It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
So my trusty droid RAZR Maxx HD just bit the dust after 3.25+ years of service (microUSB / charging port went so nothing I could do / no fault of my own) so thankfully I stick with Verizon cuz they don't fuck around in terms of overnighting me a droid turbo 1 (only knock = Motorola tried to up the cloud in 13-14 by killing off microUSB ports, but by mid-2015 they were back for the turbo 2) but hey free upgrade from 1500mhz/1gb RAM to 2700mhz/3GB ram = I'll take the storage hit from 40/48 GB to 32GB (tho 6.66mb default pictures don't help)

Anyways, it came with Android 5.1 stock and I see in December they got this bad boy on Android 6.0 / Marshmallow, so I wanted to ask if anyone here can vouch for 6.0 > 5.1??

Of course they claim.better battery life/usage and I guess some form of thumbprint BS I won't use? Idk. I see they changed things around to have 3 new buttons @ bottom, so is it genuinely worth the effort to DL/install a 1.2gb update, or am I better off with 5.1?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Current version of Android is 7.1.2 get with it bro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:43 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Current version of Android is 7.1.2 get with it bro

really? there's already a major version update? didn't marshmallow/6.0 only come out in july 2016?

i know my [new to me] droid turbo 1 only got marshmallow in december, and since the phone came out october 2014 i wouldn't expect it to go up to android 7 (my droid razr maxx HD was only @ kitkat/4.4.2 as it was) --- so i guess i'll just start getting used to some obsolete software then (as the 1.2gb update ended up downloading itself in the background [while i was off wifi no less, tho it didnt seem to go against my data so i'm ok with that]) as i just pulled the trigger on marshmallow and uhhh..... yeah, you know, aside from a few cosmetic changes on the surface it doesnt seem too radically different from the 5.1 the turbo1 came with stock. 4.4.2 >> 5.1 seemed like way more of a major jump than 5.1 >> 6.1 or whatever i'm at now.

btw, man, if you ever look up reviews of cellphones you'll find out that there's smartphone nerds out there who love to stay current with all this stuff, and i reckon they must be a telco's wet dream cuz they gotta perpetually be on 2yr contracts unless they're outright dropping $600-800 on these things to get em without being subsidized? wowzers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 pm 

newper wrote:

this picture just made me rub my chin and ponder if "Kerry Would" would be a proper rap name for spmack =P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
I used to be one of those guys buying new every two years when I became eligible for a contract discount. If your phone was new October 2014 then you likely won't see version 7 from Motorola. There's likely a custom software developed by the nerd community but it's not worth the effort of having to root your phone. Since 7 isn't that much different than 6.

Buying a nexus phone or now the new pixel line ensures you timely updates.