It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1293 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 pm 

Seems beginning ND fandom in 86 was buying high

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 pm 

No. Kids dont give a shit about ND. The last time they were relevant kids weren't born yet.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:35 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
conns7901 wrote:
No. Kids dont give a shit about ND. The last time they were relevant kids weren't born yet.

Yeah, all the cool kids are into the cool schools, like USC, Thee Ohio St. and The U. That's where all the green is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Any day that ND loses is a good day.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 am 

i also have to admit i revel in their failures in football. lololol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 am 

It's not likely. Virtually every advantage they had is gone. Soon, Comcast will put the final nail in the coffin for the last advantage by moving games to Versus.

This has been slowly happening for a while, and that's why the only one who has been able to win a national title there recently is a guy who put 3 teams on probation for things that happened under his watch.

Notre Dame used to be a national power because of these things:
1) More money than anyone else. That's gone now. They'd make more money if they joined the Big Ten now.
2) More exposure than anyone else. They still have this but other schools are catching up. Ohio State and Florida can promise recruits as much exposure as Notre Dame.
3) Tradition of winning. That's not really there and it's been gone for long enough that recruits don't really remember them being dominant.

They'll always be good but I think it's becoming harder to sell someone on Notre Dame. South Bend sucks as a town. The campus life is lame. They aren't in a conference, which means that the only goal can be to win a national title. Ohio State can sell conference championships and BCS games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:52 am 

and their pompous, arrogant "independent schedule" looks more ridiculous now, too, i think. join a damn conference already.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:47 pm 

[quote="W_Z"]and their pompous, arrogant "independent schedule" looks more ridiculous now, too, i think.[//quote]
I say the same thing about Army, Navy, and BYU. The arrogance of them still having a schedule is appalling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Kelly looked like a total fool with his rage explosions. Save those for the practice field, you just make your team afraid to make a mistake when you lay into them. He looked like Todd Haley Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:55 pm 

Yeah no other college coaches ever light into guys on the sidelines. :roll:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Yeah no other college coaches look like fools on the sidelines :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Notre Dame was the team that got me into college football in the first place. So it pains me to see them dragged so low. It used to be all about the money in the NBC deal, but as of last year, the BTN contributed more to each Big Ten school than ND got with it's NBC deal.

Secondly, it was you could consistently see some of the best football played. But now there is no school that does less with more star talent than Notre Dame. They consistently have very highly ranked recruiting classes and have little to show for it at the end of the season.

Finally, ND has always suggested it has a commitment to high academic standards for it's players. However the academic exceptions that started under Weiss and continue under Kelly are making ND just like any other football factory. Anyone who has heard Cierre Wood speak knows what I mean.

And it certainly doesn't help when you obstruct justice with the Declan incident and try to sweep a rape that led to a suicide under the carpet. I know I'm not the first one to say this, but it's now Notre Shame.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:02 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Notre Dame was the team that got me into college football in the first place. So it pains me to see them dragged so low. It used to be all about the money in the NBC deal, but as of last year, the BTN contributed more to each Big Ten school than ND got with it's NBC deal.

Yeah no more huge advantage.

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Secondly, it was you could consistently see some of the best football played. But now there is no school that does less with more star talent than Notre Dame. They consistently have very highly ranked recruiting classes and have little to show for it at the end of the season.

Those rating systesm are extremely flawed. I dont think theyve had near the talent that those ratings would have you believe.

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Finally, ND has always suggested it has a commitment to high
academic standards for it's players. However the academic exceptions that started under Weiss and continue under Kelly are making ND just like any other football factory. Anyone who has heard Cierre Wood speak knows what I mean.

Thats been moot since Holtz. Chris Zorich got a fucking 560 on his SAT.

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
And it certainly doesn't help when you obstruct justice with the Declan incident and try to sweep a rape that led to a suicide under the carpet. I know I'm not the first one to say this, but it's now Notre Shame.

As awful as those two incidents were, I dont think its enough to undo all the tradition and good things that have happened with the school and its football team.

I think they just need that one real good season and the recruiting will snowball. Its gonna take a guy with a weird system or an underrated recruiting class or something, but if and when they do have that season....they can be rebuilt.

They'll never be a perennial natl title contender again, but no reason to believe they cant be as successful as the other major schools who go thru Good times and bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am 

I see 6 losses on ND's schedule this year. I love it. If ND was smart they would give Urban Meyer a blank check & tell him to fill in the amount.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
KDdidit wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Lou Holtz used to go batshit on the sidelines....He was hilarious....He WON a lot of games....so his antics were "good coaching"!!!!

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:51 am 

conns7901 wrote:

I have been going to games there for years.
They have been believing their own myths and bullshit for years regarding their football team, but reality is setting in. Allegedly they have made some "academic exceptions" for Kelly in recruiting.....the way College Athletics are today, I would think they need 50 "academic exceptions" to compete at the highest level.
It is a World Class University.....Football has not been their top priority since Frank Leahy, and even then, the Priests had the football program in the cross-hairs.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Head coach Brian Kelly's face looked like it was going to explode Saturday afternoon as Notre Dame's offense shot themselves in the foot with 5 turnovers along with plenty of dropped passes throughout the game vs. South Florida, before and after the rain/lightning delays.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:23 pm 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Lou Holtz used to go batshit on the sidelines....He was hilarious....He WON a lot of games....so his antics were "good coaching"!!!!

I agree. Kelly just lost to South Florida though, so it's bad coaching.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 am 

Brian Kelly has benched Dayne Crist already & will start Sophomore QB Tommy Rees from Lake Forest Saturday night against Michigan. If big blue wins this game, things will get ugly for Kelly.
Go Michigan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
If ND wants a fresh face,I hear the Illini Off. coach who has them running on all cylinders might be worth a look. either him or Ditka.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 am 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:

Finally, ND has always suggested it has a commitment to high academic standards for it's players. However the academic exceptions that started under Weiss and continue under Kelly are making ND just like any other football factory. Anyone who has heard Cierre Wood speak knows what I mean.

Notre Dame graduates the vast majority if its players.
Football factories have mostly been outsourced to the South.
Any obstruction of justice is with the sexual assault cases, not Declan Sullivan.
Notre Dame's genuine problem as an institution is this strange elitist air it projects...."WE ARE NOTRE DAME AND WE ARE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY IN ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE." That is the feeling I get, and it really isn't too Catholic.
All kinds of graduates from Notre Dame go on to do wonderful things improving society as a whole. Not everyone jets in for football games on their own plane.
Why the University sells and believes and encourages its own hype is beyond me.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 am 

Scorehead wrote:

You are a successful middle aged man.
Get over your rejection letter in the Spring of 1978.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 am 

Scorehead wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:30 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!

51 is going back down the mountain, Bob, and gaining speed - unless you plan to live to be 102.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:54 pm 

Alright, clearly National Power is out of the question.

How bout just a consistently good/very good program

Wisconsin
Oregon (recently)
Auburn

I mean win 9,10 games evey year. Make BCS bowls frequently. Maybe sneak into the BCS title game once a decade.

Fuck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
rogers park bryan wrote:
Alright, clearly National Power is out of the question.

How bout just a consistently good/very good program

Wisconsin
Oregon (recently)
Auburn

I mean win 9,10 games evey year. Make BCS bowls frequently. Maybe sneak into the BCS title game once a decade.

Fuck

I said it in another thread.....

They are just "another college football program" now. ND isn't saintly, kids don't give a shit or at least not as many, they haven't really been any good consistently in forever, they have academic "standards"...sure, they have NBC, but they suck so who cares. The Bob Davie era was the beginning of the end, Ty Willingham was blah, the fat asshole was worse and Brian Kelly will have a heart attack by seasons end or at least kill 5 more students, possibly with his bare hands.

Their draft classes are always over-rated and that's that. Can they be "good" again? Sure. But mega-power house or even consistent BCS entry is a long shot. Although they have a fan base so that usually will get them in, see 06-07 when they shouldn't have even been in consideration. Yeah I'm exaggerating but who cares. I've got Mike Tolbert on the brain and dog parks and pictures of spaulding chopping bad dogs heads off and their "parents" (WTF) heads off too and then taking them home and mounting them..................on the mantle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 pm 

ND will win another championship before anyone in the Big 10 does.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
RFDC wrote:

Neither is winning any BCS title in the next 10 years. The Big 10 will send Wisconsin or whoever the hell their but they will lose. ND, if they sniff it, will suffer the same fate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:08 pm 

RFDC wrote:

I wish I felt the same. I dont know. Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin maybe.

Id just like to see some improvement. Some stability. And if Kelly doesnt last well thats another few years til you get results.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I wish I felt the same. I dont know. Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin maybe.

Id just like to see some improvement. Some stability. And if Kelly doesnt last well thats another few years til you get results.

Don't mistake my statement as being overly optimistic about ND. I don't think they win one anytime soon, but as bad as things look for them in the next few years, things do not look much better for the majority of the Big 10.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1293 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next