It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
somewhere OKC is beating off about this game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
shakes wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Picked up the Nintendo Switch this morning from my local Target and got the Zelda game too. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.

They had them in stock? I thought they were sold out everywhere.

I know MANY people that were able to buy them yesterday and today sans pre-orders.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:13 pm 

shakes wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Picked up the Nintendo Switch this morning from my local Target and got the Zelda game too. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.

They had them in stock? I thought they were sold out everywhere.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that happened. I planned on picking one up on Friday morning, but I had a family emergency and I wasn't able to make it out to a store until around 3:00 PM on Friday afternoon. By that time they were gone everywhere. I woke up on Saturday morning and was just browsing at some stuff on my computer, and I took a look at Target's stock in the area, and my local store had it available. I raced over there and I got 1 of 3 left at about 9:30 in the morning on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
3 days in and I'm still all in on this. The shrines are the perfect sort of bite-sized puzzles that make you scratch your head for a few moments but don't get frustrated OoT Water Temple style. The first proper "dungeon" I did come across used a lot of the mechanics in ways I wouldn't have thought of before. Also feature one of the more interesting boss fights I've played in a while. If the rest of the game is up to this caliber, it's easy to see why people have been calling this a masterpiece.

Only big complaint I can think of is that the inventory management and map system could have been so much better if this was a Wii U exclusive game. I understand why they ported it over to Switch and I get that you wouldn't want the superior version of the game on the old hardware, but every time I see the game pad sit there and do nothing but flash a message about "push here to play on gamepad", I think of how this game at some point must have surely had the inventory and maps on the gamepad, easily available at the push of a screen.

I'm still not sure I can recommend buying a Switch right now just for this game, but if I was ever going to say buy a system for one game, this might be it. That being said, if you have a Wii U, there's no reason you shouldn't be playing this right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:41 pm 

Ok, minor gripe on the game turned into the one solid knock I'd have on this game. The framerate isn't the best, and at times can chug, especially when you get a lot of plant life on the screen. I'm fine with this, but yesterday I had the game get to a part where it must have been particularly taxing on the system because it straight up froze for a good three seconds. It recovered, so it wasn't a crash situation, but still really annoying.

Also, it'd be great if the Great Fairies didn't make it sound like I was watching a late night Cinemax flick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
The framerate isn't the best, and at times can chug, especially when you get a lot of plant life on the screen.

Based on graphical fidelity, I think attaining 20-30 FPS is pretty damn good.

No one plays console games for the frame rate? That is a major downside.

I love having a Steam Link on my TV now. The benefits of console gaming without the loss of graphics or comfort of playing (some games) with a controller on a couch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 pm 

IMU wrote:
No one plays console games for the frame rate? That is a major downside.

I get that, which is why the lower framerate was something I never mentioned until now. But for a game to straight up just freeze for seconds at a time is brutal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 pm 

IMU wrote:
I love having a Steam Link on my TV now. The benefits of console gaming without the loss of graphics or comfort of playing (some games) with a controller on a couch.

I just have my tower sitting next to the entertainment center. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:49 pm 

Without wanting to sound too negative, BotW seems like too good of a game to be a Nintendo exclusive. They really nailed it, it sounds like.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:52 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
IMU wrote:

I just have my tower sitting next to the entertainment center. :lol:

I'm not set up too well for that in my apartment. Additionally, when I play WASD type games ...I need to be sitting in the normal "desktop PC" fashion.

I was skeptical when I bought my Steam Link. I thought there would be input lag. There is none. I also wasn't aware it can stream your entire PC, not just Steam and Steam games via Steam Big Picture.

Fantastic device for $50 (and usually less than $50 since it is always on sale).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
thinking about picking up a Switch and Zelda this week. Trying to decide between doing that and getting Nier: Automata for the PS4 instead and then getting the Switch later on.

Whatever I do, need to have my gaming calendar cleared by the time Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out, really looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 am 

Pulled the trigger on this and a Switch. Played a bit last night, pretty cool looking game so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 am 

shakes wrote:
Pulled the trigger on this and a Switch. Played a bit last night, pretty cool looking game so far.

Where did you find one? I haven't seen a single one on the shelf anywhere since I bought mine the second day after launch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
shakes wrote:

Where did you find one? I haven't seen a single one on the shelf anywhere since I bought mine the second day after launch.

They're everywhere. Was at Best Buy at Kimball and Belmont a couple weeks ago and they said they had 13 in the back, but they don't put them out on the shelves. I was there yesterday and they were out, but said more were coming in Friday. Drove over to Gamestop on Addison and they had 2 on the shelf.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:20 am 

I'll tell you one thing after nearly a week with the game. Lots of love went into making this game. The details in the animations and the art style of the game make me feel like I'm watching a Disney cartoon at times. Love the little cooking mini game. The music and the way the food bounces around in the pot reminds me of Fantasia in a whimsical way.

And all the little secrets you can uncover along the way. It feels like there is something hidden every 50 feet.

Game is hard too, I've died about 100 times already. Still trying to get the hang of the combat.

So far I can see why this game is getting the love it is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 am 

double post ya dicks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Haven't touched a Nintendo product since Ocarina of Time, how does it compare to that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:52 am 

Apologist wrote:
Haven't touched a Nintendo product since Ocarina of Time, how does it compare to that?

It's better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 pm 

shakes wrote:
Apologist wrote:

It's better.

Truth.

BotW is better in almost every way imaginable. Only thing I'd say OoT has over it is the Water Temple and that addicting fishing mini game.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 am 

This game might be longer than Witcher3. If that's even possible. I'm over 30 hours in and have probably seen 25-30% of the map. And I think I've done maybe 2-3 main quests and haven't even gone to any of the 4 main dungeons yet.

All I've been doing is trying to open the map and visit as many shrines as possible. I've completed 34 shrines out of the 120 in the game.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 am 

shakes wrote:
This game might be longer than Witcher3. If that's even possible. I'm over 30 hours in and have probably seen 25-30% of the map. And I think I've done maybe 2-3 main quests and haven't even gone to any of the 4 main dungeons yet.

All I've been doing is trying to open the map and visit as many shrines as possible. I've completed 34 shrines out of the 120 in the game.

Damn, I didn't realize the game was that huge. I took a break and I've been playing some Mario Kart lately, but 120 shrines is insane.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 am 

Douchebag wrote:
shakes wrote:

Damn, I didn't realize the game was that huge. I took a break and I've been playing some Mario Kart lately, but 120 shrines is insane.

you think that's insane, there's 900 korok seeds to be discovered.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 am 

Shakes did a 180° on the types of games he enjoys.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:02 pm 

IMU wrote:
Shakes did a 180° on the types of games he enjoys.

I'm a very open minded person and always willing to jump in 100% to a new interest. So its not all that surprising that I went from hating open world action/RPGS to now being a huge fan.

I did the same thing with music where 2 years ago out of the blue I decided to give Country a try and now 2 years later that is all I listen to.

I've also done this several times with sports. Used to be a huge NBA guy, stopped watching when MJ left and the Bulls got bad, got back into NBA about 5 years later and then recently stopped watching again. Used to love MLB, stopped following that completely 15 years ago. Used to be obsessed with College bball and then stopped watching it entirely 15 years ago and then this year I became obsessed again. Done the same with NHL more than once and recently got into and then stopped watching soccer.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:31 pm 

Ima don't let your babies grow up to be worker's comp lawyers.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 pm 

that is definitely good advice.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 am 

about 50 hours in and finally opened up all the towers and can now see the entire map. Also completed one of the 5 main dungeons, the elephant.

Sitting at about 50 shrines and 50 korok seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am 

Finished this last night. 5 months and over 150 hours. Fantastic game, but like a lot of other games you become way overpowered towards the end. Final battle with Ganon was way too easy.

There are still a couple things I could do. There is a DLC challenge where you have to survive 50 rooms full of enemies and if you die you start back at the beginning. Might try that. Also could go look for the rest of the Korok seeds. There are 900 of them and I haven't even found 200. Also might play the masters mode which was released with the DLC.

Gonna be a long wait till RDR2, gotta find a game to play in between.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
shakes wrote:
Finished this last night. 5 months and over 150 hours. Fantastic game, but like a lot of other games you become way overpowered towards the end. Final battle with Ganon was way too easy.

There are still a couple things I could do. There is a DLC challenge where you have to survive 50 rooms full of enemies and if you die you start back at the beginning. Might try that. Also could go look for the rest of the Korok seeds. There are 900 of them and I haven't even found 200. Also might play the masters mode which was released with the DLC.

Gonna be a long wait till RDR2, gotta find a game to play in between.

That's the problem with open world games. They need to make the enemies hard enough to not easily beat them early on, but not so hard that it's impossible to beat them later on when you beef up.

I picked BOTWQ up day 1 and have about 185 hours into the game. The DLC is fun and part 2 is coming out later this year that includes an all new original story and quest that is supposed to take place after Ganon is defeated.

The Master Sword trials in the DLC are cool. You don't automatically start at the beginning if you die. There are three stages that go up in difficulty with each stage having around 15 to 20 rooms. During whichever stage you are on, if you die, you start at the beginning of the first room of said stage. By the end of stage three, the rooms get super hard - white maned lynels with roaming guardians all at the same time. It's fun, though!

I'm in the same boat as you. The second DLC content doesn't come out until December. I have about 500 Korok seeds and about 7 or 8 of the 76 side quests still to complete. But I've moved on to other games right now - specifically Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Fun turn based tactical shooter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 am 

thanks for the info. Went and finished up stage one of the sword trials, it was pretty easy once I took my time. Got hung up on one room and lost a lot of health, but had picked up so many bits of food along the way that I was able to fully regenerate.

Might try the master mode, but not sure I want to go around farming all the materials and food all over again.