It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I thought this up in the car on the way to work today (assuming it wasn't already thought up by someone else). Nothing more annoying than when you score a ton of points only to lose to someone who scored more. I play in a 20 team league and have even lost games where I had the 2nd most points of all 20 teams, but played vs the guy who was #1. And on the flipside you have someone who wins his game 60-48 and gets a win even though you doubled his output. So here's my idea....

Leagues go to a point system whereby the team that wins the H2H game would get 1pt and then all the teams that finished in the top half in scoring that week would also get 1pt. So the max pts you could get each week is 2. So for example here is a scoreboard for a 10 team league...

Team A 154
Team B 137

Team C 110
Team D 45

Team E 64
Team F 38

Team G 175
Team H 99

Team I 88
Team J 75

In this example here are how the points would end up that week...

Team A = 2pts
Team B = 1pt
Team C = 2pts
Team D = 0pts
Team E = 1pt
Team F = 0pts
Team G = 2pts
Team H = 1pts
Team I = 1pts
Team J = 0pt

Under this system its much more equitable and balanced in that teams like B and H, who scored more than half the teams in the league, still get a point despite losing to teams who had huge weeks. On the flipside, a team like E who only scored 64 pts but won, only gets 1pt and therefore isn't rewarded at the same level of teams like A and G who had monster weeks.

I think this is a great system and would minimize the bad/good luck factor of matchups, something that you have no control over and would reward your teams actual output instead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:48 am 

Terrible idea. Keep thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 am 

It is frustrating when you lose in those situations. But it is no different than regular football. If the Bears lose to the Packers 41-40 and they scored the 2nd most points in the league that day they do not get anything added to their record. it is just the way it works some days.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Why even play head to head? Set your lineup each week and hope to score a lot of points and at the end of the season the team with the most points wins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:03 am 

RFDC wrote:
It is frustrating when you lose in those situations. But it is no different than regular football. If the Bears lose to the Packers 41-40 and they scored the 2nd most points in the league that day they do not get anything added to their record. it is just the way it works some days.

The key difference being that in real football you have control over how many points your opponent scores.

So that's a terrible analogy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Why even play head to head? Set your lineup each week and hope to score a lot of points and at the end of the season the team with the most points wins.

In my scenario H2H matchups account for 50% of the scoring so your post makes no sense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:06 am 

anyone who doesn't recognize what a brilliant idea this is is an idiot. There is no downside to my idea and all it does is make things more fair and eliminate a large portion of the luck factor involved in H2H without going completely in the opposite direction and becoming a boring roto setup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 am 

shakes wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

In my scenario H2H matchups account for 50% of the scoring so your post makes no sense.

Neither does your OP. Head to head means you play head to head. Sometimes you get lucky and win during a bad week and sometimes you lose during a great week. It will even out by the end of the year. If you dont want to play head to head then dont.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am 

I think somebody was up in Wisconsin and listening to 540, they had this same discussion the other day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I think somebody was up in Wisconsin and listening to 540, they had this same discussion the other day.

That further convinces me that it is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:12 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

That further convinces me that it is a bad idea.

:evil:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:16 am 

shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:

The key difference being that in real football you have control over how many points your opponent scores.

My bad. I forgot you only post stuff like this because you want people to agree with you and stroke your ego.

Your idea sucks.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:16 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Neither does your OP. Head to head means you play head to head. Sometimes you get lucky and win during a bad week and sometimes you lose during a great week. It will even out by the end of the year. If you dont want to play head to head then dont.

So you think modifiying H2H to eliminate much of the luck factor and instead focus on who actually puts out the best team is a bad idea? Gotcha.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 am 

RFDC wrote:
shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:

My bad. I forgot you only post stuff like this because you want people to agree with you and stroke your ego.

Your idea sucks.

No, I'm trying to come down off the mountain top and offer pearls of wisdom that will make life better for you simpletons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Might as well just go roto. In this format, the 1 point for a win is still just based off the luck of who you are playing that week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Might as well just go roto. In this format, the 1 point for a win is still just based off the luck of who you are playing that week.

yes, but the luck in greatly minimized while at the same time allowing leagues to remain in the much more fun H2H format as opposed to straight roto.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am 

You can take the word "point" out of the standings. You want a team to get 1/2 of a win for scoring more points than other teams in the league, even if they lose their game.

Again, dumb idea. This makes fractional points and giving a player a point for catching a screen pass look brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm 

spanky wrote:
You can take the word "point" out of the standings. You want a team to get 1/2 of a win for scoring more points than other teams in the league, even if they lose their game.

Yes, that's exactly what I want. You get half a win for winning your game and then another half if you got that win by earning it as opposed to being lucky and getting a good matchup that you had no control over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 pm 

So losing a high scoring game is equal in the standings to winning a low scoring game, because each is essentially a "half win".

Got it.

Bad. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:04 pm 

shakes wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

So you think modifiying H2H to eliminate much of the luck factor and instead focus on who actually puts out the best team is a bad idea? Gotcha.

In your system a team could have a losing W/L record but still have more 'wins' than a team that won more H2H matches. Again, why not just play roto. You are diminshing winning games.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:28 pm 

Either way, shakes got beaten so badly in this thread he's still in last place in the standings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i actually dont think it is a horrible idea - though i think the total points is weighted too heavily in your example. wins and losses should dominate, but offering small bonuses for total points seems like an interesting take. 1 pt for the win with perhaps half a point for the high point man or the top 3 or 4 scoring teams.

im not hurrying off to do it my leagues but i dont think it is a totally shit idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:46 pm 

MoFo, let me set you straight:

1 point for winning the stage and 1 point for losing the stage but being in the front half of the peloton.

See how bad that is? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
This idea looks like something the Government would put together to "improve" fantasy football. Not good.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
spanky wrote:
MoFo, let me set you straight:

1 point for winning the stage and 1 point for losing the stage but being in the front half of the peloton.

See how bad that is? :lol:

i said that the wins should be the dominant factor, but i dont think it is a terrible idea to award minor bonuses for team high scoring. and equal balance for winning outright and points scored is too much. a 1:1 ratio is too much and is a bad idea. in the leagues i run it is strictly H2H wins and thats how they will stay but the idea isn't that radical.

how were you setting me straight again?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hey guys, I have a great idea for an auction league.

We will just draft our players like normal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:

Fuck me, I set up an auction league like that last year and for some reason it just turned out to be a normal league. Everyone was like WTF stupid. I couldn't blame them really.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:32 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

Fuck me, I set up an auction league like that last year and for some reason it just turned out to be a normal league. Everyone was like WTF stupid. I couldn't blame them really.

I once read a great book about serial killers written by a famous FBI profiler, I think it was called Whoever Fights Monsters. One of the cases he studied involved a killer who ransacked the house after the murder was committed. Everyone thought this one guy did it, but the profiler knew that the killer was not that guy and in fact was a woman because the killer had spray painted "fuck me" on the wall rather than "fuck you". The profiler said that only a woman would write "fuck me" as opposed to a man, who would write "fuck you" instead. Just saying...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm 

shakes wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

I once read a great book about serial killers written by a famous FBI profiler, I think it was called Whoever Fights Monsters. One of the cases he studied involved a killer who ransacked the house after the murder was committed. Everyone thought this one guy did it, but the profiler knew that the killer was not that guy and in fact was a woman because the killer had spray painted "fuck me" on the wall rather than "fuck you". The profiler said that only a woman would write "fuck me" as opposed to a man, who would write "fuck you" instead. Just saying...

OK...so FUCK YOU too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:
anyone who doesn't recognize what a brilliant idea this is is an idiot.

:lol:

This is the most shakes-iest post you have ever made.

To rock my soul