PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Grand Theft Auto III
The Legend of Zelda
The Sims
Space Invaders
The Oregon Trail
Sonic the Hedgehog

http://www.museumofplay.org/press/releases/2016/05/2688-2016-world-video-game-hall-fame-inductees-announced

ROCHESTER, New York—The games in the second class of The Strong’s World Video Gamed Hall of Fame® span multiple decades, countries of origin, and gaming platforms, but all have significantly affected the video game industry, popular culture, and society in general. Grand Theft Auto III, The Legend of Zelda, The Oregon Trail, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Space Invaders have been selected from a field of 15 finalists that also included Elite, Final Fantasy, John Madden Football, Minecraft, Nürburgring, Pokémon Red and Green, Sid Meier’s Civilization, Street Fighter II, and Tomb Raider.

About Grand Theft Auto III: Developed in Great Britain and released in 2001, Grand Theft Auto III was the first 3-D open-ended, “sandbox-style” game to achieve massive mainstream popularity and widespread critical acclaim. The third standalone title in the franchise sold 14.5 million copies by 2008, becoming the first breakout hit in a series that sold more than 220 million units as of 2015. “By providing players with a license to do virtually anything they wanted to do on foot or behind the wheel, Grand Theft Auto III renewed debates about the role of games and violence in society while it signaled video games aren’t just for kids,” says Jeremy Saucier, assistant director of The Strong’s International Center for the History of Electronic Games. “And the game’s unlimited play possibilities became a model for many other open-world games that followed.”

About The Legend of Zelda: Inspired by creator Shigeru Miyamoto’s childhood expeditions through woods and caves, The Legend of Zelda (1986) popularized non-linear exploration games and paved the way for some of the industry’s most famous role-playing and action-adventure games. The United States release of The Legend of Zelda was also the first console game in the North American market to include an internal battery for backing up saved data. It sold more than 6.5 million copies and became the fifth best-selling NES game of all time, behind only the first Super Mario Bros. games. Says The Strong’s Associate Curator Shannon Symonds, “The Legend of Zelda became one of the most iconic titles of the 1980s and a staple of popular culture with its sequels, spin-offs, comic books, and a television series.”

About The Oregon Trail: Three student teachers created The Oregon Trail in 1971 to help Minnesota schoolchildren learn American history. First programmed on a primitive teletype printer, the game challenged students to assume the role of Western settlers crossing the continent on the way to the Pacific coast. In the 1970s and 1980s, when computing access was rare, The Oregon Trail not only instructed players in American history but also introduced many of them to computers. More than 65 million copies of the game have been sold. “The Oregon Trail is perhaps the oldest continuously available video game ever made, but more importantly, it pioneered a blend of learning and play that showcases the valuable contribution games can make to education,” says Jon-Paul Dyson, director of The Strong’s International Center for the History of Electronic Games.

About The Sims: Released in 2000, designer Will Wright’s virtual dollhouse game, The Sims, pushed the boundaries of what a video game could be by allowing players flexibility to tell stories in an open-ended environment. Wright described it more as a toy than a game, a digital dollhouse that served as the setting for endless domestic dramas. With nearly 200 million sales in 60 countries and more than 20 languages, The Sims is the best-selling PC game franchise ever. “The game has had universal appeal, with female players outnumbering males, and adults as passionate about the game as children,” says Dyson. “And by turning the computer into a toy to explore the complexity of the human experience, The Sims radically expanded the notion of what a game could be.”

About Sonic the Hedgehog: To develop a rival to Nintendo’s character Mario, Sega hosted an in-house design contest that produced Sonic, a new hedgehog mascot with a brash, in-your-face attitude. After its launch in 1991, Sonic the Hedgehog’s lightning-fast game play gave Sega a popular title in the 1990s console wars. With more than 15 million copies sold, Sonic the Hedgehog remains the best-selling Sega Genesis game of all time; the entire Sonic franchise has 350 million sales or downloads. Says Symonds, “The game spawned more than 20 additional games and spin-offs, as well as a television show and comic book. Sonic was even introduced as the first video game-inspired balloon in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, making Sega’s mascot recognizable to millions of people worldwide who may have never even played the game.”

About Space Invaders: Designed by Tomohiro Nishikado and released in Japan in 1978, the arcade game Space Invaders challenged players to zap an ongoing onslaught of aliens. The game included a “high score” at the top of the screen, and this popular feature soon became a standard element of arcade games. Space Invaders was also the first Japanese game to use a microprocessor. In 1980, Space Invaders entered the home console market and became the Atari 2600’s most popular game. “Although a handful of shooter games preceded Space Invaders, its runaway success, innovative features, compelling graphics, and elemental themes captured the public imagination, spurring many imitators and a craze for arcade games” says Saucier.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Video Game HOF Ceremony wrote:
The creators of the Oregon Trail could not be here tonight to accept this honor as they took the wrong path on the way here and all died of dysentery.

We accept this honor in their memory

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
All good choices. No brainers, really.

About GTA 3. If you go back and play that game, it's a pile of shit compared to what they did with Vice City and San Andreas afterwards. It belongs in there though for it's innovation. When it first came out, everyone was blown away by it.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Is there a 'Console Game" category? 8 bit section? etc...need some criteria!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Space Invaders was the king to kick it all off in my life. Then the growth very quickly to Asteroids, Defender and beyond was very fast.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:24 am 

bigfan wrote:
Is there a 'Console Game" category? 8 bit section? etc...need some criteria!

It's video games of all stripes ... arcade, consoles, pc ... since most games at some point end up on multiple platforms, there's really no good reason to segment them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Oregon Trail game was great. Although lesser known the "Lemonade Stand" game was another popular computer game for Macintosh computers.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
No arguing with these inductees.

I would say both the Legend of Zelda and GTA III were mind blowing and genre changing for anyone who was lucky enough to experience them in the times they were released. And not only were they great, but the respective franchises only got better as they went along. That may seem like a no-brainer, but how often is greatness improved upon?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:49 pm 

I'm very sure I've never played one second of anything Zelda. Not proud, probably my loss, just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Don Tiny wrote:
I'm very sure I've never played one second of anything Zelda. Not proud, probably my loss, just sayin'.

I might hate you a little after reading that.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:18 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

What were your NES days filled with?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
If this does not bring OKC back nothing will

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:23 pm 

NES faves:
Contra
Zelda
Double Dribble
Tecmo Bowl
Duck Hunt
Debbie Does Dallas

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:31 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
NES faves:
Contra
Zelda
Double Dribble
Tecmo Bowl
Duck Hunt
Debbie Does Dallas

Finished them all. Though that last entry took me a while to get to the end what with all the starting and stopping.

Another NES classic for me was Bionic Commando. I loved that game. I've still got to get around to playing the remake.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:00 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Tyson, Mario, Metroid, Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, Bases Loaded II (the one with the player 'biorhythms' concept) ... about that time though I got a PC, so I monkeyed around on that ... the original Sim City, and then I found Civilization and that game just chewed through time ... rpg's were played on PC (like Bard's Tale), not on NES.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:09 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 pm 

I believe I just got the goodbye look

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:16 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

Well, la tee fuckin' dah, Mr. Outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

"And I quote.... That Roman Crane is one crooked son of a bitch."

One of my all time favorite lines from Akroyd.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:37 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
I believe I just got the goodbye look

Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze, Gretchen?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:37 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Tyson, Mario, Metroid, Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, Bases Loaded II (the one with the player 'biorhythms' concept) ... about that time though I got a PC, so I monkeyed around on that ... the original Sim City, and then I found Civilization and that game just chewed through time ... rpg's were played on PC (like Bard's Tale), not on NES.

Tyson was a must play as was Bases Loaded and the often forgotten Baseball Stars.

I was super into Nintendo Ice Hockey (3 types of players to choose from) but was blown away when I found out you got drop the gloves in Blades of Steel. And Double Dribble, wow, young me couldn't figure out why the teams had different names than their NBA counterparts. I mean the Chicago Cows? Who are they trying to crap?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:59 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

Isn't it la dee da? Alliteration matters.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Furious Styles wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:04 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Playing outdoors.

Isn't it la dee da? Alliteration matters.

I play by my own rules.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:20 pm 

Well, la dee fuckin' da!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:21 pm 

What a conformist.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:35 pm 

One is phonetically pleasing, the other is burrito as fuck.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:36 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
What a conformist.

How the hell do you know how flexible he is?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:44 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
What a conformist.

How the hell do you know how flexible he is?

I fucked him.