It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splinter Cell Conviction
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I watched the IGN review and gameplay looks much more solid than I anticipated. Of course, its just Jack Bauer on steroids, but I like what they are saying about the increased pace... not just waiting for AI to wander to a certain point. I wasn't so sure before, but I'm gonna pick it up now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UryXpuxy0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm 

I know exactly what you are saying. Perhaps I am going into this expecting very little from the story. I was thinking this was going to be a little meh, but the review kinda makes me think the gameplay is a lot better than I originally thought. The guy on the IGN review said this is heads and tails the best "cover system" he has ever played. I want to see if that is true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 am 

Played a bit last night. I'm having a great time with it. I never played any of the others. The plot is Jack-Bauer-ish... if you don't like that, then stay away. I love the game play. The stealth mechanics are great, but its not like if you get seen then you have to start over like with some stealth mechanics. You can fight your way out most of the time. The takedown graphics are pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I'm thinking about trading in my Halo ODST and a few other games for this...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:37 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
I'm thinking about trading in my Halo ODST

You said that in another thread and I never got a response...the Reach beta doesn't do anything for you, huh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:55 pm 

If you wait to sell ODST, you might not get enough value with the trade in. Used is still selling on ebay for over $30. That's a pretty good one to consider for a trade in. I try to sell my games quick for that reason... or at least the ones that I think I'm not gonna play that much going forward. If I reaaaaaallly want to play it again, I can rent it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

You said that in another thread and I never got a response...the Reach beta doesn't do anything for you, huh?

I guess I don't really like the Sci Fi shooters so much. Had no idea until I bought the game. I like a little more realism. Thae laser weapons don't really do it for me...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:01 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

I guess I don't really like the Sci Fi shooters so much. Had no idea until I bought the game. I like a little more realism. Thae laser weapons don't really do it for me...

Well shit...sorry about that...if I had known, I wouldn't have recommended either one...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

Well shit...sorry about that...if I had known, I wouldn't have recommended either one...

No, it's not your fault. I had no idea till I started playing it. The funny thing is, I really liked Halo back in the day on Xbox.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:18 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
The funny thing is, I really liked Halo back in the day on Xbox.

Interesting...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:57 am 

There is alot of similarities between this game and Batman: Arkham Asylum. If you want to just blast your way through a level like a normal FPS, you will miss the fun. Pulling your trigger less is the goal. Patience, positioning, and understanding your escape route is pretty important. The game finds a nice balance between stealth and shootin'.

The biggest pleasant surprise is the co-op. The co-op is a different story line (kinda interesting, but not particularly good), and has very fun gameplay. You have to work closely with your teammate which means talking a bunch. If your teammate dies, game over, man.

The story is kinda crap. Since I never played any of the old Splinter Cell games, I think I am missing a lot of the subtle story plots. They try to catch you up, but never was I once emotionally connected to any of the story lines. And those story lines are pretty cliche Jack Bauer bullshiznit.

I'm glad I purchased it and will likely have some more fun playing co-op. But after a couple months, I will need to find a nice home for it other than in my cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:14 pm 

Splinter Cell: Conviction for $30

Splinter Cell: Conviction is on sale right now for $39.99 at K-Mart through April 26th.
http://blogs.mykmart.com/2010/04/video-game-capsule-review-splinter-cell-conviction-special-offer.html#tp

Use this coupon and get it for $30.
http://dealofday.com/wp-content/uplo.../KM_Coupon.pdf

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 am 

after all is said in done... I'm not sure this is a full price buy. I played it through twice and I think that will be the last time I play through. Good time, but not a keeper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Just finished this. Mostly, this game was a lot of fun. Cant say that about every game now. Reminds me of old NES games that you can play through a lot of times, and try different things out each play through