It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Now and Then
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Here's something I have been contemplating for a little while regarding my video game experience now and what it was growing up.

I am still convinced that video games were better years ago than they are now, at least in terms of anticipation for new titles.

Yes, the graphics/stories/gameplay in today's titles are far better in regard to technology, but I just don't seem to be as excited about a new game release now at 27 years old in comparison to 10-year old Ugie.

Post subject: Re: Now and Then
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:11 pm 

I was more excited about your posts two years ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

Douchebag wrote:
I was more excited about your posts two years ago.

:lol: :lol:

I knew it wouldn't take long.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I'm the opposite...back then there weren't many games that I really looked forward to playing...it was mostly play something at a friends house and if it was good go out and rent/buy it. The only way I ever heard about future titles was Gamepro, and the only game that I ever got excited by just reading about it was Mortal Kombat 3...now with shows like E3, GDC and PAX, studios are making big budget trailers just to announce new titles...those do a far better job of getting me excited than an article in a magazine.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Here's something I have been contemplating for a little while regarding my video game experience now and what it was growing up.

I am still convinced that video games were better years ago than they are now, at least in terms of anticipation for new titles.

Yes, the graphics/stories/gameplay in today's titles are far better in regard to technology, but I just don't seem to be as excited about a new game release now at 27 years old in comparison to 10-year old Ugie.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
The true golden age of video games was from the NES era-the Playstation 2/Gamecube era. In that timeline we got:

Super Mario Bros.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Phantasy Star series
Final Fantasy series
God of War
Madden
NBA Jam
Contra
Castlevania
Ninja Gaiden
Capcom's Disney games
Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior series
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
THQ wrestling games (WCW and WWF/E)
Devil May Cry

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The excitement part, maybe, but it certainly doesn't equate to better video games. Then again, the excitement in seeing a game at a friend's house and then the anticipation of getting it yourself was also pretty high back then. Now that I think about it, just seeing a NES game on the shelf of a Toys R Us and not knowing anything about the game other than what was on the cover and the back was just as exciting as some of these overblown extravaganzas companies cook up now.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:29 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
The true golden age of video games was from the NES era-the Playstation 2/Gamecube era. In that timeline we got:

That's a pretty big era, Colonel...four generations of consoles...

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:39 pm 

I will say this...if anybody knew how to hype a game 15 years ago, it was Nintendo...I remember getting that cheesy tape where three gamers were invited to Nintedo to preview the "ULTRA 64" and they watched Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and The Shadow of the Empire...that really got me excited for what would become the N64...

...if I had to pick one generation as the golden age, that was it...Mario 64, Zelda 64, Goldeneye...pure awesome.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:03 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:

well part of that has to do with just growing up and being an adult than being a wide-eyed kid. i haven't been excited about a video game release since probably "halo 2".

i've said this on here before; but really, games have this cardboard cut out look now it seems. many of the first person games all look the same and have these extremely convoluted storylines that aren't necessary and long cut scenes that are sometimes painful to watch. there's not a lot of innovation with gameplay and that's been my biggest problem.

yeah the golden age of video games i believe is '86-'97 roughly. Anyway that was my time being hard core into gaming. I had a renaissance in '00-'03 when I was heavily into "The Sims", "Empire Earth", "Madden", "NBA2K", "Halo", and "Civ III". But now, I'm only a part timer.

But I am thinking of picking up FIFA World Cup '10.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:09 pm 

W_Z wrote:
extremely convoluted storylines.

paging Mr. Kojima...

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
For those w/ a 360 ... have you had any interest in the "Game Room" series of releases? I've found I'm at an odd breakpoint of age and skill in that I'm old enough to remember being enchanted with and loving to play these games in their prime :) , but also old enough to not play them nearly as well anymore :( .

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Don Tiny wrote:
For those w/ a 360 ... have you had any interest in the "Game Room" series of releases? I've found I'm at an odd breakpoint of age and skill in that I'm old enough to remember being enchanted with and loving to play these games in their prime :) , but also old enough to not play them nearly as well anymore :( .

I just downloaded a few packs for Game room, and I'm really not impressed.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
lipidquadcab wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

That's a pretty big era, Colonel...four generations of consoles...

I didn't say it was one era. I understand it was four, but that was some great gaming. Good times...