It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New phone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
My friend laughed at me the other day when I told him what kind of iPhone I have. I’ve had my 5s since 2013. I think it’s time to upgrade — not because of what my friend thinks but because I want to get something for it on eBay while I can before it goes completely nonfunctional (phone’s generally slower and one top corner of the screen is starting to detach).

I’m not a lunatic so there’s absolutely no way I’m paying $1,000 for the iPhone 10 or X or whatever Tim Cook thought would be cool to call it. Anybody have the 7 or 8? Is the bigger screen nice or is it a pain in the ass to put in your pocket?

Post subject: Re: New phone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I still use my trust 6 plus with the larger screen. It’s perfect and fits my pockets just fine. One of my kids went Samsung and likes it. She did find out the so called unbreakable screen is actually crackable and there aren’t really aftermarket solutions I found. My sons also went to Samsung and now came back to Apple.

So basically go to the store and try what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Ron Wolfley wrote:
My friend laughed at me the other day when I told him what kind of iPhone I have. I’ve had my 5s since 2013. I think it’s time to upgrade — not because of what my friend thinks but because I want to get something for it on eBay while I can before it goes completely nonfunctional (phone’s generally slower and one top corner of the screen is starting to detach).

I’m not a lunatic so there’s absolutely no way I’m paying $1,000 for the iPhone 10 or X or whatever Tim Cook thought would be cool to call it. Anybody have the 7 or 8? Is the bigger screen nice or is it a pain in the ass to put in your pocket?

Had a 4s until Christmas.

Got a Samsung 8. Love the huge screen, but I still haven't figured out how to get it in my pocket when I ain't wearing a coat. Pain in the ass. However, you can actually watch videos and read books and post on CFMB on it.

Camera is better, too. It's really just putting it in my pocket that I am getting used to. I still use the iPhone 4s with headphones when exercising, but damnit, that tiny screen is useless.

Wife has iPhone X. Says all the same stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I just handed in my iPhone 5 about 6 weeks ago. My company pays my phone bill and I talked to my boss and my bill was really low and he said to just
roll the phone payments into the bill and submit it when I do expense report. I ended up getting an iPhone 8 Plus. It is a little bigger than I was
expecting but over all I really like it. I hardly use my phone at all compared to most but the other one was starting to show its age and was really slow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I have a 5S that works just fine. Everyone makes fun of it. I don't want a bigger phone, and this one is functional.

A guy in the office just got a new iphone that looked to be the same size of the 5S. I just don't want one of those large screen phones that don't fit in my pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Son just got a 7S for 180 off of LetGo. 64 GB. He loves it.

Check out Swappa, Varage Sale, Craigslist, LetGo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
denisdman wrote:
I have a 5S that works just fine. Everyone makes fun of it. I don't want a bigger phone, and this one is functional.

A guy in the office just got a new iphone that looked to be the same size of the 5S. I just don't want one of those large screen phones that don't fit in my pocket.

I have a 6s that isn't going anywhere until I can't get support for it...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:22 pm 

LG G6 is by far the best bang for buck right now... especially if youre ok with a used one. even new, $280 is a steal for what you get.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I followed the sjboyd method until a year ago when the old phone could not handle the current technology. I went with a One Plus 3T. It is a great phone and was easily $350 bucks less than whatever the run of the mill new Samsung was at the time...BUT it had better battery life, charging speed, the same processor chip as the Samsung, gorilla glass, comparable camera etc etc. They now have a One Plus 6 I think. Do check it out for specs and price comparison. It is a Chinese product. I could not justify spending the going rate for Apple, Samsung and just didn't care for LG and the other options. Take a look.

$529 I think with maybe additional for phone protector and other addons.
https://www.oneplus.com/6

comments and specs site. I can see where a gamer might say the phone overheats. The phone does heat up some when I play my piddly games.
https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_6-reviews-9109.php

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I don't understand the need to upgrade phones all the time. What are the significance differences (that normal people actually use)?

I remember when one of the companies had an ad showing that you could put your phone next to someone else's and share information like music play lists. When would that ever be useful? I don't give a shit what music someone else likes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
I don't understand the need to upgrade phones all the time. What are the significance differences (that normal people actually use)?

I remember when one of the companies had an ad showing that you could put your phone next to someone else's and share information like music play lists. When would that ever be useful? I don't give a shit what music someone else likes.

I don't know how people can have phones for much longer than two years. By that point the phone seems to run so slowly that it mine as well be a flip phone. I guess it also depends on usage. Do you use it as a phone or as a computer more?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
leashyourkids wrote:

New applications will build in the latest technology. Depending on how often you use certain internet functions you may find they basically stop working over a period of time as the newer and newer applications do not sync with whatever technology is in your phone. Also, the phone I had was old enough that is started having trouble picking up clear cell signal for phone calls..drops, garbled etc. It was shocking how much of an improvement the new phone provided. then again, my original cell was probably 8 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
My kids wanted to be counter culture to their parents, so they went Samsung. We use Sprint. My wife goes into the store with my son (against my advice) and enters a contract that she did not read. She tells me how much per month we're going to save and that there was no upfront cost. When I look at the contract I started pointing out how they screwed her over. They laughed me off. Fast forward to a year later after those events, and the boy wants a new phone. I pull out the contract and tell them, they leased instead of buying the phone, and the contract states they will have to make the remaining 12 lease payment to get out of the contract. They also have no equity because they leased it.

We have typically paid the $200 upfront charge with Sprint and then we own the phone after 24 months. We use the money from that phone to then pay the cost of the next phone and so on. Sure your payments are higher when you buy, but then you have something at the end.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I don't know how people can have phones for much longer than two years. By that point the phone seems to run so slowly that it mine as well be a flip phone. I guess it also depends on usage. Do you use it as a phone or as a computer more?

Both. I use my phone for internet more than a computer.

My current personal phone is an old piece of shit because I lost my first one and I refuse to pay 800 dollars for a new one. It's only powered on probably half the time. My work phone is an iphone, but I'm not even sure what version. I've had it at least a couple years, and it still works great. I've never really had phones just start going slow, I don't think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
i don’t think I’ve had a phone make it two years before I destroy it in 6 years. I think the last survivor was an iPhone 3 or there abouts and even its screen was cracked. Cases help but even than moisture can be a problem. Pretty happy if I get 18 months.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Appreciate the feedback gentlemen. I’m going with the iPhone 8 — still undecided on regular vs plus. Going to wait it out a couple more months so the price drops when whatever new iPhone after the X comes out in September.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
I don't give a shit what music someone else likes.

:evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
who dis?

Got a LG V30+ from Sprint -- it was 50% off and we had a "long time user" discount of an additonal $10 so it ended up just being $9 a month. Only had it two days so far, but wow, so much faster than what I was using (a HTC M8 from 2014.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I've found success on eBay. Over the past year I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 (this is when it was the newest Galaxy) for $525 when it wasn't selling for anything less than $700 at retail stores. The $700 price tag was rare and I only found that price at Costco. I also bought a Google Pixel for $300. Both were brand new. They were gifts for other people.

I'm not sure if I could have found those phones in new condition for anything less than what I paid but I'd certainly like to know if so. On second thought I probably could have found it cheaper if I increased my risk tolerance by dealing with individuals on Craigslist or eBay or wherever. What I did instead is use eBay filters to narrow my vendors down to those who only had eBay stores, had a certain amount of transactions, and who accepted returns. That provided me with enough assurance to pull the trigger.

One downside I can think is the lack of perks/support I might have received had I bought directly from Samsung or Google. For example, I bought a Nexus 6p directly from Google back when Google phones were priced cheaper than the more high end devices like the Galaxy or iPhones, even though the Google phones could go to war easily with both of those devices. Anyway 1.5 years into owning that phone I called Google one day to troubleshoot a problem and in the end they just decided to give me a new Google Pixel phone, which was the successor to my phone, because they were trying to get rid of them in order to make space for the Pixel 2. That kind of thing is not going to happen at eBay. All I had to do was send in my Nexus 6p.

As for what type of phone to buy, for me if you're interested in Android then there's no way I don't buy anything other than a Pixel device (or whoever has stock Android). Once you've had stock Android you can't go back. I sampled the Galaxy S9 and I've had other Android phones (HTC, etc) and I just hate them now when compared to stock Android devices. There's no awkward looking mixture of user interfaces, no waiting forever for software updates because Google has to work around your abomination of a combined manufacturer-Android user interface in order to provide an update, less bloatware which makes the phone run faster, etc. You could of course root your phone to get pure Android experience but if you're not interested in doing that then you should just buy a stock Android device.

With the Pixel 3 around the corner I'm sure the Pixel 2 phones are gonna drop not only on eBay but on the Google store itself. Might be able to fetch a good deal directly with Google soon. I can see my Pixel 1 lasting maybe three more years until mobile phone technology at that time makes it virtually obsolete except for basic dialing and texting functions.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY