It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Mario Odyssey
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Comes out tomorrow for the Switch. Reviews hit today and they are almost all perfect score 10/10. 97 on Metracritic based on 66 reviews with over half of them being perfect scores. Only 3 scores below 90 and only one ass gave it a 75.

Between that and Zelda the Switch might have the 2 best games of the year.

Post subject: Re: Super Mario Odyssey
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mario and Zelda always get good reviews on every Nintendo console it seems but what else do they have? Honest question. I don't pay attention to the industry anymore and haven't owned a Nintendo console since SNES.

It's hard for me to convince myself to shell out $300 for a two game console.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
My birthday was yesterday, and my wife printed off the cover and put it in a bag telling me it would be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

I've heard near universally great reviews as well. The one complaint I heard is that some of the moves in the game require motion controls, which can ben difficult if you're playing in handheld mode or even with a pro controller. You can turn off the motion controls, but a few of the commands cannot be done with buttons and supposedly there are a few optional items you can only get with motion controls. Obviously not a deal breaker. Just pointing out the one issue I heard with the game.

Regardless, I will be getting it tomorrow, and between that and Stranger Things Season 2 starting, I will be a zombie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Hockey Gay wrote:
Mario and Zelda always get good reviews on every Nintendo console it seems but what else do they have? Honest question. I don't pay attention to the industry anymore and haven't owned a Nintendo console since SNES.

And Breath of the Wild has a "PC version" that looks and runs better than the Switch version.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

Because the Switch has been having such success, a lot of 3rd party companies that had not provided much support for the more recent Nintendo systems have been making or porting games for the Switch. I think after the holiday season, you will see a lot more as well once they see how big the sales are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 pm 

IMU wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

And Breath of the Wild has a "PC version" that looks and runs better than the Switch version.

Except everything looks and runs better on a PC. Same can be said for PC games compared to Xbox One and PS4 as well. And graphics and framerate aren't that important. I can play a great version on the Switch for a total price of under $400.00 or play a top notch version on a PC for a custom-built PC for $1500.00. I'll take the convenience, cost, and portability of the Switch any day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:27 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
IMU wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Except everything looks and runs better on a PC. Same can be said for PC games compared to Xbox One and PS4 as well. And graphics and framerate aren't that important. I can play a great version on the Switch for a total price of under $400.00 or play a top notch version on a PC for a custom-built PC for $1500.00. I'll take the convenience, cost, and portability of the Switch any day.

No. The PC version emulates the Wii U Breath of the Wild with just graphic enhancements that don't tax performance. You could run it pretty easily.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Hockey Gay wrote:

the first statement isn't true at all. They don't always get good reviews.

I'll buy a switch but there's no way I can afford it right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

I bought the Switch just for Zelda back in March and have played it almost every day since. Throw in the Mario game and its definitely been a worthwhile purchase for me, even if its just for 1-2 games.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:35 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
My birthday was yesterday, and my wife printed off the cover and put it in a bag telling me it would be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

I've heard near universally great reviews as well. The one complaint I heard is that some of the moves in the game require motion controls, which can ben difficult if you're playing in handheld mode or even with a pro controller. You can turn off the motion controls, but a few of the commands cannot be done with buttons and supposedly there are a few optional items you can only get with motion controls. Obviously not a deal breaker. Just pointing out the one issue I heard with the game.

Regardless, I will be getting it tomorrow, and between that and Stranger Things Season 2 starting, I will be a zombie.

I use the pro controller and the motion controls for Zelda were pretty terrible, don't know if that was just with the pro controller or if that was the same with the regular controllers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm 

shakes wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

I use the pro controller and the motion controls for Zelda were pretty terrible, don't know if that was just with the pro controller or if that was the same with the regular controllers.

Yeah, I pretty much exclusively play with the pro controller for all the Switch games I own. The motion controls with the pro controller weren't great for Zelda, but they were pretty minimal at least. Mostly some of the shrine missions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:41 am 

Great game. Sunk about 5 hours into it over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:32 pm 

SuperMario wrote:

yea, its really cool. Apparently, you only get through about 20% of the content with the main story and a bunch of stuff opens up afterwards.

Some of the 2 bit levels are really tough. One of them I just gave up after a bunch of tries.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:18 pm 

shakes wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

yea, its really cool. Apparently, you only get through about 20% of the content with the main story and a bunch of stuff opens up afterwards.

Some of the 2 bit levels are really tough. One of them I just gave up after a bunch of tries.

I must not have gotten that far. I've opened up about 8 worlds and have around 100 power moons. I am having too much fun jumping off buildings and wall jumping around New Donk City.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:31 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
shakes wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

I must not have gotten that far. I've opened up about 8 worlds and have around 100 power moons. I am having too much fun jumping off buildings and wall jumping around New Donk City.

You're further than me. I think I've only been to 4-5 worlds. But even the worlds I finished I'm sure there are still a lot of things/moons there I missed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:49 pm 

shakes wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
shakes wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

You're further than me. I think I've only been to 4-5 worlds. But even the worlds I finished I'm sure there are still a lot of things/moons there I missed.

Ah. I will get enough moons to get to the new kingdom and then go back and get a few from old kingdoms. That's how I always played Super Mario 64. I would never get all the stars from one world at the same time. I would bounce around back and forth. I love having endless options on where to go and what to do. Part of why I love this game. So much freedom.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:49 am 

Finished the main game, took me 35 hours and would've taken a lot longer if I didn't use a guide to get about half the moons.

Been working on post game stuff now, lots more moons to grab.

Some moons are too hard and I just walk away, turns out I am terrible at this game. There are advanced jumps and moves you can do, but they're way too complicated for me to give a shit about so never learned them.

Game is really good, but has lots of filler in terms of collecting moons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tS6GWNsoZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlAUr2MWDY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 am 

shakes wrote:
Finished the main game, took me 35 hours and would've taken a lot longer if I didn't use a guide to get about half the moons.

Been working on post game stuff now, lots more moons to grab.

Some moons are too hard and I just walk away, turns out I am terrible at this game. There are advanced jumps and moves you can do, but they're way too complicated for me to give a shit about so never learned them.

Game is really good, but has lots of filler in terms of collecting moons.

I hadn't played in weeks because we are repairing our basement, but I finally got back to it. I am at Bowser now and have collected about 250 moons. It has been a blast. I am ok at a few of the complicated jumps. It's all about using the hat to get to higher and farther places.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:03 pm 

and I absolutely suck at the hat throws.

I guess you are supposed to do some combination of hat throw, jump and dive but that's way beyond my skill level.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 

shakes wrote:
and I absolutely suck at the hat throws.

I guess you are supposed to do some combination of hat throw, jump and dive but that's way beyond my skill level.

I'm surprised you didn't blame it on your bad back.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm 

I imagine watching shakes play Nintendo is a lot like when I used to watch my nieces and nephews play Nintendo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:26 pm 

IMU wrote:
I imagine watching shakes play Nintendo is a lot like when I used to watch my nieces and nephews play Nintendo.

That's probably an insult to your nieces and nephews.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

That's probably an insult to your nieces and nephews.

They've learned to endure the insults. That is the best part about being an uncle. You can do no wrong.