It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB the show 17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
The new baseball game for PS4 comes out tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: MLB the show 17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
it will no doubt be a fine baseball game... but i found myself last year playing the hell out of a PSN baseball game super mega baseball... arcade gameplay with season mode... fun in quick bursts... enjoyed it much more than i did the show series.... got it while on sale $5... of course no MLB license or player names... but just fun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yea, Super Mega Baseball is a good arcade style of baseball. It has alot of the same mechanics as The Show too.

I have the new Show pre-downloaded and ready to go. Looking forward to the new additions to the RTTS mode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Can't wait...I'll pick it up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Just downloaded my digital copy. Warning: As usual, despite the game being labeled "installed" you have to go through The Show's own installation process as though from a disc, it's stupid as hell and might require a system restart or two because the system tends to "hang" and not actually install the game while you play the bare-bones exhibition they put you in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Tortorice's
Picking it up this weekend I'm debating between the standard and deluxe edition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:31 am 

Dreadnaught847 wrote:

All the extras I saw seemed to be aimed at Diamond Dynasty players (extra "stubs", packs, etc.), a mode I'm not all that interested in, despite their efforts to make it the next FUT.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am 

I haven't touched a mode outside RTTS since the early PS3 days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:10 am 

Diamond Dynasty is the mode all of my friends play. I dab in it but I'm mainly a RTTS player. I'm in my 6th season with the Twins as a 2b and in my 2nd season with the Indians as a SP. I've played every game in both. I love that they let you transfer over your career to the new game every year.

Diamond Dynasty would put all of the other Ultimate Team modes to shame if they could get the rights for all the past players. Imagine trotting out Murderer's Row as your lineup?

Hopefully one year they come up with pro clubs for The Show. That's what I mainly play in FIFA and NHL (when NHL games were still good)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The's a 90 OVR postseason flashback Schwarber in DD supposedly. I want to like DD but there's too many other decent game modes to play.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 am 

I wonder who the best player is this year. Last year it was 2001 Arod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 pm 

For the 35th year in a row, I can't take a walk to save my life in a video game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Dreadnaught847 wrote:

All the extras I saw seemed to be aimed at Diamond Dynasty players (extra "stubs", packs, etc.), a mode I'm not all that interested in, despite their efforts to make it the next FUT.

Never been interested in diamond dynasty

Rtts is always fun though

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
KDdidit wrote:
For the 35th year in a row, I can't take a walk to save my life in a video game.

I know what you mean, I pretty much swing at everything

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:50 am 

reents wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I know what you mean, I pretty much swing at everything

I've tried in years past to use the guess pitch hot zone on the inside corner and have usually found it helps when you're at bat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
KDdidit wrote:

:lol: :lol:

My on base % is always trash because of this too. I am truthfully more proud of myself when I talk a walk instead of when I hit a HR.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:53 pm 

To be fair, I also don't strike out much. For years I always use the guess pitch that pinpoints the exact middle of the zone and then goes down in the shape of a triangle that covers every thing low. That's the pitch I can't judge at all, and other than a few high fastballs and nasty sliders here and there I don't miss a lot on all-star level.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 pm 

I've already walked once and I'm only in my fifth RTTS game. 1 walk every 20 AB or so would be far better than I've done in previous careers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm 

It depends what mode you play on too. Play on something like veteran and they will leave shit over the heart of the plate. Play on all star and above and they will try to paint corners more.

Try facing Syndergaard and Sale on the hardest difficulty just for fun.

I play on Veteran which is the regular difficulty.

It's also easier to take walks online as people try to paint more as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm 

That would be the exception to my guess low strategy. If the guy has a killer slider, I figure it gets thrown with 2 strikes and pick the zone it will break towards. I never guess pitch, only location.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 pm 

The gameplay is the best ever in a baseball game. The ball physics are outstanding.

Every homerun would feel the same in the older games but now theres so many ways the ball can leave your bat. You can line screamers just over the wall, something you never been able to do.

As a RTTS player it makes fielding more fun as well. I play 2b and the spin on the ball on some of these choppers makes it more of a challenge. Really need to focus now and know who's running out of the box.

Annnnddd for the first time in The Show base stealing actually takes skill and ultimate focus. It was easily the worst part of the series all these years. It was so bad and easy that it was considered cheap to do online. Those days are done. The head games the base runner and pitcher play with each other feels like real baseball now.

The managers are still morons though. One of my teammates in rtts is 2nd in the league in home runs and RBIs only to me and is hitting over .300 and he got benched :lol:

Oh well. Gameplay wise it is near perfect though.

Last edited by Hockey Gay on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
That would be the exception to my guess low strategy. If the guy has a killer slider, I figure it gets thrown with 2 strikes and pick the zone it will break towards. I never guess pitch, only location.

I turn off guess pitch. That's not baseball. I always found it to be a silly feature.

Change ups are my arch nemesis.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I turn off guess pitch. That's not baseball. I always found it to be a silly feature.

Mine is the slider low and away. I can usually at least foul off a good change.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Hank Baez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Hank Baez

True. I always get pissed when I look like a fool and the announcer drops some variation of "not a good at bat there". Fuck you pal!! I'm 4 beers deep and up way too late on a Tuesday night!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:33 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Hank Baez

True. I always get pissed when I look like a fool and the announcer drops some variation of "not a good at bat there". Fuck you pal!! I'm 4 beers deep and up way too late on a Tuesday night!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:52 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hank Baez

True. I always get pissed when I look like a fool and the announcer drops some variation of "not a good at bat there". Fuck you pal!! I'm 4 Jameson bottles deep and up way too late on a Tuesday night!

Hank Gay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 am 

Totally agree on the ball flight--which doesn't seem like a big thing--being a game-changer. You can now hit line drives over the heads of outfielders, balls will float and hang, flying all the way into the gap and careening off the walls to make for an ability to construct a doubles-hitter instead of just a strict home run power bat.

I haven't seen much use of the "moments" feature they implemented, the cut-scenes feel more like a text adventure than an RPG element, and the only thing I've ever found it to be useful for is to keep the managing club of my RTTS player from changing his position out of the blue (making a starter a closer, etc.).

If you want to have some fun, you can now change the CPU trade slider in RTTS, which will make all the teams in the league more aggressive in trading for assets or stars. My pitcher has already been traded twice, and in all my previous RTTS experience I don't recall one trade that I didn't call for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Hank Scorpio wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

My on base % is always trash because of this too. I am truthfully more proud of myself when I talk a walk instead of when I hit a HR.

I'll probably download or pick this up today but god knows the only walk I'm taking is an intentional one. And god help me when the team has me pinch hit for the catcher and doesn't sub for me defensively.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I'll probably download or pick this up today but god knows the only walk I'm taking is an intentional one. And god help me when the team has me pinch hit for the catcher and doesn't sub for me defensively.

That's the worst. :lol: The first time it happened, I was floored... what the hell is going on here?