It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
While I like the run and gun Illini, I am beginning to long for the days of shut down defense. These guys do not try to guard anyone and can't rebound worth shit.

I like Groce, but I hope he teaches some defense at some point in his days at Illinois.

No longing here. This is a vast improvement for this talent base.

They can't even handle Purdue. They are doomed this Big Ten season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Can't go 1-15 on the road against anybody.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm 

Giving up 16 offensive rebounds isn't going to get it done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm 

Illinois' big men should be embarrassed. What a bunch of pussies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 pm 

Lack of rebounding and over reliance on the 3 pt shot is not going to cut it in the Big 10, especially on the road.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
RFDC wrote:
Lack of rebounding and over reliance on the 3 pt shot is not going to cut it in the Big 10, especially on the road.

Looks that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 am 

We won this one for Bruce Weber!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:00 am 

It's a shame Bruce Weber never won one for Bruce Weber.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Real interesting matchup for the Illini tonight at home vs. Minnesota. Illinois played really well over the
weekend blowing out Ohio State and continue to be undefeated at home. They still need to pick up their
shooting percentage but their uptempo offense continues to pay nice dividends and makes them tough to
defend. Egwu had a nice breakout game against OSU so it will be intereeting to see if he can continue to
improve. This will be Minnesota's first road game in over a month, I find that pretty wild at this stage of the
season and may make things a bit tougher for the Gophers. Game will be broadcast tonight at 8 on BTN.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am 

Minnesota is the #1 offensive rebounding team in the country. If Illinois doesn't rebound, they will not win this game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Does that dynamic really exist in the college game nowadays? Seems like it's more about the path of least resistance en route to the NBA. Hell, that dynamic barely exists in the NBA, as you alluded to with LeBron.

Yeah, I'm not even sure the elite college player really cares about winning a championship. Playing that year is just something the NBA is illegally forcing him to do.

If it was illegal it would have been over turned by now. When in fact it is collectively bargained. No one says they cant go to the DLeague or Europe.

You can't collectively bargain on behalf of people you don't represent. It's clearly and obviously illegal and would never stand if it were challenged.

Sorry, just catching up in this thread, but why do you believe this? What is different between this and the NFL's age limit, which was unsuccessfully challenged by Maurice Clarett?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Minnesota is the #1 offensive rebounding team in the country. If Illinois doesn't rebound, they will not win this game.

Yeah, that is definitely the Achilles heel for this team, especially when they are shooting as poorly as they have
been in general.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:

Sorry, just catching up in this thread, but why do you believe this? What is different between this and the NFL's age limit, which was unsuccessfully challenged by Maurice Clarett?

I don't know the particulars of the Clarett case. But I do know that an eighteen year in the U.S. has the legal right to contract and no organization can arbitrarily take away such a right. I think the obvious answer as to why the "rule" isn't challenged is that, from a practical standpoint, by the time the case is settled, the year would be completed anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't know the particulars of the Clarett case. But I do know that an eighteen year in the U.S. has the legal right to contract and no organization can arbitrarily take away such a right. I think the obvious answer as to why the "rule" isn't challenged is that, from a practical standpoint, by the time the case is settled, the year would be completed anyway.

I agree on the impracticality of challenging such a rule, I just am not sure I agree on the legality. An 18 year old has a right to work, but he doesn't have a right to work wherever he wants. Do you think the age minimum of 35 for President would be overturned if challenged by an 18 year old also?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I agree on the impracticality of challenging such a rule, I just am not sure I agree on the legality. An 18 year old has a right to work, but he doesn't have a right to work wherever he wants. Do you think the age minimum of 35 for President would be overturned if challenged by an 18 year old also?

That's a Constitutional issue and far from arbitrary. I'm sure you see the difference.

I just don't see how an eighteen year old with all the skills, ability, and training necessary to ply his trade could be prevented from doing so by what is practically, if not specifically, a monopoly and have that stand up under legal scrutiny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's a Constitutional issue and far from arbitrary. I'm sure you see the difference.

I just don't see how an eighteen year old with all the skills, ability, and training necessary to ply his trade could be prevented from doing so by what is practically, if not specifically, a monopoly and have that stand up under legal scrutiny.

Well a select few of them have the skills, ability, and mental maturity to succeed in the league as an 18 year old. Many others dont. The NBA was realizing that either they were collectively failing to accurately scout these kids, or that they simply werent able to accurately scout them enough to keep from letting enough unqualified kids into the league via the draft to dilute the talent pool even further and hurt the product in the process. So they came up with a rule to help filter out the unwanted prospects and get more scouting info on the ones that do qualify for the draft. I dont see any legality issue in a business making a decision to improve it's product. The Presidential example probably isn't as analogous as the Clarett example though, but I think Clarett unsuccessfully challenging the NFL would set a precedent for any judge overseeing a similar NBA suit.

As for the monopoly issue, nobody is forcing them to go to college. Brandon Jenning went and played abroad, made six figures for a year, and came back and was a top 10 pick who had a great rookie season.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Well a select few of them have the skills, ability, and mental maturity to succeed in the league as an 18 year old. Many others dont. The NBA was realizing that either they were collectively failing to accurately scout these kids, or that they simply werent able to accurately scout them enough to keep from letting enough unqualified kids into the league via the draft to dilute the talent pool even further and hurt the product in the process. So they came up with a rule to help filter out the unwanted prospects and get more scouting info on the ones that do qualify for the draft. I dont see any legality issue in a business making a decision to improve it's product. The Presidential example probably isn't as analogous as the Clarett example though, but I think Clarett unsuccessfully challenging the NFL would set a precedent for any judge overseeing a similar NBA suit.

As for the monopoly issue, nobody is forcing them to go to college. Brandon Jenning went and played abroad, made six figures for a year, and came back and was a top 10 pick who had a great rookie season.

Whether they have the skills, ability and maturity to succeed is irrelevant. All they need is the skills, ability and maturity to get signed which many obviously do.

Where the NBA might have a problem is when a guy like Rose who would clearly be drafted near the top but is forced to play elsewhere for a year and await the natural payday from the market and he happens to have a career-ending injury. I'd quickly be looking for an attorney to file an action against the NBA based on the money I would have made without their rule. I'd call GM after GM and let them get on the stand. We'd find out of they would lie to protect the league or admit that they'd make the pick and pay the slotted amount.

I think that's the only way it would happen unless an owner like Cuban decided he was getting the shaft on a LeBron-like talent with the first pick in the guy's forbidden year. Most owners wouldn't fight that battle and most players aren't going to sue their future employers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:28 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

I like their chances at home tonight. I think they might struggle on the road in conference play. I'll go with -

vs. Minnesota W
at Wisconsin L
vs. Northwestern W
at Nebraska W
vs. Michigan L
at Michigan State L
vs. Wisconsin W
vs. Indiana L
at Minnesota L
vs. Purdue W
at Northwestern W
vs. Penn State W
at Michigan L
vs. Nebraska W
at Iowa W
at Ohio State L

That would put them 10-8 and 23-9 and in the Tourney.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Whether they have the skills, ability and maturity to succeed is irrelevant. All they need is the skills, ability and maturity to get signed which many obviously do.

Where the NBA might have a problem is when a guy like Rose who would clearly be drafted near the top but is forced to play elsewhere for a year and await the natural payday from the market and he happens to have a career-ending injury. I'd quickly be looking for an attorney to file an action against the NBA based on the money I would have made without their rule. I'd call GM after GM and let them get on the stand. We'd find out of they would lie to protect the league or admit that they'd make the pick and pay the slotted amount.

I think that's the only way it would happen unless an owner like Cuban decided he was getting the shaft on a LeBron-like talent with the first pick in the guy's forbidden year. Most owners wouldn't fight that battle and most players aren't going to sue their future employers.

Yeah but once again, I think the Clarett decision would set the precedent to rule in the league's favor. Obviously I dont know the law like someone like IB or stoneroses, but I cant think of anything I've heard about that would prohibit the NBA from setting an age-limit. I'm not even necessarily in favor of the one and done rule, I just believe the NBA has a right to have that rule. I would like to see a scenario like the one you describe, but I dont think it would have the intended result you would be looking for.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 pm 

I like the way you have them lined up Doc. The Badgers aren't very good this year and even though they play well
at the Kohl Center I would be inclined to give the Illini the win there and a loss against one subpar team along the way.
It would really be a resume booster to beat Michigan at home but that would be a tough one to pull off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:04 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I like the way you have them lined up Doc. The Badgers aren't very good this year and even though they play well
at the Kohl Center I would be inclined to give the Illini the win there and a loss against one subpar team along the way.
It would really be a resume booster to beat Michigan at home but that would be a tough one to pull off.

They beat Butler and Gonzaga, so their resume will be strong if they can finish .500 or better in conference.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:11 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

They beat Butler and Gonzaga, so their resume will be strong if they can finish .500 or better in conference.

Oh, I agree. A big win vs. Ohio State won't hurt either. I just hope they can beat most of the teams they should
on paper. That Purdue loss isn't a horrible one but if you drop one to Nebraska or Penn St. that could hurt pretty bad
when it comes to seeding time assuming they make the tournament. After last year I don't want to make any
assumptions this early in the Big Ten schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Oh, I agree. A big win vs. Ohio State won't hurt either. I just hope they can beat most of the teams they should
on paper. That Purdue loss isn't a horrible one but if you drop one to Nebraska or Penn St. that could hurt pretty bad
when it comes to seeding time assuming they make the tournament. After last year I don't want to make any
assumptions this early in the Big Ten schedule.

If they are .500 or better in the Big Ten, they are definitely in. If they are .500 but lose to teams they should beat, it will only mean they are were able to beat the top teams in the league at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 pm 

T-Bone and BC, I would like to politely ask you guys to stop derailing this thread. JORR and I are trying to keep this discussion on track. Thanks guys.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
T-Bone and BC, I would like to politely ask you guys to stop derailing this thread. JORR and I are trying to keep this discussion on track. Thanks guys.

Hey man, no one talks serious issues in the Illini thread! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
FavreFan wrote:

Did you guys hear that Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez broke up?

And Heath Ledger died.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I like their chances at home tonight. I think they might struggle on the road in conference play. I'll go with -

vs. Minnesota W
at Wisconsin L
vs. Northwestern W
at Nebraska W
vs. Michigan L
at Michigan State L
vs. Wisconsin W
vs. Indiana L
at Minnesota L
vs. Purdue W
at Northwestern W
vs. Penn State W
at Michigan L
vs. Nebraska W
at Iowa W
at Ohio State L

That would put them 10-8 and 23-9 and in the Tourney.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment of what will happen this year.

No one better take you guys lightly or they will be getting a L.

I hate the fact that Indiana and Illinois only play once this year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 pm 

Well at least rebounding did not kill them tonight.

3-23 from behind the arc didn't help tho.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Well at least rebounding did not kill them tonight.

3-23 from behind the arc didn't help tho.

They are good at getting to the basket. It would be nice to see them do it more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Huge fan of Groce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next