It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Reviews are pouring in and it looks like this might be pretty good. Wasn't expecting much after the horse abortion that was 6 but add the reviews, the footage I've seen, and the fact that my wife is interested and I might end up getting this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
My guy!
I loved resident evil. All of them. 4 and 5 were fantastic with the next pov. 6 was meh but not terrible.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:30 pm 

Any updates on this?
I think I'll pick this up as my slow season is approaching and I can sit in a dark room with headphones on and play.

One thing I liked about 4 5 and 6 was the replay value... I hope they have a +new game type option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:02 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Any updates on this?
I think I'll pick this up as my slow season is approaching and I can sit in a dark room with headphones on and play.

One thing I liked about 4 5 and 6 was the replay value... I hope they have a +new game type option.

I ran it by the wife again and she seemed on the fence. I'm fine vegging out on Civ VI so I'm not going to buy this just on my own accord but if she shows a bit more interest in it I'll probably bite.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Reviews are pretty meh for this. From the reviews I watched, the game only has 1 basic enemy type the entire game.

This is a hard pass.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm 

shakes wrote:
Reviews are pretty meh for this. From the reviews I watched, the game only has 1 basic enemy type the entire game.

This is a hard pass.

Certainly not what I've seen. 86 on Metacritic and the outlets I peruse are all generally positive on it.

If my backlog wasn't already packed I'd be picking this up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:11 pm 

IGn review was in the 7s and not that positive other than the backhand compliment where they said it was the best RE game in years. The part about there only being one enemy type in the entire game (other than bosses) is a deal breaker for me, seems very lazy in terms of development.

Also, not a fan of the switch to first person. and it sounds like the de-emphasized combat in this game in favor of exploration....not a fan of that change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm 

I've been playing this the last few days.
There so far is only really one enemy... kind of like a cross between zombies and lickers without a ranged attact. The combat mechanics are FUCKING TERRIBLE. That being said... the atmosphere is wonderful. I enjoy through playable flashbacks. The hero isn't some militarized cop or something, he's some poor schmuck caught up in some weird shit. And his abilities are reflected in that. He's slow. He's kind of a pussy. But hey... in the first act... well... we should give him a hand. He recovered well from a bad injury.
It's pretty scary. There are some stealth elements to the game. Most times its better to bail than fight.
I'm enjoying it. It's not as fun, in my opinion, as re4 or re5 was. Those were combat heavy and fun. This is more like the first game than the newer ones.
All in all I'd buy it again but probably not at full price. Wait until it's a deals with gold or used copy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I've been playing this the last few days.
There so far is only really one enemy... kind of like a cross between zombies and lickers without a ranged attact. The combat mechanics are FUCKING TERRIBLE. That being said... the atmosphere is wonderful. I enjoy through playable flashbacks. The hero isn't some militarized cop or something, he's some poor schmuck caught up in some weird shit. And his abilities are reflected in that. He's slow. He's kind of a pussy. But hey... in the first act... well... we should give him a hand. He recovered well from a bad injury.
It's pretty scary. There are some stealth elements to the game. Most times its better to bail than fight.
I'm enjoying it. It's not as fun, in my opinion, as re4 or re5 was. Those were combat heavy and fun. This is more like the first game than the newer ones.
All in all I'd buy it again but probably not at full price. Wait until it's a deals with gold or used copy.

good review, seems to echo what I saw in the IGN review I watched.

I loved RE4 because of the combat, this game appears to be a step back on that front and more emphasis is placed on atmosphere and creepiness which I guess were trademarks of the early RE games (I;ve only played RE4).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They went back to more of a survival horror experience like the first game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:01 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
They went back to more of a survival horror experience like the first game.

I can't fault them...Resident Evil 4 did that type of game as well as you ever could hope for...