It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
T-Bone wrote:
I shouldn't even utter this but what the hell..... This matchup got me thinking about what happened in 1987 with the Illini. They had a 3 seed and slipped on a banana peel in round one against Austin Peay. Broke a young T-Bone's heart that spring.

That was egregious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
I shouldn't even utter this but what the hell..... This matchup got me thinking about what happened in 1987 with the Illini. They had a 3 seed and slipped on a banana peel in round one against Austin Peay. Broke a young T-Bone's heart that spring.

My guy Bob Thomas, fellow caddy at Evanston G.C. was a backup center on that AP team.

JORR, I didn't know you caddied. Props.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

My guy Bob Thomas, fellow caddy at Evanston G.C. was a backup center on that AP team.

3x winner of Best Ballwasher award.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Is JORR Jewish? I thought that the Evanston CC only employed Jewish caddies whereas Bryn Mawr relied exclusively on goys for its caddies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Is JORR Jewish? I thought that the Evanston CC only employed Jewish caddies whereas Bryn Mawr relied exclusively on goys for its caddies.

Neither Bobby Thomas nor I are Jewish.

You have it basically correct though. Evanston was a Catholic club with a lot of Jewish caddies. Bryn Mawr was a Jewish club with a lot of Catholic caddies. I think a young dolphin may have worked Bryn Mawr.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Also, in Austin Peay's next game in that tournament they faced Providence and Bobby missed that free throw. Changed basketball history.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/blogs/ ... ork-knicks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

You have it basically correct though. Evanston was a Catholic club with a lot of Jewish caddies. Bryn Mawr was a Jewish club with a lot of Catholic caddies. I think a young dolphin may have worked Bryn Mawr.

I began working there in the summer after 7th grade and continued at least 4 years.

I despised that place. They had a no tip policy for caddies instituted because the cheap mfers would get the bad caddies and the big tippers would get a good draw. Imagine being a millionaire going to a club that cost six figures to join and feeling comfortable not giving a tip to someone who performed physical labor for you for 4-5 hours. I'd be embarrassed to be that person. You could only imagine the pernicious myths it created among the caddies.

The biological females were the worst of the group

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:09 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I began working there in the summer after 7th grade and continued at least 4 years.

I despised that place. They had a no tip policy for caddies instituted because the cheap mfers would get the bad caddies and the big tippers would get a good draw. Imagine being a millionaire going to a club that cost six figures to join and feeling comfortable not giving a tip to someone who performed physical labor for you for 4-5 hours. I'd be embarrassed to be that person. You could only imagine the pernicious myths it created among the caddies.

If I remember correctly, biological females were only allowed to play Evanston on Thursdays during the time I was there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
T-Bone wrote:

That was egregious.

:lol: :lol: Sorry about that Tommy. Felt like I was exorcising a demon when I typed it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:35 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I caddied at The Merit Club for a couple of seasons around 1999-2001 timeframe. They had a similar tipping policy, which was not always kept depending on whose bag you were hauling. I had a couple of regulars who would tip if they won money that round, but nothing was worse than double bagging on a hot day and getting stuck with your standard $35-40 a bag fee. Don't get me wrong making $80 cash seemed like a pretty big haul back then for 5-6 hours work but it was sure nicer when you got an extra $25-40 slipped in there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 am 

T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I caddied at The Merit Club for a couple of seasons around 1999-2001 timeframe. They had a similar tipping policy, which was not always kept depending on whose bag you were hauling. I had a couple of regulars who would tip if they won money that round, but nothing was worse than double bagging on a hot day and getting stuck with your standard $35-40 a bag fee. Don't get me wrong making $80 cash seemed like a pretty big haul back then for 5-6 hours work but it was sure nicer when you got an extra $25-40 slipped in there.

when you add in the hours spent waiting to get your foursome, caddying was a pretty bad deal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Did you guys get the caddy scholarships I have heard about when I was young?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I thought that all of us poor catholic kids caddied at one point or another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:33 am 

T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

That was egregious.

:lol: :lol: Sorry about that Tommy. Felt like I was exorcising a demon when I typed it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Henson always had detractors, but that buried him in the eyes of many.

Still had better hair than Gene Keady.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:36 am 

T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't know how you guys double-bagged....I double-bagged about ten times total in ten years--when it was rainy and there weren't any loopers...it was actually easier in a few ways, but much more difficult in most ways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 am 

Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Illinois loses first.

Purdue seems set up to get to at least the elite 8, maybe the final 4.

And that's just what will make it all the more glorious when they somehow fail to do so.

Why would it be glorious?

I'll never understand the hate that Purdue gets when they haven't been to a F4 since 1980 and have had more heartbreaking March losses than most teams have NCAA appearances.

I mean yeah, it's probably going to happen again like it has for 40 years. Enjoy it!

Purdue ended the 2022-2023 regular season as the best team in college basketball, wasn't that super enjoyable for you?

Like who cares if they shit the bed again this year in the tournament, they dominated the regular season. Who cares about March losses when you are piling up November and December wins. That's what's important.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:57 am 

One Post wrote:
Purdue ended the 2022-2023 regular season as the best team in college basketball, wasn't that super enjoyable for you?

Like who cares if they shit the bed again this year in the tournament, they dominated the regular season. Who cares about March losses when you are piling up November and December wins. That's what's important.

I loved the 2022-2023 Purdue season. One of my favorite ones of all time. I am not saying that sarcastically either. They lost a NBA lottery pick and ended up going from unranked to #1 in the country and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament when they were projected as a possible bubble team.

The ending was one of the most heartbreaking losses ever though not nearly as bad as the Elite Eight loss where the game was virtually over until Virginia pulled off one of the most miraculous things I've ever seen at the end of a game.

But I'll play along with another bad faith argument of yours.

Would it be better this year if the NCAA tournament was this:
UCONN vs. North Carolina.
Purdue vs. Houston.

The winner of those two games play for the national title.

Don't get me wrong. I'm fully on board for that. Are you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:38 am 

One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Illinois loses first.

Purdue seems set up to get to at least the elite 8, maybe the final 4.

And that's just what will make it all the more glorious when they somehow fail to do so.

Why would it be glorious?

I'll never understand the hate that Purdue gets when they haven't been to a F4 since 1980 and have had more heartbreaking March losses than most teams have NCAA appearances.

I mean yeah, it's probably going to happen again like it has for 40 years. Enjoy it!

It's been said often,
both yestreen and anon,
but there's no joy that One Post
cannot trample upon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't know how you guys double-bagged....I double-bagged about ten times total in ten years--when it was rainy and there weren't any loopers...it was actually easier in a few ways, but much more difficult in most ways.

I weighed about 95 lbs. at the time I caddied. No way I could carry doubles. And some of these assholes had trunks that were taller than I was. I was quite embarrassed when the first girl caddy at Evanston G.C., Becky Nevus, could carry doubles and I couldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:13 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I knew the caddy master so typically got some of the better loops but was only out there on weekends or holidays, not a regular by any means. I was doing this after graduating college and was working full time. I was there for beer money and the hope I would get Jordan's bag one day. I did double bag on a few occasions where it was awful as one person would go left and the other right all day long. We would try to get ahead of the group and forecaddy when possible but even then you could get screwed if your player duffed one off the tee and then you would have to run back up to them with a different club even though you were out 200 yards waiting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I kinda recall this discussion several years ago but I too caddied, at Westmoreland Country Club in Skokie, I believe in spring 1974. I didn't last long as I got hit by a car (yes, while riding my bicycle) and broke my collarbone which knocked me out for the summer.

I do recall enjoying it. Not everyone tipped but those that did were pretty generous. I knew nothing about golf but that didn't seem to matter. I was big so they had no trouble giving me two bags. And yes some of them were enormous. I don't know how I even got them off the ground let alone was able to drag them around for 18 holes :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I knew the caddy master so typically got some of the better loops but was only out there on weekends or holidays, not a regular by any means. I was doing this after graduating college and was working full time. I was there for beer money and the hope I would get Jordan's bag one day. I did double bag on a few occasions where it was awful as one person would go left and the other right all day long. We would try to get ahead of the group and forecaddy when possible but even then you could get screwed if your player duffed one off the tee and then you would have to run back up to them with a different club even though you were out 200 yards waiting.

Forecaddying was the absolute worst. Particularly when the foursome for whom you were caddying had gas powered golf carts. It was like John Henry versus the steam engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:03 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I’m worried for Purdue fans.

It feels like their only hope is a continuation of Tall Midget’s streak of poorly-formulated analyses of any combination of facts and/or circumstances in any academic, athletic, or human discipline the stories of which will live on from SongSayer to SongSayer singing the history of TM’s ineptitude through the sunny winters on the hills and streams of post-Apocalyptic Siberia.

Go Purdue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

It feels like their only hope is a continuation of Tall Midget’s streak of poorly-formulated analyses of any combination of facts and/or circumstances in any academic, athletic, or human discipline the stories of which will live on from SongSayer to SongSayer singing the history of TM’s ineptitude through the sunny winters on the hills and streams of post-Apocalyptic Siberia.

Go Purdue.

Your unwarranted hostility continues to mystify and disappoint me. I am merely the messenger communicating the reality of the Illini basketball program, you rough-hewn rube, just as the tears streaming down your alcohol-bloated chipmunk cheeks later this weekend will only be the latest symptom of Illini phlegmatism, floundering, and failure. I am extending a hand of friendship to wrest you from the grip of your self-destructive Illini reverie, but all you do is retreat ever further into the realm of delusion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Go Purdue.

Your unwarranted hostility continues to mystify and disappoint me. I am merely the messenger communicating the reality of the Illini basketball program, you rough-hewn rube, just as the tears streaming down your alcohol-bloated chipmunk cheeks later this weekend will only be the latest symptom of Illini phlegmatism, floundering, and failure. I am extending a hand of friendship to wrest you from the grip of your self-destructive Illini reverie, but all you do is retreat ever further into the realm of delusion.

This beef is a lot more interesting than Dr. Style vs. JLN debating the meaning of "from the river to the sea." I'm here for it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:50 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:11 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Forecaddying was the absolute worst. Particularly when the foursome for whom you were caddying had gas powered golf carts. It was like John Henry versus the steam engine.

It's a hell of a grind chasing. Walking with a single bag is almost literally a walk in the park.

Where did you caddie?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Warren Newson wrote:

It's a hell of a grind chasing. Walking with a single bag is almost literally a walk in the park.

Where did you caddie?

Crystal Tree Country Club in Orland Park. That experience, and my own lack of hand-eye coordination, turned me so against golf that I've had nothing to do with it ever since.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:20 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Where did you caddie?

Crystal Tree Country Club in Orland Park. That experience, and my own lack of hand-eye coordination, turned me so against golf that I've had nothing to do with it ever since.

Holy sh*t. I didn't know you were from our this-a-way, though it makes sense. That's a hilly course, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next