It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yahoo baseball pitching
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am new to roto baseball and am trying a Yahoo public standard league. Can someone explain to me how the pitching works? You just plan them on a weekly basis? I imagine there is no way to make sure you have a starter going everyday? Probably a dumb question.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:42 am 

pittmike wrote:
I am new to roto baseball and am trying a Yahoo public standard league. Can someone explain to me how the pitching works? You just plan them on a weekly basis? I imagine there is no way to make sure you have a starter going everyday? Probably a dumb question.

Depends if your league is weekly or daily changes.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Yahoo denotes starters with a sign. You can click on "Probable Pitchers" and get a list of starters for the next day any day. There's usually restrictions on how many innings your pitchers can throw per week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
alrighty pittmike check it out here we'll do this once
]

the up carrot thingy next to a (starting) pitcher's name means that he's starting today. barring some sort of a dave dravecky situation during warmups, that is the case. typically you wanna flank your RP/P slots with as many closers/pimp-relievers as you can get, as it's always a good idea to get out to a lead in saves and deal from a position of strength instead of freaking the fuck out cuz some asshat, you know, "that guy" with a cellphone/app and less of a life than you is on top of every bit of baseball news, especially closer/callup related stuff.

in the roto format there's an innings limit of 1400 in standard leagues, so you wanna be mindful of that. typically figure you're gonna roll with ~5-6 starters at a time, but if you're having a good run early and able to jump out to ~600-700 innings of like 2.94/1.13 or something, again, you can deal from a position of strength. ideally i like to do that with pitching since a solid % of them fall off as the year go on, i mean, i used to make a bounty in random public leagues moving dan haren by the all-star break before his annual pilgrimage towards a 4.00 ERA left him in the low 3s. sometimes pitchers become effective late, or sometimes an asshole like mat latos sucks to high hell in april, breaks out ~april 30th/may 1st vs the giants, and then goes on a run of 20 consecutive starts with 2ER or less. you want that. so try to be mindful of box scores and whatnot... take chances on kids... roll the dice, but try to be somewhat tyrannical and don't start tolerating failure that much otherwise you're gonna have a 3.75+ ERA. typically i refuse to accept that under any circumstances and i typically end up 3.40 or less unless someone goes ricky romero on me last year. goddammit.

obviously you can look ahead at days and see who's starting and why... under the players tab if you're hard up for starting pitching (H2H format only) there's a P (probable) category to see who's available and starting.... and uhmmmm viva matt moore and jeremy hellickson. vaya con dios, senor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 am 

Thanks Sini. Seems pretty easy to play with. I couldn't find it easily in the rules about the daily pitching idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Everything what Sini said, except the whole "paying for saves" part. Don't do that. Trust me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 pm 

Geez my team sucks.