It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:
got to the first town you visit, shaved.

Then got a side quest. I read a tip that the white question mark side quests can disappear if you don't do them soon so I jumped on that right away. Got the side quest with the writer who wants you to track down some legendary gun fighters and take their picture.

The menu's are pretty confusing so far. There's no simple menu where you can look up the different controls for the game. You can find them buried in some menu, but they're all bunched together and it's not easy to find the command you are looking for. I wish they had a move list like Spider-Man and GOW.

You have to pay close attention to the top left hints...because it pops up usually during important story dialogue, and then it is gone forever. I definitely had to Google 'how to do x' a few times.

yea those hints pop up and them disappear pretty quickly. I think you can find the hints in the menu, but they are laid out so haphazardly that you pretty much have to scroll through in order to find what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
At what point am I supposed to feed my horse?

Inside the health and stamina circles for your horse (right-most above the mini map) you'll see a little heart in one and a lightning bolt in the other. Those should be filled solid white, if they are not, your horse needs food and will lose health and stamina at an increased rate.

I wasn't far enough along yet.

I gave him some oatmeal cakes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:
got to the first town you visit, shaved.

Then got a side quest. I read a tip that the white question mark side quests can disappear if you don't do them soon so I jumped on that right away. Got the side quest with the writer who wants you to track down some legendary gun fighters and take their picture.

The menu's are pretty confusing so far. There's no simple menu where you can look up the different controls for the game. You can find them buried in some menu, but they're all bunched together and it's not easy to find the command you are looking for. I wish they had a move list like Spider-Man and GOW.

You have to pay close attention to the top left hints...because it pops up usually during important story dialogue, and then it is gone forever. I definitely had to Google 'how to do x' a few times.

yea those hints pop up and them disappear pretty quickly. I think you can find the hints in the menu, but they are laid out so haphazardly that you pretty much have to scroll through in order to find what you're looking for.

The "Help" menu is incredibly deep and, from what I've seen, contains all those fleeting little pop-ups from in-game. Apparently I had the "tag" ability in Dead Eye for awhile but had no idea how to use it until I scrolled through that menu.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 am 

Also, this is one of those games that, if you plan on playing it for a long while, it might be worth the extra $25 to pick up the full strategy guide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Also, this is one of those games that, if you plan on playing it for a long while, it might be worth the extra $25 to pick up the full strategy guide.

Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Still messing around with the first camp missions.
Decided to stay back and go after the legendary bear with my revolver and a bow and arrow.

I mean, they really show the bear eating your face. It's pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The controls aren’t great. Maybe they’re still designed well or maybe they’re not, but there’s too many choices of things to input that work okay when you have time, but in actual gunfights and other quick reaction settings it unravels.

My go to game hunting move on horseback seems to be an arrow shot that knocks them over and then I trample them before they get up again. Still rocking the legendary bear hat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm 

I'm gonna be at the camp for a while I think. Didn't have much time to play yesterday, only accomplished getting in a big saloon brawl. The fighting mechanics really suck.

Also, lost my hat very early on and didn't realize it. Now I don't have a hat. Found a hat on the ground and am rocking that instead, but apparently I can't save that hat? Whatever, I'm going to test the realism of this game and see if I can die from heat stroke.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:54 pm 

shakes wrote:
I'm gonna be at the camp for a while I think. Didn't have much time to play yesterday, only accomplished getting in a big saloon brawl. The fighting mechanics really suck.

Also, lost my hat very early on and didn't realize it. Now I don't have a hat. Found a hat on the ground and am rocking that instead, but apparently I can't save that hat? Whatever, I'm going to test the realism of this game and see if I can die from heat stroke.

We have very similar experiences. I also just completed the bar fight, and the fighting mechanics are awful. I wouldn't have won the fight if my guy hadn't had the chin of Rocky. I also keep losing my hat. And I lost my legendary bear, which I had stowed on my horse, because some O'Driscolls came up and started talking shit, so I offed them and then got killed by the cops. I woke up with no bear.

Overall, I still like the game, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 pm 

Is anyone storing stuff somewhere? I don't see anywhere in the camp where you can store animals or anything. Anytime I just try to drop something next to my bed, I magically appear outside the camp and have to place the item on the ground there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:07 pm 

If you had the bear pelt and died, magically the Trapper now has it. You lose out on selling it, but you can still buy the equipment from him that requires the Legendary pelt to make.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:10 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
If you had the bear pelt and died, magically the Trapper now has it. You lose out on selling it, but you can still buy the equipment from him that requires the Legendary pelt to make.

Which trapper did you go to? Did you wait until you left the first camp?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm 

The only trapper I know so far is the one sorta near where the bear was, NE of your camp. I’m still in the Chapter 2 camp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
The only trapper I know so far is the one sorta near where the bear was, NE of your camp. I’m still in the Chapter 2 camp.

That's what I meant. I'm in chapter 2 camp also. I'll go wander around up there. It sucks losing out on the money, but I'm guessing as you get farther in, 60 bucks isn't a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:47 pm 

IMU wrote:

Nerd

It's been excellent bathroom reading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:50 pm 

There's a gold bar in a desk drawer in one of the burned out buildings by the first camp location, SW, I think.

$500 when sold at a fence, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:51 pm 

shakes wrote:

When you're on your horse, you can go to the item wheel and in the bottom right section there will be all your stored/saved hats.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:52 pm 

There’s gold in them thar hills.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:54 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
The controls aren’t great. Maybe they’re still designed well or maybe they’re not, but there’s too many choices of things to input that work okay when you have time, but in actual gunfights and other quick reaction settings it unravels.

My go to game hunting move on horseback seems to be an arrow shot that knocks them over and then I trample them before they get up again. Still rocking the legendary bear hat.

Try DeadEye, it's a great way to not ruin pelts with misplaced shots. Also something I didn't know is that the "study" feature when looking at an animal will tell you what quality of pelt you'll get should you kill them with a single shot, you can even use your binoculars to focus on an animal far away and "study" them from there if you have a sniper rifle. What's more, at some point your DeadEye gets upgraded so that when looking at game animals while in DE, one-hit-kill spots are shown in red on the animal's body.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:54 pm 

shakes wrote:

When you're on your horse, you can go to the item wheel and in the bottom right section there will be all your stored/saved hats.

Ahhh...

Are you using fast travel yet, JLN? I guess you can get it by upgrading Dutch's tent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:

Ahhh...

Are you using fast travel yet, JLN? I guess you can get it by upgrading Dutch's tent.

No haven't used it yet, I love riding through the different areas and seeing all the encounters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:10 pm 

Wish they reversed how fast travel worked. Would much rather fast travel back to camp after having to ride out somewhere, rather than fast traveling from camp to a location and then having to ride back. I’m sure they did it so you couldn’t just safely fast travel back after getting that special pelt or big score, but it’s still annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:10 am 

Here was my adventure last night. Went out to find Black Belle and get her photo. On the way I decided I needed a hat. Saw a guy on a horse outside of town wearing a nice bowler hat. Shot him off his horse and took the hat. Then there was a witness so killed him too. Then another witness got to town and tattled on me. Then I get destroyed by a bunch of lawmen. Second try. Riding along on my horse and come around a corner and get into a head on collision with another horse. Both horses dead. So now my saddle with all my crap in it is just sitting in the middle of the road. I carry it for a while, but that's boring so I drop it. Walk all the way to Black Belle's and complete that mission with only my revolver. Saddle still sitting somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Called it a night and watched basketball.

Today I'll go back in and make the long walk back to camp and go to the stable where I believe you can send someone to get your saddle.

How do I get rid of the stuff in my saddle? Should I be selling stuff somewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Donate Perfect pelts to camp.
Sell Good and Poor pelts at the Butcher.
Donate / Sell meat depending on your needs...keep some for cooking
Donate / Sell animal components like horns depending on your needs
Sell stolen or confiscated items like jewelry at a Fence
I've not met a Trapper yet but I think he can use legendary animal pelts to create unique gear.

This is the second time you've had a hat issue. You will always have a hat on your horse, even if you "lose" it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
Is anyone storing stuff somewhere? I don't see anywhere in the camp where you can store animals or anything. Anytime I just try to drop something next to my bed, I magically appear outside the camp and have to place the item on the ground there.

You must donate the animal to the cook (Pearson?) Then you can use that pelt to craft items. However, in order to craft items, you must purchase the leather tools from the camp ledger.

"It's called the American dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:22 am 

My saga to find a good hat continued last night with predictable results.

Also went for a walk and heard some lady crying for help. Went to investigate and asked her if she needed help and then all of the sudden 3 guys appear standing next to me and stab me to death. WTF. How are you supposed to prevent that? They were on me before I even knew they were there.

The lack of a guide for the controls is really frustrating. I died 8-10x just trying to read the instructions on how to do a dual. And for some reason the dual controls aren't listed anywhere in the help section. And I still have no idea how to do a dual cause the controls on the screen are incomplete. It says to lightly press on R2 which will give you more time to aim. That's it, that's the extent of the instructions. So I lightly press R2, a meter fills up and then I get shot repeatedly. No idea what I'm supposed to do when the meter fills up or if I"m even supposed to let it fill up. I eventually button mashed my way into a victory without any real idea as to what I did.

Also how do you put your horse in cruise control? I'm gonna get carpel tunnel if I have to keep holding the x button down to keep the speed up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 am 

Switching to panoramic view with a waypoint puts you on autopilot BUT it doesn’t automatically take you out of it if something attacks you. So if you leave and get a drink you could come back and be eaten by cougar or killed by some gang.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:48 am 

I found my hat! Thanks IMU!

Success.

The wanted system is pretty strict. I'm trying to play as a bad guy/serial killer type and it's rough. can't do anything without attracting a busload of witnesses. And the bounty hunters kick my ass every time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:53 am 

It’s another system that probably doesn’t work the way you think it should. You can fool witnesses with different clothes and wearing a mask, but law enforcement will always recognize you. no matter what.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next