It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Which one of these perennial laughingstocks will bow out of the NCAA tournament first: Illinois or Purdue?

It looks to me like Illinois won't make it past BYU in the second round. Purdue has an easier bracket, but we all know they're going to blow this somehow.

Dr. Ken and Boilermaker Rick will continue to endure their lives of misery for another year at least. But who will be more miserable?

What say you, CFMB? Where do each of these disappointments renew their tradition of embarrassment and ignominious defeat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 am 

Illinois loses first.

Purdue seems set up to get to at least the elite 8, maybe the final 4.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Illinois is good up until Iowa State I predict. As soon as they run into a team that plays defense they will be in trouble, and Iowa State looks like that team to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:58 am 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Illinois loses first.

And that's just what will make it all the more glorious when they somehow fail to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:01 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Illinois loses first.

And that's just what will make it all the more glorious when they somehow fail to do so.

Why would it be glorious?

I'll never understand the hate that Purdue gets when they haven't been to a F4 since 1980 and have had more heartbreaking March losses than most teams have NCAA appearances.

I mean yeah, it's probably going to happen again like it has for 40 years. Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 am 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Illinois loses first.

I'll never understand the hate that Purdue gets when they haven't been to a F4 since 1980 and have had more heartbreaking March losses than most teams have NCAA appearances.

I mean yeah, it's probably going to happen again like it has for 40 years. Enjoy it!

Come on Rick, this tournament is set up for Purdue to coast all the way to the Final Four! Believe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 am 

No one enjoys Purdue losing more than me. But it is hard to be too excited considering the dumpster fire that is Indiana basketball right now.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hoping its Illinois. But Illinois has a knack for turning it on in the second half.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
RFDC wrote:
No one enjoys Purdue losing more than me. But it is hard to be too excited considering the dumpster fire that is Indiana basketball right now.

That's the worst thing about the NCAAs. If your team is not doing well--and your hated rival is--it kind of kills the experience. It's like, how long do I have to wait?

Personally, I suggest just enjoying Michigan's 8-24 output and watching to see if the Big XII is really that good. A few years ago, the Big 10 had 8 of the top 11 teams (or something like that), and they flamed out. Honestly, I'm not getting that feeling from the Big XII, though. Such good defense in the league. I have Iowa State winning it all.

I realize Kansas is hurt, but it has been enjoyable (which I pronounce en-yoy-ah-blay) watching them fall off a bit (I am not sure how they "earned" a # 4 seed).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am 

Trying to be as objective as possible, I do not see this being a good year for the Big 10 in the tournament. I think the style of play for most of the teams is a lot different than the rest of the really good schools/conferences. And it seems the talent level is pretty far down across the board in the Big 10. Is there a player in the conference that is for sure a NBA player? Some are high on Ware from Indiana, but I think his game has a lot of holes.

But what the hell do I know, probably means there will be a final four with multiple big ten teams

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 am 

Shannon, Ware, and Edey are for sure going to be drafted this year. That's assuming that none of them are in jail by the draft though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 am 

RFDC wrote:
Trying to be as objective as possible, I do not see this being a good year for the Big 10 in the tournament. I think the style of play for most of the teams is a lot different than the rest of the really good schools/conferences. And it seems the talent level is pretty far down across the board in the Big 10. Is there a player in the conference that is for sure a NBA player? Some are high on Ware from Indiana, but I think his game has a lot of holes.

But what the hell do I know, probably means there will be a final four with multiple big ten teams

Purdue did well against other good teams nationally. The rest of the Big Ten? Not as much. Illinois, if they shoot well and get some good coaching, could be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 am 

Brick wrote:
Shannon, Ware, and Edey are for sure going to be drafted this year. That's assuming that none of them are in jail by the draft though.

Shannon and Ware look to be middle to lower first round guys. But I dont think either is just a for sure NBA player. If things fall right and they go to the right place and such maybe they are a consistent NBA player.

Edey maybe a 2nd round pick, but he will be in Europe or some place like that sooner than later.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 am 

Brick wrote:

TSJ only (allegedly) used his hand. In most parts of Kansas, that's considered gentlemanly behavior, regardless of whether it was invited or not. Plus, she shoulda stood there and enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 am 

Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Illinois loses first.

1980!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
purdue doesnt have good enough ball handlers to handle end of game situations. they struggle quite a bit getting the ball inbounds and getting it past half court. i think it will be their downfall.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:

Shannon and Ware look to be middle to lower first round guys. But I dont think either is just a for sure NBA player. If things fall right and they go to the right place and such maybe they are a consistent NBA player.

Edey maybe a 2nd round pick, but he will be in Europe or some place like that sooner than later.

20+ years ago edey is the top pick right? incredibly skilled big man who absolutely dominated this year. he doesnt fit in today's NBA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
billypootons wrote:
purdue doesnt have good enough ball handlers to handle end of game situations. they struggle quite a bit getting the ball inbounds and getting it past half court. i think it will be their downfall.

This is exactly the problem Illinois could face if they go up against full court pressure. Domask is your best ball handler who gets regular playing time and he doesn't have the best handles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
billypootons wrote:

This is exactly the problem Illinois could face if they go up against full court pressure. Domask is your best ball handler who gets regular playing time and he doesn't have the best handles.

Seems to be a little bit of a theme this year with not having a strong point guard. I think it was the downfall for my Hogs this year, didn’t have a General.

billypootons wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:

20+ years ago edey is the top pick right? incredibly skilled big man who absolutely dominated this year. he doesnt fit in today's NBA.

I would say at least top 5, but he is in the wrong time period.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

T-Bone wrote:
billypootons wrote:

T-Bone, I was just about to agree with Billy. This is both Purdue and Illinois. Illinois can barely get the ball in sometimes. Someone else (maybe T-Bone himself) said that the Illini really could use a point guard for situations like this. I guess we thought we had one, but Curbelo was a turnover machine.

Gonna have to play some D against BYU if both teams get that far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:13 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
billypootons wrote:

Seems to be a little bit of a theme this year with not having a strong point guard. I think it was the downfall for my Hogs this year, didn’t have a General.

Saw Musselmans name being thrown around for Louisville job maybe.

you think he is staying or going?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
As an Illinois graduate, I just assume that they will not make it out of the first weekend. They should beat Morehead State, however.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
billypootons wrote:

Saw Musselmans name being thrown around for Louisville job maybe.

you think he is staying or going?

I would be surprised, he literally has everything he wants there and has had success prior to this year but he didn’t have a good year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:30 pm 

billypootons wrote:

Last year that is true. Full court has been no problem this year.

Their biggest problem is turnovers in the half court.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:43 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
As an Illinois graduate, I just assume that they will not make it out of the first weekend. They should beat Morehead State, however.

Basically this.

We'll see if Underwood can prepare 'em....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I shouldn't even utter this but what the hell..... This matchup got me thinking about what happened in 1987 with the Illini. They had a 3 seed and slipped on a banana peel in round one against Austin Peay. Broke a young T-Bone's heart that spring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:14 pm 

As an Iowa State guy, I'm rooting hard for Illinois over BYU. I say that not even really knowing how ILL/ISU matchup against each other.

BYU is just a horrible matchup for ISU, because of how many different people they have that shoot 3's. ISU's worst loss of the season was at BYU, and they trailed by 14 early in the second half at home, before making a comeback for the win.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
In his grumpy Big Ten rules old man-ness, Michael Wilbon has Purdue beating Illinois in the Championship game.

Clearly, both teams are doomed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
T-Bone wrote:
I shouldn't even utter this but what the hell..... This matchup got me thinking about what happened in 1987 with the Illini. They had a 3 seed and slipped on a banana peel in round one against Austin Peay. Broke a young T-Bone's heart that spring.

My guy Bob Thomas, fellow caddy at Evanston G.C. was a backup center on that AP team.