It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:33 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
North Florida is a pretty strong traditional regional local power.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It's because with the weather they can play basketball year round there I think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:43 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Yeah, I'm done with Groce now too.

He's had a lot of bad luck for sure. But he just can't get guys in there to play.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
I have been watching Illini Basketball since Dickie Freeman...and you clowns think this asshat can recruit and coach?????? Talk to me in two years when this guy is bye bye :lol:

Got it. I'll talk to you again in 2 years.

Well your two years are up.....Groce will be an assistant at Mid Major

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:48 pm 

I have been watching Illini Basketball since Dickie Freeman...and you clowns think this asshat can recruit and coach?????? Talk to me in two years when this guy is bye bye :lol:

Can't argue. I thought he'd be better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's

Can't argue. I thought he'd be better.

What are the chances that the Illini will hire someone better as his replacement?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:

What are the chances that the Illini will hire someone better as his replacement?

Slim. I guess the could get lucky. They should never have fired Weber.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:31 am 

carpetbagger Leito will rejuvenate DePaul then walk to the Illini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:37 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Well, I think he may be available shortly if the Illini are interested. A second Weber tenure would be Noisewater's dream come true!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Wish they would bring Lon Kreuger back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Wish they would bring Lon Kreuger back.

I'm rooting for the return of Lou Henson!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

You don't really believe this do you, Joe? I'm not one of these delusional Illini fans who thinks the place is a basketball school that should always get top recruits but even I could see it was time for Weber to move on. The guy won 1 single NCAA tournament game with his own players. Now that Frank Martin's guys are gone from KSU he's shitting the bed in Manhattan. Not saying Groce was an upgrade but Weber had his chances.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Zizou wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

You don't really believe this do you, Joe? I'm not one of these delusional Illini fans who thinks the place is a basketball school that should always get top recruits but even I could see it was time for Weber to move on. The guy won 1 single NCAA tournament game with his own players. Now that Frank Martin's guys are gone from KSU he's shitting the bed in Manhattan. Not saying Groce was an upgrade but Weber had his chances.

I think the problem with Weber was that he was pressured to recruit guys that he didn't really want. Richmond is, of course, the poster boy for that. If he would have just been allowed to go after guys who fit his style and system, I think the Illini would have been fine with him. And Weber would have stayed forever and done as much as it's possible to do in Champaign- compete for the Big Ten title almost every year, win one once in awhile and make the final 16 quite a bit- sort of like what Fitz is doing with the football team in Evanston.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think the problem with Weber was that he was pressured to recruit guys that he didn't really want. Richmond is, of course, the poster boy for that. If he would have just been allowed to go after guys who fit his style and system, I think the Illini would have been fine with him. And Weber would have stayed forever and done as much as it's possible to do in Champaign- compete for the Big Ten title almost every year, win one once in awhile and make the final 16 quite a bit- sort of like what Fitz is doing with the football team in Evanston.
Illini fans have a weird obsession with "recruiting Chicago". Just because Illinois happened to be your dream school for Education doesn't mean that 5 star recruits feel the same way.

They'd be better off avoiding it and only targeting guys that really have a good connection to Illinois. Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up to get the leftovers after Coach K and Calipari decide who they want.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Illini fans have a weird obsession with "recruiting Chicago". Just because Illinois happened to be your dream school for Education doesn't mean that 5 star recruits feel the same way.

They'd be better off avoiding it and only targeting guys that really have a good connection to Illinois. Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up to get the leftovers after Coach K and Calipari decide who they want.

That's my point. I think Weber was definitely pressed by boosters to go after these players he didn't necessarily want.

And Groce really fucked up with Brunson, who looked like he was ready to sign before Groce ignored him to chase other goofs that were never coming.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's my point. I think Weber was definitely pressed by boosters to go after these players he didn't necessarily want.

And Groce really fucked up with Brunson, who looked like he was ready to sign before Groce ignored him to chase other goofs that were never coming.

I dunno, Joe, Weber wasn't doing all that well after Self's recruits left and before Richmond came. And his Kansas State team has regressed each year he's been there, too. I don't think Weber would've been the solution to the Illini's basketball problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They have been avoiding it in a manner of speaking. The last top Chicago area player to sign with Illinois was Dee Brown.

Chicago is important but they also have to recruit players from other states too. I agree with that.

The problem with Illinois has been in their coaching hires. They keep hiring mid major guys and hoping that they are going to be big time.

Cuonzo Martin should have been hired as the coach. No brainer move. He has signed 2-3 McDonald's guys in little over a yr at Cal. He is an Illinois guy that has had some success at both the mid major and Major college level.

The best players out of Chicago don't even consider Illinois anymore. They don't even visit the campus. I don't know how much they have targeted Chicago to be quite honest.

I do know that the Brunson signing hurt. They believed they had him. They got in on his recruitment late. He was identified as can't miss during his Sophomore yr. and they didn't get involved until late in his junior yr.

They received a verbal from the Snyder kid and he ended up signing with Louisville at the last minute. His verbal commitment caused the coaching staff to not recruit Brunson.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:39 am 
Site Admin

I do think the state school should be able to pull the top guys in the state, or at the very least be a serious consideration for most of them. And the way the game is set up today, I'm not gonna complain about losing a one-and-done guy to Calipari and his finishing school for the NBA, but Self shouldn't be able to come in here from Kansas and out-recruit Illinois with regularity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They have been avoiding it in a manner of speaking. The last top Chicago area player to sign with Illinois was Dee Brown.

Although not technically a "Chicago" recruit I would argue that Brandon Paul was a pretty good player for them, although he was never built to necessarily be
the main man on a team and didn't have a lot of help when he was there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:10 am 

T-Bone wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Although not technically a "Chicago" recruit I would argue that Brandon Paul was a pretty good player for them, although he was never built to necessarily be
the main man on a team and didn't have a lot of help when he was there.

He was a solid player but not the best in that particular class. His stock also dropped a little as he matriculated through high school. He was a good player though.

Illinois needs NBA caliber guys and they have not been able to get them. Maybe not necessarily one and dones though that is not bad if you can consistently get them. Four year guys are not bad but they have to be of NBA caliber. You are not going to win without that level of talent in your program.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 am 

long time guy wrote:
Are you sure about that? They had 2 in 2013, 4 in 2011, and the infamous 2010 class which had 3 guys from the suburbs.
long time guy wrote:
Cuonzo Martin should have been hired as the coach. No brainer move. He has signed 2-3 McDonald's guys in little over a yr at Cal. He is an Illinois guy that has had some success at both the mid major and Major college level.
That timing wouldn't have worked. He was only 1 year into his job at Tennessee.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I do think the state school should be able to pull the top guys in the state, or at the very least be a serious consideration for most of them. And the way the game is set up today, I'm not gonna complain about losing a one-and-done guy to Calipari and his finishing school for the NBA, but Self shouldn't be able to come in here from Kansas and out-recruit Illinois with regularity.

But a school like Kansas has greater visibility in the Chicago area than Illinois does. So why would you expect high school kids to prefer U of I over Kansas?

U of I has no clue how to market itself--and that's part of the school's leadership crisis that is undermining it at every level (strategic planning, fundraising, research, recruiting, branding, athletics, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:01 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Are you sure about that? They had 2 in 2013, 4 in 2011, and the infamous 2010 class which had 3 guys from the suburbs.
long time guy wrote:

This new regime has only signed guys that played at Simeon. They really are not recruiting Chicago actively. Emphasis on Chicago kids is not their problem. They can't sign blue chippers. It doesn't matter which state their from. They have 2 McDonald's All Americans in the 15 years. (Brown and Richmond). Jaylen Tate is not a Big Ten player.

They also have had two NBA players back out of Commitments in the past 10-12 years. The team they had last year only started one guy that was a top 50 player coming out of high school. You are not going to win without talent.

Parker, Davis, Okafor, Rose, did not even consider Illinois. You are not going to win if your best players are leaving every yr. Each of these guys was a No. 1 Player coming out of high school. The guys they sign from out of state haven't been good either. Deron Williams is the best player that they have signed from out of state in possibly 25 years. I cant think of another one that was even remotely good. I'm sure they have but I cant think of one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:07 am 

long time guy wrote:
This new regime has only signed guys that played at Simeon. They really are not recruiting Chicago actively. Emphasis on Chicago kids is not their problem. They can't sign blue chippers. It doesn't matter which state their from. They have 2 McDonald's All Americans in the 15 years. (Brown and Richmond). Jaylen Tate is not a Big Ten player.
I'm going to flat out say that you are wrong. They are recruiting Chicago. The numbers here do not lie. It's like 50% of their recent recruiting coming from Chicago or the suburbs.

The point is that they can't get the blue chips from Chicago. Most other Big Ten schools understand this and build their programs accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I'm going to flat out say that you are wrong. They are recruiting Chicago. The numbers here do not lie. It's like 50% of their recent recruiting coming from Chicago or the suburbs.

The point is that they can't get the blue chips from Chicago. Most other Big Ten schools understand this and build their programs accordingly.

I don't know what you consider the Suburbs to be. Aaron Jordan is from Plainfield. D.J. Williams is the only guy they signed this year from Chicago.

Whom did they sign last year from Chicago?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

They also have had two NBA players back out of Commitments in the past 10-12 years. The team they had last year only started one guy that was a top 50 player coming out of high school. You are not going to win without talent.

Parker, Davis, Okafor, Rose, did not even consider Illinois. You are not going to win if your best players are leaving every yr. Each of these guys was a No. 1 Player coming out of high school. The guys they sign from out of state haven't been good either. Deron Williams is the best player that they have signed from out of state in possibly 25 years. I cant think of another one that was even remotely good. I'm sure they have but I cant think of one.

Mike Davis was a good player out of Virginia but he was a bit of a surprise.

Cory Bradford was from Tennessee. The pickens are definitely slim.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 am 

2015: 1/4, 2/4 if you count Plainfield as a suburb
2014: 0/2
2013: 2/5
2012: 1/1
2011: 4/6
2010: 2/3

So, that is 10/21 or 11/21.

That is them not recruiting from Chicago?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Mike Davis was a good player out of Virginia but he was a bit of a surprise.

Cory Bradford was from Tennessee. The pickens are definitely slim.

I forgot those two. They were good players.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
2015: 1/4, 2/4 if you count Plainfield as a suburb
2014: 0/2
2013: 2/5
2012: 1/1
2011: 4/6
2010: 2/3

So, that is 10/21 or 11/21.

That is them not recruiting from Chicago?

The only four players that they currently have on their roster that were signed out of High School are

Nunn, Tate,
Abrams, and Williams. Some of the other guys were walk ons.

The classes that really screwed them were the Richmond classes and the Henry Classes. They didn't get much out of those classes.

For the record Groce has attempted to recruit out of state guys. They have placed more emphasis on that than they have Chicago. They only have one guy recruiting Chicago. His other assistants are from out of town. They handle out of state recruiting.

You can say I'm wrong but I'm familiar with their program.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The only way Illinois is big again is to get a coach that can convince three kids near the top of the talent ladder to come all together. Kids that want to be trailblazers and not venture far from home.

Last edited by pittmike on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next