It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Saban gone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:37 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
People will now see that no program is on automatic. Saban's ability as a coach was a big reason that program was so good. Take a look at the last three coaches before him: Mike Shula, Dennis Franchione and Mike Dubose. There was some mediocre football at Alabama for a decade and there was far less parity back then.

No person they hire will have the immediate gravitas of Saban, so what's the reason to go to alabama over georgia, ohio state, etc.?

and the MIGHTY SEC is a far different conference if Alabama isn't the bell cow with another team in the top 5 giving competition. Say they hire someone like Kiffen. I think he'd bring competent football but not championship football and Ole Miss would go into the shitter. Sure, Georgia now becomes THE program. What's behind them? They are lucky to have brought in Texas and Oklahoma next year.

Completely agree.

I think they only way they avoid a drop off is if they somehow convince Smart to leave Georgia

That stat about more first round picks than losses is INSANE

Alabama can at least coast on inertia and still be really good for another three to four years. After that, all bets are off.

SEC dominance is a more interesting question. It wasn't that long ago the non-SEC teams were the dominant teams in the country. However, the SEC is so huge now, I think they're pretty well guaranteed a top four team (to the extent that even matters anymore) for the foreseeable future.

That may have been true before the portal. One bad year and people will be bolting.

I think defense defined Alabama and that was lead by Saban. It wasn't just talent. I see Saban as a guy who could beat yours with his one day then beat his with yours the next week. I think he is irreplaceable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
People will now see that no program is on automatic. Saban's ability as a coach was a big reason that program was so good. Take a look at the last three coaches before him: Mike Shula, Dennis Franchione and Mike Dubose. There was some mediocre football at Alabama for a decade and there was far less parity back then.

No person they hire will have the immediate gravitas of Saban, so what's the reason to go to alabama over georgia, ohio state, etc.?

and the MIGHTY SEC is a far different conference if Alabama isn't the bell cow with another team in the top 5 giving competition. Say they hire someone like Kiffen. I think he'd bring competent football but not championship football and Ole Miss would go into the shitter. Sure, Georgia now becomes THE program. What's behind them? They are lucky to have brought in Texas and Oklahoma next year.

Completely agree.

I think they only way they avoid a drop off is if they somehow convince Smart to leave Georgia

That stat about more first round picks than losses is INSANE

Alabama can at least coast on inertia and still be really good for another three to four years. After that, all bets are off.

SEC dominance is a more interesting question. It wasn't that long ago the non-SEC teams were the dominant teams in the country. However, the SEC is so huge now, I think they're pretty well guaranteed a top four team (to the extent that even matters anymore) for the foreseeable future.

That may have been true before the portal. One bad year and people will be bolting.

I think defense defined Alabama and that was lead by Saban. It wasn't just talent. I see Saban as a guy who could beat yours with his one day then beat his with yours the next week. I think he is irreplaceable.

In order for the portal to suck guys away, there has to be a more attractive place to go. I'm not sure there will be a more attractive place to go (all the top flight programs already have guys similar to the Alabama guys) for at least a couple years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:34 pm 

Who would have ever dreamed that an assistant at Indiana would end up as head coach of Alabama?

Crazy times

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Good time to bug out of Washington, losing a lot of offense to the draft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
After he coaches his first 10 games at a school, Kalen Deboer is 80-3

Has coached 9 seasons, won 11 games+ in 7