It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of the people here in familiar with the industry can give me some advice.

This is regarding my firm's website. We have a company that hosts it and does internet optimization for us. Last month we decided to stop doing internet optimization. We pay $1700 per month and haven't gotten a case from it for at least 6 months. Overall, we've averaged about 6 new cases per year from the internet over the past few years. Most of those cases are disputed cases. And we've also noticed that most of the clients we get off the internet are very difficult people to deal with.

On the flipside, we've been getting lots of cases lately from our usual source of cases, word of mouth from our existing client base. Enough that we decided we don't need the 6 crappy cases per year from the internet.

So we called our web guy and cancelled the optimization. But, we still need someone to run our website. He said he would do it for $550 per month. We said that seems steep and he said we could find a company that would do it for $200 per year, but that company wouldn't back up your site or protect it from hackers. Seems like a hyperbolic sales pitch, but we don't know one way or the other if he's right or wrong.

I agree that paying $200 per year seems cheap and I would question the service you would get, but $550 a month seems very expensive just to keep the lights on and update the website a couple times a year. Is there some middle ground, a company that charges a much more reasonable rate, but does a good job? Our website's only purposes are so people can confirm we exist, get some basic info about our practice and attorneys, and find the address and phone number easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
www.chicagofanatics.com/fatherandshakeslawpc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Are you specifically looking for a company or could it be a person. I think I know a guy. Or gal as it were.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 pm 

Just link directly to your twitter page. Clients will be impressed by your wonderful thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
http://www.chicagofanatics.com/fatherandshakeslawpc

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigitos
BLUEHOST

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
https://lmgtfy.com/

fantastic option. no doubt the link will have what you need at the cost you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
https://www.proboards.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:42 pm 

shakes wrote:
So we called our web guy and cancelled the optimization. But, we still need someone to run our website. He said he would do it for $550 per month. We said that seems steep and he said we could find a company that would do it for $200 per year, but that company wouldn't back up your site or protect it from hackers. Seems like a hyperbolic sales pitch, but we don't know one way or the other if he's right or wrong.
He is wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:42 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Are you specifically looking for a company or could it be a person. I think I know a guy. Or gal as it were.

No preference. Just trying to find out if we really need to pay $550 per month or if there is a cheaper way to get the exact same services.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
He is wrong.

Ok, that's a start. Thanks.

Brick, I seem to remember this being your area of actual expertise so definitely interested in what you have to say. Are you saying we'd be fine with the $200 per year people or are you saying we can get it done cheaper than $550, somewhere in the middle?

I'm also open to hiring someone from the board if they are qualified.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
He is wrong.

Brick, I seem to remember this being your area of actual expertise so definitely interested in what you have to say. Are you saying we'd be fine with the $200 per year people or are you saying we can get it done cheaper than $550, somewhere in the middle?

I'm also open to hiring someone from the board if they are qualified.

I'm qualified. PM me all your passwords.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

IMU is the board computer expert.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:

In his mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
shakes wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

No preference. Just trying to find out if we really need to pay $550 per month or if there is a cheaper way to get the exact same services.

Damn I know just the person. But i was just texting her and her employment contract bars freelancing. I asked if she could pass on any associate names. Will pm you. Everyone is Chicago based if that matters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

In his mind.

I heard he mentored Rick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Call Brick, shakes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
He is wrong.

Well, $550 a month is a lot more than what you should be paying if what you say is accurate that it doesn't change very much and has little to no maintenance. Backup and "hacker protection" isn't that expensive.

I guess it really comes down to how much value he provides. It may only be worth it for him to do it for $550 but I would guess in general he is taking at least $500 of that as profit/work. Backup and protection should be automated by him.

Unless you are doing it yourself $200 a year is not going to get it done either. That is probably what even the most basic hosting service would provide. There are cheaper hosting options but a business website really shouldn't be using those.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Call Brick, shakes.
I charge lawyers triple.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SEO isn't important? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Call Brick, shakes.
I charge lawyers triple.

That's okay; he only pays 1/4 of the bill.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:47 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
shakes wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Damn I know just the person. But i was just texting her and her employment contract bars freelancing. I asked if she could pass on any associate names. Will pm you. Everyone is Chicago based if that matters.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
He is wrong.

Well, $550 a month is a lot more than what you should be paying if what you say is accurate that it doesn't change very much and has little to no maintenance. Backup and "hacker protection" isn't that expensive.

I guess it really comes down to how much value he provides. It may only be worth it for him to do it for $550 but I would guess in general he is taking at least $500 of that as profit/work. Backup and protection should be automated by him.

Unless you are doing it yourself $200 a year is not going to get it done either. That is probably what even the most basic hosting service would provide. There are cheaper hosting options but a business website really shouldn't be using those.

I'll call my guy and find out exactly what we are getting for $550, maybe there's more to it than I thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:51 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
SEO isn't important? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure its very important when it works. Unfortunately, in my field, paying $1700 per month for it nets you next to nothing. Fortunately, our business is doing very well right now and we don't need any business derived from the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Your site would not have much in the way of updated content on any consistent basis or any connection to a database, yes?

A basic WordPress website with a domain would be cheap, and would have small maintenance fees.

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graph ... 3Awebsites

Really...once you have it up...you yourself should be able to manage any changes as it would be designed using simple modules and the administrator toolbox wouldn't be too complicated.

edit: SEO focus would not be the method I recommend to a local law office. A social media presence would be a way to take normal word of mouth strategy and apply it to a larger group of people.

Last edited by IMU on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
That would make sense to me. When I'm googling a service price is typically my main concern. When I'm using referrals and word of mouth I'm much less price conscience.

The six internet cases are people are probably expecting the world at half the price.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
:lol: :lol: @ DGH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:

Yeah IMU and the PLO flag will go over great at shake's place.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I don't deal with any of this type of stuff. Could someone explain what "internet optimization" is and why it would be $1200/month?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Killer V wrote:
I don't deal with any of this type of stuff. Could someone explain what "internet optimization" is and why it would be $1200/month?

It is a lot of analysis and tweaking of the website. $3000/mo isn't unreasonable.

You pay for monthly or biweekly meetings....the actual service (10-15 hours per month of research, optimization, checking on the competition etc)

The actual search engine optimization is about identifying groups of keywords that are both 1) popular and 2) not heavily being used / being used properly by your competition.

Then you tweak your website content to have Google better pick up on the associations between they keywords and your website's content.

Being on Google Top 10 search results for well searched keywords increases a website's traffic by extreme margins. And every spot you climb on that Google Top 10 has large gains as well.