It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helldivers 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Anyone playing this? Seems like one of the hottest games out there right now, and it's only on Playstation and PC.

Basically Starship Troopers and Warhammer 40K: Darktide, players control human "Helldivers" as you fight a galactic meta-war against, as of now, two different enemy factions.

No PvP (though friendly fire is on), you, or hopefully you and a few friends, drop onto the surfaces of planets to either defend them from invasion by one of the factions, or liberate them from faction control, and mission types on the smaller procedurally-generated (I think) maps vary based on whether the planet is fending off the enemy or being liberated from it's control.

Sadly the game has been beset by bugginess on PC (it's a PlayStation port after all) and continuing server issues causing huge login wait times, disconnects, and player caps (over the weekend it was at 450K, and to put that in perspective just now there were ~400K players on Steam alone trying to play).

Hope the dev gets it sorted and starts producing endgame content, but it's an interesting premise set in a fun world(s).

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's also only $40. Yes, there is a premium battle pass deal for another $20, but in a world where some games start at $79.99 for the Standard Edition, this pricing feels about right for what you're ultimately getting.

Post subject: Re: Helldivers 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
getting good reviews, but it's meant for co-op, not single player which is a deal breaker for me.

You can play it in single player, but the game doesn't scale for that so you gotta fight the same amount of enemies as you would in co-op.

Post subject: Re: Helldivers 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
shakes wrote:
getting good reviews, but it's meant for co-op, not single player which is a deal breaker for me.

You can play it in single player, but the game doesn't scale for that so you gotta fight the same amount of enemies as you would in co-op.

Yeah I've noticed the challenge of playing solo vs. with even one other on the same difficulties, but didn't know they didn't scale the enemy count at all. I still enjoy the challenge and the way any mission can go down in a multitude of ways with a multitude of weapons/strikes.

There's certainly some tuning needing to be done to some aspects of the game, and now that the server situation has somewhat stabilized maybe they can begin to contemplate rebalancing, especially for solos.