It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arcades
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Man, what the fuck has happened to these...went to see a movie tonight and was about thirty minutes early so I was hoping to play some games...but the fucking arcade was full of giant claw games, dance dance revolution, and driving games that appeared to be from the nineties...seriously, I wouldn't be suprised if they had Daytona USA or Hard Drivin' in that fucker...

...for shame.

Post subject: Re: Arcades
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Haven't seen a good arcade in years ...... being a pinball aficionado, I find the lack of arcades is to be a real pisser.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:21 pm 

Ground Kontrol in Portland. arcade with a bar. first floor - games spanning from the 80's to 90's including "Mortal Kombat II", "StreetFighter II: Champion Edition", "Double Dragon", "TMNT", "X-Men", "Pac-Man", etc.

Second floor. All pinball.

Best part is that it's all quarters. And just about every game only costs a quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I love a good pinball game as well. Very hard to find any anywhere. What kind of games do they have at Dave and Busters?
Then if you do find a game you want to play nine times out of ten it is broken.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Don Tiny wrote:
Haven't seen a good arcade in years ...... being a pinball aficionado, I find the lack of arcades is to be a real pisser.

Donald, given your relative age, were you a fan of Eight Ball Deluxe? Back at the bowling alley in Kankakee, I could play all night on less than a dollar on that machine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
W_Z wrote:
Ground Kontrol in Portland. arcade with a bar. first floor - games spanning from the 80's to 90's including "Mortal Kombat II", "StreetFighter II: Champion Edition", "Double Dragon", "TMNT", "X-Men", "Pac-Man", etc.

Second floor. All pinball.

Best part is that it's all quarters. And just about every game only costs a quarter.

Maine or Oregon? We all need to do a road trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:03 pm 

oregon.

speaking of oregon, how great was "The Oregon Trail"?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:09 pm 

Oregon Trail was awesome. In grade school on Fridays in computer lab we got to play games. They had Oregon Trail, Gauntlet, Penguin, Paper Boy, a text football game amongst others. Good times.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I used to play the hell out of the football game in computer lab.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:47 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Donald, given your relative age, were you a fan of Eight Ball Deluxe? Back at the bowling alley in Kankakee, I could play all night on less than a dollar on that machine.

I know it well ..... dumb story: here in Mayberry way back in the mid-70s, as a young lad I developed an eye for pinball at around age 4 ... the local pizza joint at the time (George's Pizza ... long, long gone) had one of the poker-related machines (I have tried forever to research and verify but I can't come to a conclusion) and a shooting game called "Jungle Drums". I really don't know why, but if and when we were there and somebody would fire-up the Jungle Drums machine, I would lose my little-kid shit as though a fleet of dragons were flying in to rape us all.

PinMAME used to help satisfy the need, but it apparently doesn't work anymore and nobody seems to want to fix it ... dicks.

If I ever find my life and/or income, I'd love to have some older machines - not that I don't like modern ones (e.g., the king of all pinball, Addams Family), but the older ones have a charm the newer ones can't match. Match, someone say match? Did I get a free game?!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Haunted Trails and there was an arcade somewhere in Lyons maybe on Ogden...Always great places to pick up guys. I miss arcade days too.

We always had to write turtle progams to do something. I hated computers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Donald, do you remember the Evie Knievel pinball machine? That was the first one I was a wizard on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:02 pm 

Enchanted Castle had a great arcade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:07 pm 

It's mostly kids stuff now. The tivoli bowl in downers grove has a couple pinball machines and a hockey table, but really that's the only place I can think of that still has that stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:
Haunted Trails and there was an arcade somewhere in Lyons maybe on Ogden...Always great places to pick up guys. I miss arcade days too.

We always had to write turtle progams to do something. I hated computers.

:shock:

Did you go to R-B Spaulding?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 pm 

Nah, I just got around.

I knew a couple people from RB and one of my friends lived in Riverside. I don't think we'd know anybody, I think I'm significantly younger than you are. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Colonel Angus wrote:
Oregon Trail was awesome.

Was?

Are you implying that it still isn't?

:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:06 pm 

I posted this link for DS awhile ago, but it seems to be topical in this thread as well .....

http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html

The site is also good for any other apple game you may remember from the 80s .... and, if you had a Commodore (like myself), the games are essentially the same (i.e., Impossible Mission, Spy vs. Spy, Skate or Die, etc.).

As far as Evel, I'm sure I played it on PinMAME, but I don't know that I've seen one live and in person.

Notable "halfway" machines (not all mechanical, but not all digital) are Black Knight & Black Knight 2000 (the latter of which is the best of that ilk), and if you ever get a chance, take a look at the Space Invaders machine .... I just remember seeing it a long time ago as a kid and thinking the kid equivalent of WTF?!?!? .... really huge/wide table, three rows of flippers, lots of synch'ed lights, and (for the time) a hell of a lot of sound w/ thump to go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I beat Keefer at a game of a No Fear once.