It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XFINITY Mobile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Looks like this is Comcast's jump into the wireless market. Has anyone heard anything yet? Because I'm already a comcast customer my rates would blow my current cell provider out of the water. Just not sure about quality/service.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/

Post subject: Re: XFINITY Mobile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I have a friend that works for Comcast and was a guinea pig. I could ask. He had mentioned he was going it but never told me what he thought.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Runs on Verizon's network. Seems if you are a Comcast internet customer you get unlimited voice and text. Than you can pay by gig or get unlimited for 45 per phone.

Bad part is you have to buy your phone from them no questions asked since they want you to use the xFinity Wifi network.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I would wait and get some feedback. Every customer (even home users), unless they "opt out," become an Xfinity "hot spot." If you're an Xfinity wifi customer, look at your devices and in addition to your home network (whatever you've named it), there is also an "Xfinity" network that is open. Supposedly people logging onto this open network don't affect your bandwidth, but I shut off the open network nonetheless.

The new mobile offering is going to combine LTE with this wifi network. So, if you're in an Xfinity hot spot area, your call will be carried over wifi (low cost for Comcast). If you're in your car, it will be traditional LTE (high cost for Comcast). I have concerns both about call quality, and how seamless the transition will be from wifi to LTE. For example, if you start a call at home, but then get in your car, will the transition be noticeable? Will the call drop?

Someone else may have more info, but that's my understanding. Bottom line, I'd wait a month for some feedback from a larger sample of consumers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
using your own cable modem also prevents the xfinitywifi network!

i had heard nothing about this so when i saw the commercials it surprised me. It "sounds" pretty good, $45 a month, but then you are basically tethered to them for TV and internet... they'll be able to jack up your internet and TV rates and you'll have no ability to leave because your stuck with a $25 a month cell phone sunk cost for 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:49 pm 

WL Bill wrote:
Runs on Verizon's network. Seems if you are a Comcast internet customer you get unlimited voice and text. Than you can pay by gig or get unlimited for 45 per phone.

Bad part is you have to buy your phone from them no questions asked since they want you to use the xFinity Wifi network.

Don't all major networks have unlimited voice and text for all plans now? I didn't think any of them still tried to charge for that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
IMU wrote:
WL Bill wrote:

Don't all major networks have unlimited voice and text for all plans now? I didn't think any of them still tried to charge for that.

Yeah but if you have xFinity internet you do not pay for it. Just pay for data.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:53 pm 

WL Bill wrote:
IMU wrote:
WL Bill wrote:

Yeah but if you have xFinity internet you do not pay for it. Just pay for data.

That's what I mean. You don't pay for it with any major service.

When you buy a Verizon plan, you're picking your plan based on data caps. From the lowest tier to the highest tier, you get free calling and texting. For a few years now. The only other plans would be grandfathered plans for people too lazy to call or stop into Verizon once every couple of years to get the best plans and rates.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I noticed that the commercials state only that you would save vs ATT, probably because the deal precludes them mentioning Verizon (and it would still be more expensive than Sprint).

I would avoid this.