this year, the regular season has proven that.
That's fine but that also means that PSU has no shot at actually winning the national title. That's what makes your complaint so meaningless in regards to PSU. They aren't good enough to win the national title and in either system they aren't winning the national title. We also knew Iowa wasn't winning the Big Ten title game. The game was still played.

One Post wrote:
You can save all your equivocation for when you suck off the Big 10 Comish or something. The conferences and TV execs want more money, full stop. They are making the post season easier to access and thus making the regular season less valuable, full stop. They are doing this for money. If your position is that you enjoy a more inclusive postseason that is a fine and justifiable position, but there is no question it devalues the regular season. It isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it just is a thing.
The tradeoff is that an undefeated conference champion from a power conference just got told they don't get a chance at a title because they didn't beat Louisville by enough.

Ultimately, I think this is why you have to pivot to the "PSU isn't winning the national title this year either way" because there are at least 3 teams out of the playoffs that could win the national title this year. OSU and Georgia would have equal odds for the title that Alabama has. FSU would be there too if healthy and even with their backup they'd be a legitimate threat. That also ignores that Oregon absolutely crushed almost everyone who wasn't Washington this year and they lost to Washington by a combined 6 points. Only two other games they played were even competitive and it was a really tough schedule.

As I said before, 8 games is probably ideal. However, 12 teams gives MORE importance on regular season games. The bye game is going to prove to be a really important thing to get just like it is in the NFL. I already laid out why the Michigan/OSU game this year would have been just as important.

College football will survive with a 12 team playoff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:09 pm 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
I don't need any of that coalcar full of bullshit to know that PSU isn't one of the top tier teams in college football. All we have to do is roll the tape from the past 12 weeks, their second best win was against the Delaware Blue Hens. I don't need to seem them play Georgia to know they aren't a top team this year, the regular season has proven that.
That's fine but that also means that PSU has no shot at actually winning the national title. That's what makes your complaint so meaningless in regards to PSU. They aren't good enough to win the national title and in either system they aren't winning the national title. We also knew Iowa wasn't winning the Big Ten title game. The game was still played.

One Post wrote:
You can save all your equivocation for when you suck off the Big 10 Comish or something. The conferences and TV execs want more money, full stop. They are making the post season easier to access and thus making the regular season less valuable, full stop. They are doing this for money. If your position is that you enjoy a more inclusive postseason that is a fine and justifiable position, but there is no question it devalues the regular season. It isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it just is a thing.
The tradeoff is that an undefeated conference champion from a power conference just got told they don't get a chance at a title because they didn't beat Louisville by enough.

Ultimately, I think this is why you have to pivot to the "PSU isn't winning the national title this year either way" because there are at least 3 teams out of the playoffs that could win the national title this year. OSU and Georgia would have equal odds for the title that Alabama has. FSU would be there too if healthy and even with their backup they'd be a legitimate threat. That also ignores that Oregon absolutely crushed almost everyone who wasn't Washington this year and they lost to Washington by a combined 6 points. Only two other games they played were even competitive and it was a really tough schedule.

As I said before, 8 games is probably ideal. However, 12 teams gives MORE importance on regular season games. The bye game is going to prove to be a really important thing to get just like it is in the NFL. I already laid out why the Michigan/OSU game this year would have been just as important.

Michigan/Ohio State loser this year was eliminated from winning a national title, but next year will be just as important when the loser still makes the tournament, but just doesn't have a bye. Sounds reasonable...

You seem to think the bye is so important. Don't view 2023 as a four team playoff, just look at it as a 12 team tournament and these four teams advanced with byes to the final four. What is more valuable a bye to the semi-finals or a bye to the quarter finals?

Nobody is saying college football is doomed because of a 12 team playoff, it's just going to reduce the value of the regular season. You need look no further than college basketball.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:21 pm 

One Post wrote:
Michigan/Ohio State loser this year was eliminated from winning a national title, but next year will be just as important when the loser still makes the tournament, but just doesn't have a bye. Sounds reasonable...
Well, last year the same thing happened. The game still mattered.

But yes, the winner of OSU/Michigan almost certainly gets a bye in the first round while the loser may very well have to play a road game against an SEC team in the quarterfinals and almost certainly will at least have to play a home game in the quarterfinals.

One Post wrote:
You seem to think the bye is so important. Don't view 2023 as a four team playoff, just look at it as a 12 team tournament and these four teams advanced with byes to the final four. What is more valuable a bye to the semi-finals or a bye to the quarter finals?
Everyone thinks the bye is important. NFL teams all play all their starters until they get it. Do you think OSU is going to sit their players during the OSU/Michigan game because they are both going to be in the top 12? :lol:

One Post wrote:
Nobody is saying college football is doomed because of a 12 team playoff, it's just going to reduce the value of the regular season. You need look no further than college basketball.
You are being really overdramatic about it though. It's nothing like the college basketball tournament either. 12 teams make the new playoff, with at least 2 teams being guaranteed to be from the non-P4. Roughly 40 major conference teams make the NCAA basketball tournament. 20-12 can make the basketball tournament. 10-2 Oklahoma would have been left out this year and 10-2 Ole Miss would have been left out in the future due to the 6 conference champions rule once the Pac 12 is no longer factored in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The portal/people skipping bowls might come into play more than the NCAA would like. Sure the top 4 teams will be full strength, but will kids on the #12 seed who want to go in the portal or potential first round picks think getting smoked is worth the risk? If one of the reasons FSU didn’t get in is because the QB was hurt, then a team in the playoffs should have to guarantee their roster to get in or else how would we know the #13 wouldn’t now be better if people skip out? Obviously that won’t happen, but still.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Hussra wrote:
as does having half your roster enter the transfer portal (tOSU has 12 Dr Who'ing it, incl QB McCord) + no doubt Harrison Deuce and other potential early round NFL Buckeye draft picks taking a pew for the Bowl game leaves Ohio State handicapped with a roster of 4 and 5 star recruits/future NFL starters to trot out down in the Metroplex for the (14)88th Goodyear Cotton-Eyed Joe Bowl Classic against MIzzou. Tigers only losing 6 players in the xfer portal and does anyone draft a MIssouri player before the 5th round? Nonetheless, the result is Missouri--who would be, what, a TD+ dog in a regular season match-up vs Ohio State with full rosters on each side?--favorites:

That's nuts about OSU, though Mizzou looked pretty damn good in November. But still, all those players in the portal...insane.

Edit: What if they gave LGBTQ+ players an extra year of eligibility to redress past discrimination, and Michael Sam came back to lead Mizzou to victory? He'd be an SEC folk hero.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:58 pm 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

One Post wrote:

The justification for Oregon to be in a playoff to potentially beat Washington is that they have only lost to Washington twice this year so they should be in a tournament to have another shot to beat Washington to show that they are better than that Washington team that they already lost to twice?

And somehow the regular season is more valuable in a 12 team playoff because Washington can get a bye for a game in which they will potentially have to face an Oregon team that they already beat twice in this somehow now more valuable regular season?

Yeah, I'm starting to see the logic now, maybe the regular season will be more valuable under a 12 team playoff. If that's the case let's just expand it to 32 teams, then we can have a super valuable important regular season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:48 am 

One Post wrote:
The justification for Oregon to be in a playoff to potentially beat Washington is that they have only lost to Washington twice this year so they should be in a tournament to have another shot to beat Washington to show that they are better than that Washington team that they already lost to twice?
I don't know why you don't get the concept that Oregon may be a national champion contender since they only lost to Washington by a total of 6 points. It's possible that Oregon is simply a bad matchup for them. Alabama and Texas are both playing in the playoff with one less this year. Oregon has two losses to one team. Do you think Alabama and Texas could win the national title?

One Post wrote:
And somehow the regular season is more valuable in a 12 team playoff because Washington can get a bye for a game in which they will potentially have to face an Oregon team that they already beat twice in this somehow now more valuable regular season?
I never said the regular season was more valuable. It's just not really lessened by that much.

One Post wrote:
Yeah, I'm starting to see the logic now, maybe the regular season will be more valuable under a 12 team playoff. If that's the case let's just expand it to 32 teams, then we can have a super valuable important regular season.
You seemingly are frustrated at how your argument was blown up by FSU so you've completely changed the argument.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:19 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
I don't know why you don't get the concept that Oregon may be a national champion contender since they only lost to Washington by a total of 6 points. It's possible that Oregon is simply a bad matchup for them. Alabama and Texas are both playing in the playoff with one less this year. Oregon has two losses to one team. Do you think Alabama and Texas could win the national title?

One Post wrote:
I never said the regular season was more valuable. It's just not really lessened by that much.

One Post wrote:
You seemingly are frustrated at how your argument was blown up by FSU so you've completely changed the argument.

You seem to think FSU didn’t make the 4 teaser this because of some fundamental law of nature necessitating expanded playoffs. Using the last 100 years of CF history and conventions as a guide FSU would have been the #3 team in the playoffs. The reason they didn’t make the playoffs is because of TV money. That same TV money is why we have a Wild West transfer portal, expanded playoffs, conference realignment, etc.

Some people on here and in the media are saying, hey this kinda is ruining what the product has been for the last 100 or so years. Other people like you are clapping like trained seals.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: What??
One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

One Post wrote:

One Post wrote:

You seem to think FSU didn’t make the 4 teaser this because of some fundamental law of nature necessitating expanded playoffs. Using the last 100 years of CF history and conventions as a guide FSU would have been the #3 team in the playoffs. The reason they didn’t make the playoffs is because of TV money. That same TV money is why we have a Wild West transfer portal, expanded playoffs, conference realignment, etc.

Some people on here and in the media are saying, hey this kinda is ruining what the product has been for the last 100 or so years. Other people like you are clapping like trained seals.

Pretty solid post, pretty solid argument.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:17 pm 

FSU to the Big Ten? Some of you guys mentioned this. They meet on January 31st, reportedly could do it then.

If Clemson joins the Big 10, I wonder if ND would (non-football only).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:11 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
FSU to the Big Ten? Some of you guys mentioned this. They meet on January 31st, reportedly could do it then.

If Clemson joins the Big 10, I wonder if ND would (non-football only).
It's believed that Clemson is off to the SEC in these scenarios. The battle will be over North Carolina.

ND can't join the Big Ten or SEC without football. Never going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
Ohio State's mouthbreathing fanbase is enough, now we have to entertain marblemouths from Florida and South Caroliner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:32 pm 

McCareins_Fan wrote:
Ohio State's mouthbreathing fanbase

Indeed. They're the worst opposing fans I have seen. I remember them making fun of handicapped kids--on two different campuses (U of I and NU).

Bad drunks, too. Not the fun kind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
McCareins_Fan wrote:
Ohio State's mouthbreathing fanbase

Indeed. They're the worst opposing fans I have seen. I remember them making fun of handicapped kids--on two different campuses (U of I and NU).

Bad drunks, too. Not the fun kind.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:07 am 

Sucks for Brick that he wasted all that energy telling us how great that 12 team playoff is and enhances the regular season because of fighting to win byes or some nonsense.

Now the administrators the Brick claps like a trained seal for have moved the goalposts a bit. I'm sure he'll race in here and tell us how this is somehow great for college athletics and even better for the fans!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
One Post wrote:
Sucks for Brick that he wasted all that energy telling us how great that 12 team playoff is and enhances the regular season because of fighting to win byes or some nonsense.

Now the administrators the Brick claps like a trained seal for have moved the goalposts a bit. I'm sure he'll race in here and tell us how this is somehow great for college athletics and even better for the fans!

What happened?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
One Post wrote:

What happened?

14 teams?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:37 am 

One Post wrote:

What happened?

The general consensus is that in two years football will move to a 14 team playoff, with a bunch of guaranteed spots and guaranteed byes for Big 10 and SEC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:43 am 

One Post wrote:
One Post wrote:

What happened?

The general consensus is that in two years football will move to a 14 team playoff, with a bunch of guaranteed spots and guaranteed byes for Big 10 and SEC.

Basically the next step to where the Big 10 and SEC each have 30 teams, and they become NFL lite. The remaining "Power 5", P4, P3, whatever, become FCS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:49 am 

casual fan wrote:
One Post wrote:
One Post wrote:

What happened?

Basically the next step to where the Big 10 and SEC each have 30 teams, and they become NFL lite. The remaining "Power 5", P4, P3, whatever, become FCS

Unfortunately given the trajectory you're looking at something like beefed up Big Ten and SEC, maybe 24 teams each. They'll stage a full 16 team NFL style playoffs with only the Big 10 and SEC thereby removing themselves from the NCAA. You're also on the precipice of either (a) expanding the basketball tournament to 80 some teams or (b) not having the future Big 10/SEC participate in the NCAA tournament and perhaps staging their own every team in the bracket tournament.

All of the above seem like exciting options for fans and stakeholders of college athletics. I have no idea why they didn't do any of this much sooner!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:17 am 

One Post wrote:

Stop making disingenuous arguments. There is virtually no difference between a 12 team tournament and a 14 team tournament. Two more teams get to host a home playoff game rather than a bye week.

I'd rather talk about your laughable idea that the college basketball regular season doesn't matter because a top 5 matchup was shown only on Peacock and then a few weeks later the NFL showed a playoff game only on Peacock. You were pretty quiet about that one. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

Stop making disingenuous arguments. There is virtually no difference between a 12 team tournament and a 14 team tournament. Two more teams get to host a home playoff game rather than a bye week.

I'd rather talk about your laughable idea that the college basketball regular season doesn't matter because a top 5 matchup was shown only on Peacock and then a few weeks later the NFL showed a playoff game only on Peacock. You were pretty quiet about that one. :lol:

About 50MM Americans give or take 10MM vocally bitched about the NFL game being on peacock and many people probably subscribed solely to watch that game. Nobody gives a shit if regular season college basketball games are broadcast regardless of TV or streaming.

College basketball regular season doesn’t matter not because of Peacock or not, but because they have ceeded all relevance to the best postseason of sports. Which now they are in the process of actively trying to devalue….

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:02 pm 

One Post wrote:
About 50MM Americans give or take 10MM vocally bitched about the NFL game being on peacock and many people probably subscribed solely to watch that game. Nobody gives a shit if regular season college basketball games are broadcast regardless of TV or streaming.
What does that even mean? I can provide your exact quote on what it meant that a sporting event was being shown on a streaming only service. Not only did you not realize that Amazon has been doing that every Thursday but you also didn't realize that the NFL was showing a playoff game.

Then again, you think there is a a major difference between a 12 team and a 14 team playoff so you are full of terrible takes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:07 pm 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
What does that even mean? I can provide your exact quote on what it meant that a sporting event was being shown on a streaming only service. Not only did you not realize that Amazon has been doing that every Thursday but you also didn't realize that the NFL was showing a playoff game.

Then again, you think there is a a major difference between a 12 team and a 14 team playoff so you are full of terrible takes.

You don't think there is any major difference between a 4 team playoff and a 12 team playoff so of course you don't understand how increasing the pool by another 15% is not a big deal. The playoff will essentially expand from 4 to 14 in the span of 4 years.

Like I'm sure a guy like you would love a 15% increase in NCAA basketball tournament bids. That's another dozen teams that couldn't finish above .500 in their conference, sure let 'em in according to ole Brick.

This board can't agree on anything, not in any section. The only thread I've seen in the past 12 months where everyone is unified is that expanding the playoffs is mostly unnecessary and really devalues the regular season. You're the only guy on here clapping like a dope while the commissioners of the Big 10 and SEC continue enrich themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:19 pm 

One Post wrote:
You don't think there is any major difference between a 4 team playoff and a 12 team playoff so of course you don't understand how increasing the pool by another 15% is not a big deal. The playoff will essentially expand from 4 to 14 in the span of 4 years.
Citation needed. The change between a 4 team playoff and a 12 team is quite large. It just doesn't destroy the regular season. Let me make it clear to you.

Teams in the top 20 will be fighting for:
A first round bye(2)
A first round home game(6)
A spot in the playoffs(6)
On the last weekend of the year, virtually every team with a chance at the playoffs will have significant stakes on the line. Of course there is a chance that there will be only one undefeated team and they can lose and still get a first round bye but that would already have been the case in a 4 team playoff since they'd fall from #1 to #2 in such a scenario and that would have made it no matter what.
One Post wrote:
This board can't agree on anything, not in any section. The only thread I've seen in the past 12 months where everyone is unified is that expanding the playoffs is mostly unnecessary and really devalues the regular season. You're the only guy on here clapping like a dope while the commissioners of the Big 10 and SEC continue enrich themselves.
The 12 team playoff is going to be a major success. You are going to look foolish in a year when you would rather have had the Outback Bowl instead of the weekend with 4 playoff games at home stadiums and then the next round with 4 interesting quarterfinal matchups.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:24 pm 

A 12 team playoff has hundreds more meaningful games than a 4 team playoff does. Just look at last season. Turns out, FSU played ZERO meaningful games, going 13-0 in the ACC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:25 pm 

casual fan wrote:
A 12 team playoff has hundreds more meaningful games than a 4 team playoff does. Just look at last season. Turns out, FSU played ZERO meaningful games, going 13-0 in the ACC.

Yup. The FSU issue should have ended any discussion on whether the 4 team playoff was optimal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:32 pm 

casual fan wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:35 pm 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Citation needed. The change between a 4 team playoff and a 12 team is quite large. It just doesn't destroy the regular season. Let me make it clear to you.

Teams in the top 20 will be fighting for:
A first round bye(2)
A first round home game(6)
A spot in the playoffs(6)
On the last weekend of the year, virtually every team with a chance at the playoffs will have significant stakes on the line. Of course there is a chance that there will be only one undefeated team and they can lose and still get a first round bye but that would already have been the case in a 4 team playoff since they'd fall from #1 to #2 in such a scenario and that would have made it no matter what.
One Post wrote:
The 12 team playoff is going to be a major success. You are going to look foolish in a year when you would rather have had the Outback Bowl instead of the weekend with 4 playoff games at home stadiums and then the next round with 4 interesting quarterfinal matchups.

Nobody is saying the playoff won't be a financial success, it will be. What people are saying is that it will devalue the regular season, and considerably so. More playoff teams = less valuable regular season, that's just how it is. Like let's just let ever team into an NCAA football playoff, you'll create hundreds of relevant playoff games, also you'll have zero relevant regular season games, but that's the see saw.

Anyway, let's table this discussion for a while. I'd like to participate in this forum as a college basketball fan. College basketball's 18 days of relevance starts in a week, let's just all focus on that because it doesn't last very long.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:17 pm 

One Post wrote:
Nobody is saying the playoff won't be a financial success, it will be. What people are saying is that it will devalue the regular season, and considerably so. More playoff teams = less valuable regular season, that's just how it is. Like let's just let ever team into an NCAA football playoff, you'll create hundreds of relevant playoff games, also you'll have zero relevant regular season games, but that's the see saw.
I can promise you that there are going to be more playoff relevant regular season games this next year than there were last year. Look at Notre Dame last year. They were all but eliminated on October 7th. They were officially eliminated on November 4th. They finished 14th in the AP poll. Every game they played would have had playoff implications up until the last week of the year though they would likely have just missed the playoffs.

One Post wrote:
Anyway, let's table this discussion for a while. I'd like to participate in this forum as a college basketball fan. College basketball's 18 days of relevance starts in a week, let's just all focus on that because it doesn't last very long.
It's been a pretty amazing season so I'm sure you'll enjoy the conference tournaments you seemingly are pumped up for. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8