It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:18 pm 

I caught a marathon of episodes FX was running about "The League". The show is hysterical. Five guys from Chicago have their own fantasy league and their lives revolve around it. I wanted to get comments from anyone who has seen it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 am 

I watched a few mins of it. Too unrealisitc for me. And the joking cameraderie between the guys seems really forced.

Its better than My Boys...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
First season was pretty funny, even hilarious at times. But it did seem forced in a some ways and the banter isn't natural....neither are some of the situations. I excused those failings because of the overall "funny" the show had, how the women looked at the league and some of the ways the guys treated it are decent reflections of my league and probably other leagues as well. Things like injury reports, picking up free agents, the draft and the friend that never knows what he is doing amongst other stuff.

I just can't see the show having enough material to get through more than 1-2 seasons without jumping the shark completely and going creatively bust. Ep 1 of Season 2 kind of confirmed this sentiment. The Ocho Cinco thing was wack, so was the club scene, the "rosterbation" etc. There will probably be some funny stuff to come but I bet it will be hidden in lots of shit and semi-funny to not really funny laughs. They will have to start reaching and than the show will be over.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Yeah, the show is so corny it almost seems like it was actually made for wives and girlfriends who know nothing about fantasy football.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
I DVR'd the marathon they ran a couple of Saturdays ago, and when my own fantasy team stumbled the following day, I started watching them. I loved all of the 6 episodes and thought all of the main characters were pretty funny.

The one balding dude with the gap in his front teeth bugs me on those "I Love the 80s" type shows on VH1, but he's great on The League.

I even thought episode 1 of their 2nd season was pretty damn funny, too. I was pissed I hadn't used "roster-bation" before I heard it in the Ochocinco episode. After every draft in my league, we have the same group of guys who stay afterward and stare at the draft board, oohing and ahhing at their own picks and making fun of other teams. Odds would indicate one of them has probably beat off at the thought of their own team. I can neither confirm nor deny that person is me.

I would say 5% of the show is about fantasy football, and 95% about friends being dicks to each other, which is how me and my friends are. Great show.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I think the only reason I keep watching it is because it's on right after Always Sunny, and there isn't anything else on at 9:30 on a Thursday night

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=50602

I understand the complaints, and I guess I've let it go I was not brought on as a technical advisor. I still think it's damn funny, even if they exploit our fantasy football.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I wonder if this was recorded the night Matt Forte knocked up his ex girlfriend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I wonder if this was recorded the night Matt Forte knocked up his ex girlfriend.

Too soon! In a comedy way, not a filming way. :shock:

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.