It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:00 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
This guy has been squarely on the Reggie Theus bandwagon. I was skeptical at first but he has made some solid arguments.

But he nails Thomas here and rightly so -

Bill Liesse wrote:
What Mike Thomas did and didn’t do

When Mike and Jenny Thomas were transitioning to Champaign-Urbana from Cincinnati, Lou Henson put them up in his house.

When a vacancy developed in the basketball-coaching seat from which Henson amassed the most wins in University of Illinois history, Lou had an outside-the-box suggestion to Thomas as to who should fill it.

Thomas never interviewed that candidate.

What Thomas has done has been a hiring circus of historic proportions. The Bears’ “hiring” of Dave McGinnis will look smooth as an NHL sheet of ice by comparison.

So badly has Thomas crashed that the university called a 3 p.m. press conference Tuesday to announce John Groce as coach. Then had to call off said presser when the Board of Trustees made it apparent it knows a diversity scam when it sees one.

Whether Thomas should have hired Reggie Theus is a matter of rather lively debate. We can agree that in better times, Illinois would have no need to turn to Theus, who is developing a persona of “the perpetual candidate” as he continues to try unsuccessfully to return to a college game in which he coached five years (2002-07), the first three under Rick Pitino at Louisville and the latter two as head man at New Mexico State.

Mike Thomas

How Thomas can look Henson in the eyes upon returning the keys and say that nothing could have come of a Theus interview? Well, that will be his problem. If he tries to con Henson by talking about the token moves that were made — a short phone interview between Theus and Thomas’ assistant; a phone call to ask former employers about Theus (in which the reviews were glowing) after Thomas had reached out and essentially decided on John Groce — you can rest assured Henson won’t be fooled.

Also not fooled by those shady, cover-your-tracks maneuvers will be the BOT, as mentioned, as well as the greater Chicago amateur basketball scene. Overcharacterized as (take your pick) crooks, boycotters, a single voice, bad coaches, etc., these mostly African-American coaches and AAU personnel know a diversity sham when they see one.

The reality is Thomas made a run at one coach of mixed race, Shaka Smart, apparently leaked that reality for what many consider to be trustees-appeasement reasons, then concentrated on a string of white guys.

News reports provide a list of other African-American candidates as if to indicate Thomas worked tirelessly to remove Illinois from its embarrassing role as the rare BCS-conference school with zero coaches of color in its revenue-sports history. They mention Lorenzo Romar, who has been known to not be moving from Washington this late in his career. They did the same with Leonard Hamilton of Florida State, who is even older.

They even were clueless enough to mention Anthony Grant. Grant’s associate head coach at Alabama is Dan Hipsher, who was fired at Akron by one Mike Thomas in a move of maximum bitterness. It’d be a cold day in 2012 before Grant would have anything to do with Thomas.

We are not here to say Illinois had to hire an African-American coach. That kind of limitation is nonsense in any search.

We are here to question a search that landed on the latest mid-major white guy with a spotty record when an African-American with an equally impressive resume was ready to interview and never got the courtesy of that interview. At a time the program badly needed to be spiced up, Thomas provided brown sauce on beige food.

Basically, Thomas listened to a search firm from Atlanta but not his own constituency. The search-firm method is popular for all the wrong reasons, driven by plausible deniability. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart get to say “I haven’t talked to anyone from Illinois” and blah, blah.

What it prevents is Thomas getting in a room with one of those home-run hires and actually putting Illinois’ best foot forward. He could play a video of how crazy the Assembly Hall was a few short years ago, play audio of Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale calling the Orange Krush unmatched and the atmosphere being as good as there is in the country. He could point out Illinois is the winningest program in the nation’s historically co-best league (with the ACC). He could offer testimonials about the job (Seth Davis saying it is among the top few). He could assuage fears of the change in U of I presidents by talking about how universally liked Bob Easter is. He could point to CAA champ Drexel’s exclusion from the NCAA tournament or Butler not even getting an NIT call.

Did any of that happen? We’re left to doubt it.

The bad form out of the AD portends many gloomy days ahead as Illinois tries to recruit its own state. While Groce might earn the favor of Tai Streets’ Meanstreets AAU program, from which Ohio standout D.J. Cooper was launched, it likely will be a long, long time before Groce is accepted by the Chicago Fire or the Illinois Wolves. To say Fire chief Michael Irvin is upset about these developments is like saying one-time Groce recruiting coup Greg Oden has been known to get hurt from time to time.

In other words, Mike Thomas has found a way to alienate the University of Illinois from the robust recruiting classes of 2013 and 2014 in Chicago and the rest of Illinois.

He has found a coach who inexplicably has lost about half his games in a mess of a league that includes annual 20-loss programs Toledo, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Miami … pretty much all but Akron, Buffalo and Kent State. By doing that, Thomas has all but assured his interim head coach, Jerrance Howard, will leave his alma mater.

That in turn calls into question the verbal commitments of 2013 standouts Malcolm Hill and Jalen James. It essentially ensures current center Meyers Leonard will leave for the NBA, a decision that was not the fait accompli that the Illini’s hometown press has made you believe all season with its relentless references to Leonard’s lottery status (which, in reality, is shaky).

Whether any or all of the incoming sophomores transfer out remains to be seen. It is feared Tracy Abrams will leave when Howard does, and that Mike Shaw and Myke Henry might follow. But those things are always said before the new coach gets a chance to talk to his new kids. A great deal of persuasion tends to take place in those meetings.

Any kind of legitimate research by Thomas of his actual constituency and playing field at Illinois would have told him that a Theus hire spelled extreme acceptance by Chicago, the best chance at retaining Leonard, the best chance at retaining Howard (short of a Buzz Williams coup), the best chance of James and Hill staying aboard, the best chance at major hauls in 2013 and 2014, the best chance of exciting revered alums in the media business, Kendall Gill and Stephen Bardo … and thus the best chance to be really good really soon.

Thomas was too smart for all that. He acted without Henson’s input. Outside of the recommendations of Jerry Sloan, Rick Pitino, the aforementioned alumni. Instead, he found himself another MAC coach after underwhelming the world by going to that league for his football coach.

At least the MAC has a nice history of producing football coaching stars. It is utterly devoid of that history on the hardwood.

Jim Furyk, er, John Groce, your table is ready. Nobody from your new school is sitting at it, but it’s ready nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
This guy has been squarely on the Reggie Theus bandwagon. I was skeptical at first but he has made some solid arguments.

But he nails Thomas here and rightly so -

Bill Liesse wrote:
What Mike Thomas did and didn’t do

When Mike and Jenny Thomas were transitioning to Champaign-Urbana from Cincinnati, Lou Henson put them up in his house.

When a vacancy developed in the basketball-coaching seat from which Henson amassed the most wins in University of Illinois history, Lou had an outside-the-box suggestion to Thomas as to who should fill it.

Thomas never interviewed that candidate.

What Thomas has done has been a hiring circus of historic proportions. The Bears’ “hiring” of Dave McGinnis will look smooth as an NHL sheet of ice by comparison.

So badly has Thomas crashed that the university called a 3 p.m. press conference Tuesday to announce John Groce as coach. Then had to call off said presser when the Board of Trustees made it apparent it knows a diversity scam when it sees one.

Whether Thomas should have hired Reggie Theus is a matter of rather lively debate. We can agree that in better times, Illinois would have no need to turn to Theus, who is developing a persona of “the perpetual candidate” as he continues to try unsuccessfully to return to a college game in which he coached five years (2002-07), the first three under Rick Pitino at Louisville and the latter two as head man at New Mexico State.

Mike Thomas

How Thomas can look Henson in the eyes upon returning the keys and say that nothing could have come of a Theus interview? Well, that will be his problem. If he tries to con Henson by talking about the token moves that were made — a short phone interview between Theus and Thomas’ assistant; a phone call to ask former employers about Theus (in which the reviews were glowing) after Thomas had reached out and essentially decided on John Groce — you can rest assured Henson won’t be fooled.

Also not fooled by those shady, cover-your-tracks maneuvers will be the BOT, as mentioned, as well as the greater Chicago amateur basketball scene. Overcharacterized as (take your pick) crooks, boycotters, a single voice, bad coaches, etc., these mostly African-American coaches and AAU personnel know a diversity sham when they see one.

The reality is Thomas made a run at one coach of mixed race, Shaka Smart, apparently leaked that reality for what many consider to be trustees-appeasement reasons, then concentrated on a string of white guys.

News reports provide a list of other African-American candidates as if to indicate Thomas worked tirelessly to remove Illinois from its embarrassing role as the rare BCS-conference school with zero coaches of color in its revenue-sports history. They mention Lorenzo Romar, who has been known to not be moving from Washington this late in his career. They did the same with Leonard Hamilton of Florida State, who is even older.

They even were clueless enough to mention Anthony Grant. Grant’s associate head coach at Alabama is Dan Hipsher, who was fired at Akron by one Mike Thomas in a move of maximum bitterness. It’d be a cold day in 2012 before Grant would have anything to do with Thomas.

We are not here to say Illinois had to hire an African-American coach. That kind of limitation is nonsense in any search.

We are here to question a search that landed on the latest mid-major white guy with a spotty record when an African-American with an equally impressive resume was ready to interview and never got the courtesy of that interview. At a time the program badly needed to be spiced up, Thomas provided brown sauce on beige food.

Basically, Thomas listened to a search firm from Atlanta but not his own constituency. The search-firm method is popular for all the wrong reasons, driven by plausible deniability. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart get to say “I haven’t talked to anyone from Illinois” and blah, blah.

What it prevents is Thomas getting in a room with one of those home-run hires and actually putting Illinois’ best foot forward. He could play a video of how crazy the Assembly Hall was a few short years ago, play audio of Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale calling the Orange Krush unmatched and the atmosphere being as good as there is in the country. He could point out Illinois is the winningest program in the nation’s historically co-best league (with the ACC). He could offer testimonials about the job (Seth Davis saying it is among the top few). He could assuage fears of the change in U of I presidents by talking about how universally liked Bob Easter is. He could point to CAA champ Drexel’s exclusion from the NCAA tournament or Butler not even getting an NIT call.

Did any of that happen? We’re left to doubt it.

The bad form out of the AD portends many gloomy days ahead as Illinois tries to recruit its own state. While Groce might earn the favor of Tai Streets’ Meanstreets AAU program, from which Ohio standout D.J. Cooper was launched, it likely will be a long, long time before Groce is accepted by the Chicago Fire or the Illinois Wolves. To say Fire chief Michael Irvin is upset about these developments is like saying one-time Groce recruiting coup Greg Oden has been known to get hurt from time to time.

In other words, Mike Thomas has found a way to alienate the University of Illinois from the robust recruiting classes of 2013 and 2014 in Chicago and the rest of Illinois.

He has found a coach who inexplicably has lost about half his games in a mess of a league that includes annual 20-loss programs Toledo, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Miami … pretty much all but Akron, Buffalo and Kent State. By doing that, Thomas has all but assured his interim head coach, Jerrance Howard, will leave his alma mater.

That in turn calls into question the verbal commitments of 2013 standouts Malcolm Hill and Jalen James. It essentially ensures current center Meyers Leonard will leave for the NBA, a decision that was not the fait accompli that the Illini’s hometown press has made you believe all season with its relentless references to Leonard’s lottery status (which, in reality, is shaky).

Whether any or all of the incoming sophomores transfer out remains to be seen. It is feared Tracy Abrams will leave when Howard does, and that Mike Shaw and Myke Henry might follow. But those things are always said before the new coach gets a chance to talk to his new kids. A great deal of persuasion tends to take place in those meetings.

Any kind of legitimate research by Thomas of his actual constituency and playing field at Illinois would have told him that a Theus hire spelled extreme acceptance by Chicago, the best chance at retaining Leonard, the best chance at retaining Howard (short of a Buzz Williams coup), the best chance of James and Hill staying aboard, the best chance at major hauls in 2013 and 2014, the best chance of exciting revered alums in the media business, Kendall Gill and Stephen Bardo … and thus the best chance to be really good really soon.

Thomas was too smart for all that. He acted without Henson’s input. Outside of the recommendations of Jerry Sloan, Rick Pitino, the aforementioned alumni. Instead, he found himself another MAC coach after underwhelming the world by going to that league for his football coach.

At least the MAC has a nice history of producing football coaching stars. It is utterly devoid of that history on the hardwood.

Jim Furyk, er, John Groce, your table is ready. Nobody from your new school is sitting at it, but it’s ready nonetheless.

Sums it up quite nicely. Illinois could have put its best foot forward and gone for a smash and instead fucked itself long and hard. Now they look totally foolish and inept.

Good job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Well I think I had it right that a deal was reached between AD and Groce.

Who would think the Board would shut it down.

Time for new AD if this happens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
bigfan wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
SHARK wrote:
bigfan wrote:

+1

If the Board shuts down the guy's first hire, he should quit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
SomeGuy wrote:
Illinois could have put its best foot forward and gone for a smash

I don't think most of us consider Reggie Theus a "smash", do we?

If the Board shuts down the guy's first hire, he should quit.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

Zach Zaidman just reported that Illinois is not a top 25 program. The DePaul-friendly media is finally striking!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Zach Zaidman just reported that Illinois is not a top 25 program. The DePaul-friendly media is finally striking!

This morning Sir Larry tried to say that Jeannie Ponsetto made a smooth hire of Purnell. That isn't exactly the way I remember it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:17 pm 

So, Frank Martin basically got fired from Kansas State, so he may not have been the best hire they could have made either even if he's a bigger name.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm 

I believe the biggest Illinois supporter on the board told me last week that Illinois didnt have administration problems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Well this is fun.

Here's what has happened from how I understand it. I have two people who are relatively close to the situation, though they contradict sometimes so who the fuck knows. This is the best I can piece together.

Weber was DOA pretty much as soon as the slide began. Thomas and Weber had a chilly relationship (much chiller than Zook and Thomas) and there was a good chance Weber was gone even if Illinois somehow snuck into the tournament as a low seed. Because of that Thomas had been searching for quite some time and had an understanding--through back channels, of course--that Shaka Smart was at least receptive to the idea of coming to Illinois. They'd still have to negotiate the finer points but he wasn't going to be shot down.

Fast-forward to after the first week of the tourney. Indiana beats VCU and Smart is done. Pretty much from the time VCU lost until the following Tuesday Smart and his people were talking with Illinois. Smart wanted serious money, but more importantly, he wanted freedom of operation and a healthy buyout clause in case things didn't work out. Maybe scared by the $15 bajillion the school just paid in buyouts Thomas was reluctant on that score.

It's possible that could have been overcome but around that same time a few prominent and semi-prominent head coaches starting telling folks not to take the job. Izzo probably has the most clout within the group but Mick Cronin, who hated Mike Thomas at Cincinnati, didn't help either. The combination of this and negotiating stuff led Smart to turn the job down, which wasn't shocking but did leave Thomas a bit exposed.

Stevens was another obvious candidate but he was practically a no-go from the beginning. Izzo and the gang hurt here as well, and Gene Keady apparently had a talk with Stevens at some point.

Feelers were put out to Hamilton, Romar, and Grant, but none except for maybe Grant were really seriously considered. They denied interest but a lot of that was just due diligence. People are assuming they are a much bigger part of this than they really were, maybe because of their race and the stink over Beckman. Buzz Williams has never really been contacted, maybe because they don't think they will get him.

Frank Martin was never a serious consideration because of shadiness issues. Illinois could have had Martin in a heartbeat but there was no mutual interest there. Thomas has no interest in hiring Reggie Theus, maybe for the same reasons, and partly because his qualifications are lacking, but also because he doesn't believe he'll be here for more than a year or two.

Groce really was a target from early on, more so than some of the other names, though obviously a fallback. Of the two trustees that complained about Beckman, one gave the thumbs up after the Smart failure. One stayed silent. He is now complaining about Craig Robinson, who will absolutely not be the next head coach of Illinois unless Mike Thomas resigns.

I'd be shocked if John Groce wasn't the next head coach. I'd also be shocked if Mike Thomas survives the 2012-13 academic year, whether through his own volition or because acting President Easter clears him out after the abortive Hogan presidency. Beckman is reasonably safe because despite the complaints the board didn't really have a problem with him. Groce--or whomever will be the next coach--is almost certainly not safe. This could be a very short reign for whomever is selected. Oh, and Groce might have cold feet now for that very reason, although that could be a negotiating ploy as well. The document is not signed.

Illinois athletics!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:41 pm 

Dammit. This circus side show has even brought the boy back.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 pm 

I am still counting this as one of my four breaking stories!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 pm 

spanky wrote:
I believe the biggest Illinois supporter on the board told me last week that Illinois didnt have administration problems.

Who said that? There's a bigger supporter here than me? Wow.

I never said that. However, I did not feel it would be a factor but it seems to have been for some. In that respect, I feel you were correct and I was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 pm 

Severely lacking in administration? I don't get that. He's fired everybody because they weren't his people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 pm 

spanky wrote:
Severely lacking in administration? I don't get that. He's fired everybody because they weren't his people.

I'm talking about Thomas. You were talking about Hogan.

I was conceding. You took it with grace.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm 

spanky wrote:

Who said that? There's a bigger supporter here than me? Wow.

I never said that. However, I did not feel it would be a factor but it seems to have been for some. In that respect, I feel you were correct and I was wrong.

Steve Stricker and his agent?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:31 am 

Jerence Howard now final sticking point is the issue, or else this would have been announced. 2 Trustees want him to remain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Jerence Howard now final sticking point is the issue, or else this would have been announced. 2 Trustees want him to remain.

Are you saying Groce doesn't want him or Howard doesn't want to stay with Groce and they are trying to convince him?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I just want them to get Groce now and move along. What a mess this has been. He'll probably be
a pretty good coach, he just needs to bring in some talent and coach them up and hope what he
has doesn't bolt. They obviously need a bit more size but from the young talent I saw this season
they should be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am 

You took it with grace.

I would never take her anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
ESPN now reporting that Illinois has hired Groce.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:49 am 

I feel the energy already.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Illinois gets lucky with GroceThey might have stumbled on Ohio coach, but Illini will be glad they found him.

March 29, 2012, 9:19 AM ETBy Jon Greenberg | ESPNChicago.com

John Groce was a hero on the brick streets of Athens, Ohio, the first coach to take the Ohio Bobcats to two NCAA tournaments since the early 1980s, and he was a missed free throw, perhaps, from taking a 13-seed to the Elite Eight.

You might not have heard of him before this year's tournament, but he didn't come out of the cornfields of the Mid-American Conference.

In four years, he took a fairly average mid-major program and turned it into a March pest. At 40, Groce is the perfect coach to take over the University of Illinois. He's young, hungry and aggressive. He recruits point guards and gives them the keys to his offense. His teams play fast, shooting 3s and causing turnovers.

No, Shaka Smart didn't want the job. But this isn't a dumb hire for the Illinois.

John Groce led Ohio to the Sweet 16 this season before losing to No. 1 seed North Carolina in overtime on Friday.Yes, it's official (well, almost). Illinois will replace Bruce Weber with John Groce, sources told ESPNChicago.com on Wednesday night. The search took longer than expected and the negotiations between Groce and athletic director Mike Thomas stretched things out to an interminable length, at least for our 140-character attention span.

After news of his imminent hiring became public, Groce (pronounced Gross) was looked at like he's a nobody by the Illinois fan base, the media and probably some Chicago coaches. Some of the cynicism is simply ignorance, but it's understandable. Illinois basketball hasn't had much go right since making the NCAA championship game in 2005.

Groce was on a roll at Ohio, beating Michigan and South Florida and nearly upsetting North Carolina in the tournament. Two years ago, the Bobcats beat Georgetown.

Needless to say, as publicity goes, the search to replace Weber did not start off well. You get the feeling if Thomas were on "The Bachelor," he'd be proposing to a key grip by the third episode.

There is nothing wrong with getting turned down by the likes of Smart and Brad Stevens, two elite young coaches with no reason to bail on their programs, especially with uncertainty in Illinois' administration. But the public nature of Thomas' failures didn't do much for Illinois' already faltering Q-rating. And it certainly wasn't fair to the coach who wanted the job all along.

As an Ohio alum, I was already well familiar with Groce. I watch games online, read everything and get background information from my sources ("Deep D.P. Dough") in Athens.

So here is what I know about Groce:

Illinois is getting a top-flight recruiter. Groce didn't get this job with coaching chops alone. If you care about meaningless awards, Rivals.com named him recruiter of the year in 2006 when he landed Greg Oden, Mike Conley and Daequan Cook, which resulted in an NCAA finals appearance. Check out Ohio State in the Final Four this weekend. Groce was still on staff when most of the current team was being recruited.

Don't believe the noise, especially for them, that Chicago coaches won't like him. They will like him just fine once they meet him. He will recruit Chicago better than the Illinois coaches who preceded him. His assistants (according to the Chicago Tribune, some of the holdup was due to his salary demands for them) and Jerrance Howard (if he stays) will complement Groce, who does fine on his own.

Groce got D.J. Cooper, the feisty Chicago point guard, to commit to Ohio by leading the recruiting charge himself. He first saw Cooper play for Meanstreets AAU club shortly after getting the Ohio job, and summarily impressed Cooper's then-assistant coach at Seton Academy, Brandon Thomas.

"Ohio doesn't get D.J. if Groce is not recruiting himself," Thomas said. "He showed he wasn't too big to drop by school himself."

Cooper isn't Jabari Parker, the crown prince of Chicago, but I have a feeling Groce will have a shot with Chicago's best players. Cooper has been telling people that Groce will do very well in his hometown, and tweeted congratulations to current Illinois guard D.J. Richardson.

"He is a fantastic recruiter, fantastic," ESPN analyst and Indianapolis radio host Dan Dakich said on the "Waddle & Silvy" show on Monday on ESPN 1000. "No messing around. No, 'Well, he doesn't do this.' Terrific, terrific in people's homes, terrific in terms of being able to evaluate."

Remember, the notion that Chicago is the only place to recruit is a fallacy. You've got to recruit the whole state and beyond. Groce, an Indiana native and graduate of Taylor University, has a big recruiting footprint in Indiana and Ohio. He even got a Champaign kid, Jay Kinney, in his first class at Ohio. It didn't work out -- Kinney was dismissed for breaking rules -- but Kinney is now lighting up the WAC for San Jose State.

Illinois is getting a program builder. Ohio wasn't quite in shambles when he got hired in the summer of 2008, but it wasn't a strong team. The culture wasn't very good, one insider said. In Groce's second year, the Bobcats went 7-9 in the MAC, but won the MAC tournament and beat the Hoyas in the first round. The next year saw some changeover, but observers could see the sea change in the program this season.

I've heard people disparage Groce's 34-30 conference record -- Ohio won a school-record 29 games and was third in the MAC at 11-5 this year -- but if you look closer, you see the development. Also, conference record in the MAC isn't as meaningful as say, the Big Ten. There hasn't been an at-large team out of the conference since 1999. So you want to win when it matters: February and March. Groce is 85-56 overall at Ohio. If you didn't know him before the tournament, it's because he's not much of a self-promoter.

"I'm one guy who doesn't get caught up in that," he told me before the NCAA tournament began. "That's not my deal, making 10 phone calls to reporters to throw my name out there. I learned that from Thad."

An Ohio source said Groce was emotional at the thought of leaving his team. But, of course, no coach passes up the Big Ten to stay in the MAC.

But Groce is a high-major coach, if such a distinction exists anymore. He is certainly a Big Ten coach, not a mid-major wallflower. Groce worked under Thad Matta as he made a four-year jump from Butler to Xavier to Ohio State. I'm sure this tournament trip only reinforced his desire to get back to a league in which Final Fours are expected.

The remaining core of his first recruiting class -- Cooper, Reggie Keely and Ivo Baltic -- will break every wins record at the college. You won't find many Mid-American Conference recruiting classes with multiple wins in the NCAA tournaments.

Groce is a good coach who can also coach talent.

"If there are 20 coaches with better X's and O's skills, I'd be surprised," one MAC assistant coach said. Ohio used a kick-and-shoot offense to get to the Sweet 16, and during the regular season averaged more than nine steals a game. North Carolina had 24 turnovers in the Sweet 16 game.

Weber is known as a strong coach, but it was obvious he lost his most recent team, the one stocked with Chicago-area players. Groce, a coffee junkie, is more intense than Weber, and that should pay off when it comes to connecting with players. But he's also more likely to let talent shine. He runs an up-tempo offense dominated by fast, athletic guards. Yeah, doesn't sound like it would fit Chicago at all.

Evan Turner, who played under Groce at Ohio State is a fan. He tweeted: "Coach Groce's offense is legit. Built for guards. The big ten is going to get even better in the future. Yessir"

If you don't believe him, look at Cooper, who shot about 35 percent from the field and was known to pull up five feet behind the 3-point line. Groce gave him space to succeed. Don't be surprised if Cooper plays in the NBA.

"One time at a clinic, Doc Rivers said one thing he wishes he would've done as a young coach was be less controlling with his best players, because it takes away from their aggressiveness," Groce said. "So I try to do that with D.J. He feels like he has to be aggressive, be in attack mode, and to do that he has to take one or two shots that makes people cross their eyes over, so be it. … If you bridle him, he's not going to be nearly as good or aggressive. I want him to attack."

Illinois is getting a good coach. Plain and simple.

The perception of this hire isn't great right now, but that will change quickly. Thomas might have stumbled into Groce, but he'll be glad he found him.

Jon Greenberg is a columnist for ESPNChicago.com.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:33 am 

You read nothing but good things about the guy. I don't blame Groce that Thomas made this a circus.

I hope it works out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 am 

You read nothing but good things about the guy.

Just like the football coach.

What are people going to say in the articles tho?

"That dude sucks, awful hire!"

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
You read nothing but good things about the guy. I don't blame Groce that Thomas made this a circus.

I hope it works out.

+ 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am 

SMU has been granted permission to talk to Buzz Williams. (insert proper emoticon here)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Who?

Isn't this the update guy during Mully and Hanley?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 am 

I think this is a better hire than the football coach.

This guy at least has been at a successful Big Ten program and contributed and had postseason success. I don't think Beckman's history is quite as strong in that regard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next