It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Les Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:33 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Zizou wrote:
Heard rumors of Jimbo coming back to Baton Rouge.

They're talking around that on ESPN today. Why LSU would want him is beyond me. I wouldn't trust him, or want to pay his buyout at Free Shoes U.

Justin Fuentes would be at the top of any search I was conducting, what he has done at Memphis is crazy.

Which one of his losses in the last 3 weeks was your favorite? :D

And how does an SEC guy not know what the LSU/corn dog thing is?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:41 am 

LSU (and their BOOSTERS!!) can't be looking for some young, up and coming coach. They want a GIGANTIC name who is allegedly a great coach.

There are only about 3 or 4 current NCAAF coaches who are clearly better than Miles, if that. And one of those already ran away to a better spot. Now, we could debate another 10 or so, but not sure a lot them can actually be described as better, especially keeping in mind that they are looking for an established name.

This is gonna be bad.....no way LSU wins this one at this point in time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:34 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Les Miles has moved into Mac Brown-Steve Spurrier category. The buyout is huge but if the boosters know he ain't winning another Title..see ya.

There are about a dozen or so universities that are restocked with the best talent in the Country on a yearly basis, LSU is on that short list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Les Miles isn't going to a shit show like U of I.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:51 am 

Miles ain't slumming it in Champaign, If he's smart he goes to Miami.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 am 

312player wrote:
Les Miles has moved into Mac Brown-Steve Spurrier category. The buyout is huge but if the boosters know he ain't winning another Title..see ya.

There are about a dozen or so universities that are restocked with the best talent in the Country on a yearly basis, LSU is on that short list.

that's the main idea. yes, miles has his accomplishments at LSU but it's pretty clear that this team is headed in the wrong direction. much of the criticism is that his style is out of date. once that happens, it's time to move on. 3 embarrassing losses in a row this year should just be the nail in the coffin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 am 

312player wrote:
This will be controversial I'm sure, but the Illinois job is better than the Miami job once Illinois gets its house in order with an athletic director.

The only difference between Miami and South Florida is blatant cheating and cocaine.

Speaking of Illinois though, what exactly is their plan? Is the interim AD going to hire a football coach?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:45 am 

spanky wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Zizou wrote:
Heard rumors of Jimbo coming back to Baton Rouge.

They're talking around that on ESPN today. Why LSU would want him is beyond me. I wouldn't trust him, or want to pay his buyout at Free Shoes U.

Justin Fuentes would be at the top of any search I was conducting, what he has done at Memphis is crazy.

Which one of his losses in the last 3 weeks was your favorite? :D

And how does an SEC guy not know what the LSU/corn dog thing is?

I have never heard of the corn dog thing, I even asked somebody from back home and they didn't either. And if you can't understand what he is done at Memphis, your college football credential needs to be revoked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:46 am 

spanky wrote:
LSU (and their BOOSTERS!!) can't be looking for some young, up and coming coach. They want a GIGANTIC name who is allegedly a great coach.

There are only about 3 or 4 current NCAAF coaches who are clearly better than Miles, if that. And one of those already ran away to a better spot. Now, we could debate another 10 or so, but not sure a lot them can actually be described as better, especially keeping in mind that they are looking for an established name.

This is gonna be bad.....no way LSU wins this one at this point in time.

I just don't know that he is that great of a coach, the talent he gets alone can win a lot of games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
LSU was basically an 8-4 football program until Saban and Miles took them to perennial title contender. SEC is much tougher now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
LSU was basically an 8-4 football program until Saban and Miles took them to perennial title contender. SEC is much tougher now.

and a team like Florida is more than happy to fill the vacuum created by Miles leaving. I think we forget that Florida was on automatic with top 5 finishes and NYD bowls just a few seasons ago. It wasn't that long ago that Tennessee was like that. It also looks like Ole Miss is ready to become that type of program.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:14 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
This will be controversial I'm sure, but the Illinois job is better than the Miami job once Illinois gets its house in order with an athletic director.

The only difference between Miami and South Florida is blatant cheating and cocaine.

Speaking of Illinois though, what exactly is their plan? Is the interim AD going to hire a football coach?

Miami is one of those programs that is living on success from 20 years ago. People are always quick to reannoint the Canes and it never happens.

Still, I'll take recruiting kids to warm weather over recruiting on the name of the Big 10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:22 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I just don't know that he is that great of a coach, the talent he gets alone can win a lot of games.

Stocking a program year after year with studs is the biggest part of being a good college coach.
He'll never be as good of an in-game coach as he is a recruiter, but there's a LOT of schools that would die for the recruiting like Miles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 am 

spanky wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Stocking a program year after year with studs is the biggest part of being a good college coach.
He'll never be as good of an in-game coach as he is a recruiter, but there's a LOT of schools that would die for the recruiting like Miles.

Never disagreed about the recruiting, but I am not sure it is hard to recruit there. It is a pretty prime time location, but offensively there are just absolutely terrible at times and he hasn't been able to fix it, that is on him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am 

Va Tech would be a great spot for Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:55 am 

spanky wrote:
Va Tech would be a great spot for Les

The Mad Hatter would probably do well there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I have never heard of the corn dog thing, I even asked somebody from back home and they didn't either. And if you can't understand what he is done at Memphis, your college football credential needs to be revoked.

it's an internet thing. short version, the joke is that lsu fans "smell like corn dogs". i can think of far more offensive foodstuffs to be compared to smelling like...but that's the south for you. and/or the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
W_Z wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

it's an internet thing. short version, the joke is that lsu fans "smell like corn dogs". i can think of far more offensive foodstuffs to be compared to smelling like...but that's the south for you. and/or the internet.

Started with Auburn fans and has permeated through the SEC.

I heard stories when I was in Oxford a few weeks ago about "corndog traps" during LSU week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:36 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

and a team like Florida is more than happy to fill the vacuum created by Miles leaving. I think we forget that Florida was on automatic with top 5 finishes and NYD bowls just a few seasons ago. It wasn't that long ago that Tennessee was like that. It also looks like Ole Miss is ready to become that type of program.

I don't remember Tennessee ever being a National power, I think they won a title as soon as Choke Artist Peyton left.

Miami sucks, yes but they send more players to the NFL every year than almost every other school.. The instate talent in Florida is nuts.. Miami, Florida and FSU pretty much recruit themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
I do not think being a "top program" really matters for coaches much anymore. I think they basically look for 3 things:

1. Money
2. Facilities
3. Conference

Les Miles' name alone will get recruits. If a school in one of the big conferences can give him the money and have top notch facilities, he would probably consider going to a number of schools.

I think Les would like a return to the Big Ten (his style of football). Miami's facilities suck. I think Illinois just upgraded all of their football facilities. If they are willing to pay for him, I think he might listen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:50 pm 

Isn't nice facilities ( while nice) only a recruiting tool? Sure Miami has shitty facilities.. But They still recruit better than any other school. Send Dantonio to Georgia, Lsu, Miami,Florida St, Texas ..he wins multiple titles.. These schools recruit themselves and only need a good coach.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
USC is sitting there too. Nice landing spot for Les there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:57 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Chip Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:06 pm 

I could definitely see Chip Kelly fired in 6 weeks, He'd be smart to take that LSU or Miami job.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:15 pm 

spanky wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Chip Kelly

You have to believe that Kelly's at USC as soon as the Eagles are mathematically out, or he screws up another press conference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:19 pm 

IMO LSU and Miami are better jobs than USC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:22 pm 

312player wrote:
IMO LSU and Miami are better jobs than USC.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Pat Haden is just a fuck up of colossal stature.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 pm 

Aren't we in agreement? Hayden is USC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 pm 

312player wrote:
Aren't we in agreement? Hayden is USC

And as soon as he's gone, it's probably on par with Notre Dame again. Four coaches in three years with his ringing endorsements has to get him the ax before the New Year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Come on Brick. Stop.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next