It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Google Project Fi
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Is anyone using this?

https://fi.google.com/about/

Coverage seems to be very good in my nape of the neck and the service has received good reviews.

I wish they were offering a discount on the Pixel for signing up them.

Post subject: Re: Google Project Fi
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Tad Queasy wrote:
Is anyone using this?

https://fi.google.com/about/

Coverage seems to be very good in my nape of the neck and the service has received good reviews.

I wish they were offering a discount on the Pixel for signing up them.

I had a soldier I was in charge of who had it. He was satisfied. The coverage was spotty down south though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Pretty sure in looking at map there would be spotty at best coverage here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I switched from TMo to Fi almost a year ago. TMo coverage was getting problematic for me, I couldn't pick up a signal indoors when i was in NC and other southern states. Around Chicago/DuPage, the reception was fine. Fi doesn't have that problem for me, the combination of TMo/ATT and the occasional US Cellular works well.

I've been really pleased with Fi, but I'm not a heavy data user. They just added a $60 unlimited data cap. I have the 6P which I wasn't pleased with at first. I had trouble keeping picking up wifi signals when I was traveling. But then they had an OS update and that all got taken care of. I'm down in NC for a couple of days, and there's a lot of wifi coverage from TWC with free access for XFINITY customers. I used to have to put in credentials every time and it was unusable, now it remembers it all and seamlessly runs me in and out. It definitely keeps the data costs lower.

I pay $31/month base (voice/text, taxes, $5 device protection), and then $10/GB prorated to the penny. A typical month for me is $43. Outside the US, it's $0.20/min for voice, but the same $10/GB for data. Since he doesn't do email, $4/day to talk with my dad for 20 minutes is an easy decision.

The other thing I like is that the data extends to a bunch of devices and you can get free SIMs for them. I only have one extra device, my old TMo Nexus 5. I leave it at my office and I have an extra device I can access while somebody is talking to me on my 6P. The other time I use it is when I'm going to a sporting event and don't feel like carrying the larger 6P but still want email/browsing access.

If you don't know any other Fi users, I have a referral code for $20 off for both of us, send me a PM if you decide to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Pretty sure in looking at map there would be spotty at best coverage here.

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I switched from TMo to Fi almost a year ago. TMo coverage was getting problematic for me, I couldn't pick up a signal indoors when i was in NC and other southern states. Around Chicago/DuPage, the reception was fine. Fi doesn't have that problem for me, the combination of TMo/ATT and the occasional US Cellular works well.

I've been really pleased with Fi, but I'm not a heavy data user. They just added a $60 unlimited data cap. I have the 6P which I wasn't pleased with at first. I had trouble keeping picking up wifi signals when I was traveling. But then they had an OS update and that all got taken care of. I'm down in NC for a couple of days, and there's a lot of wifi coverage from TWC with free access for XFINITY customers. I used to have to put in credentials every time and it was unusable, now it remembers it all and seamlessly runs me in and out. It definitely keeps the data costs lower.

I pay $31/month base (voice/text, taxes, $5 device protection), and then $10/GB prorated to the penny. A typical month for me is $43. Outside the US, it's $0.20/min for voice, but the same $10/GB for data. Since he doesn't do email, $4/day to talk with my dad for 20 minutes is an easy decision.

The other thing I like is that the data extends to a bunch of devices and you can get free SIMs for them. I only have one extra device, my old TMo Nexus 5. I leave it at my office and I have an extra device I can access while somebody is talking to me on my 6P. The other time I use it is when I'm going to a sporting event and don't feel like carrying the larger 6P but still want email/browsing access.

If you don't know any other Fi users, I have a referral code for $20 off for both of us, send me a PM if you decide to try it.

Thanks for all the info., CCFC! I will let you know if I try Fi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Rural bureau county. I mean, like the most rural part of Bureau county which is already pretty rural in general.

Much of where I’d be would have some service but there are some areas that look like they have zero service. Looks reminiscent of t-mobile or sprint back in the day that I couldn’t talk inside or north of a certain point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Rural bureau county. I mean, like the most rural part of Bureau county which is already pretty rural in general.

Much of where I’d be would have some service but there are some areas that look like they have zero service. Looks reminiscent of t-mobile or sprint back in the day that I couldn’t talk inside or north of a certain point.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure you aren't in Schaumburg and I horribly misread the coverage map.