It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung qled 4k tv
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I just wonder if anyone has one of these tv's that you see advertised most of the time, I just wonder if you do, what's the best cable/satellite setup to have to get the full affect.

I talked to people at best buy, they told me it's really the streaming services for 4k, xfinity doesn't have it and directv has very little unless that's changed, I know on the 4k tv, you can watch some stuff on youtube in it.

Post subject: Re: Samsung qled 4k tv
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
The newest versions of consoles do 4k like the Xbox One x and PS4 pro. Obviously some games are in 4k but also Vudu video has movies in 4k.

My little sister had a 55 in Samsubg 4k. You really notice it on 4k stuff like the Planet Earth series.

Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The 2018 models (Q8) are much better but the price point is still kinda an issue.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Just going to bump this rather than a new thread. Going to retire the 13 year old Bravia today and get a new TV during the sales today or tomorrow.

I have a 60" which is really viewable like 55 maybe? Anyway do to the size of the room we mostly watch I am going to limit myself to 60 and it seems that the best deals lately are on 58 or 65 not true 60. 58ish it is then.

I understand most of it easily enough the HDR seems to be a newer marketing thing as is a 120 something something software trick rather than a true 120 refresh rate to make 60hz seem more palatable? Obviously 4k OLED is the latest but from what I read cable/fios etc are no where near 4k. Only games and maybe blue ray? Are certain models doing a better processing switch up to the lower res or is that the HDR stuff?

Anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, brands, national sales or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The 4K is the thing you want to focus on for next gen. I believe it is only broadcast (rarely) in 60Hz.

If you want to spend more money (maybe around 3K?), you can get an OLED. Those things are beautiful.

But if you want something more reasonable that is still a beautiful picture, you can get a number of brands that are 4K and look very nice. One of the best values is Vizio. It doesn't have all the features of the others, but you can get their M series 65" for like 1,000 bucks, and it's a damn good picture. I got their P series, which is a little higher up but still very reasonably priced.

4K is still few and far between, but it will become more prevalent. Just keep in mind that your source still has to broadcast in 4K. For example, you couldn't take a regular Playstation and watch 4K videos on your TV. It has to be a PS Pro that supports 4K. There is a special 4K HD cable also. The beauty is that the TVs come with apps now, so you can just watch Netflix or Youtube on your TV and get it in 4K as long as the movie or picture itself that you are watching is in 4K.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
The beauty is that the TVs come with apps now, so you can just watch Netflix or Youtube on your TV and get it in 4K as long as the movie or picture itself that you are watching is in 4K.

Most of Amazon and Netflix original series are available in 4k I believe, but I think that's about it at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
pittmike wrote:
Just going to bump this rather than a new thread. Going to retire the 13 year old Bravia today and get a new TV during the sales today or tomorrow.

I have a 60" which is really viewable like 55 maybe? Anyway do to the size of the room we mostly watch I am going to limit myself to 60 and it seems that the best deals lately are on 58 or 65 not true 60. 58ish it is then.

I understand most of it easily enough the HDR seems to be a newer marketing thing as is a 120 something something software trick rather than a true 120 refresh rate to make 60hz seem more palatable? Obviously 4k OLED is the latest but from what I read cable/fios etc are no where near 4k. Only games and maybe blue ray? Are certain models doing a better processing switch up to the lower res or is that the HDR stuff?

Anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, brands, national sales or whatever.

Right, so 4K by itself actually isn't that great, and HDR is where you can really see differences - contrasts really pop. But now there are different levels of HDR. There's "simulated HDR" on the lower models, then HDR10 on most of the rest. DolbyVision HDR is the premium, which some higher end models carry, notably from LG and Sony. Dolby requires a licensing fee, though, and Samsung refuses to play that game, so they're coming out with their own premium HDR, I think HDR10++, or something like that. All Dolby Vision sets will play normal HDR10 if that is all that's available.

As far as availablility - basically games (I'm told, not much of a gamer), Netflix, rentals from Vudu, or UHD blu ray discs. Not everything on Netflix and Vudu is 4k HDR, but most of the newer stuff is.

I have an LG Oled, and while the picture is great, Oleds do have burn-in issues, which I wasn't aware of when I bought it. Mine doesn't seem affected yet, but that shouldn't even be a concern for premium TV. If I had to do it over again, I might go with the Sony 900F series. Not OLED, but still Dolby Vision compatible and a great pictures. Rtings.com is good place for reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 am 

Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The beauty is that the TVs come with apps now, so you can just watch Netflix or Youtube on your TV and get it in 4K as long as the movie or picture itself that you are watching is in 4K.

Most of Amazon and Netflix original series are available in 4k I believe, but I think that's about it at this time.

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 am 

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yes

Vudu too, for people who like to rent movies on demand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am 

It certainly seems many tvs have a lot of apps. Some with Roku and Prime as well as a few others get you on the way to cord cutting pretty easily. One thing I stumbled upon. Can you get the direct tv now thing through the apps and therefore the nfl ticket? Would love that but always thought you had to have the actual satellite dish to get it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
pittmike wrote:
It certainly seems many tvs have a lot of apps. Some with Roku and Prime as well as a few others get you on the way to cord cutting pretty easily. One thing I stumbled upon. Can you get the direct tv now thing through the apps and therefore the nfl ticket? Would love that but always thought you had to have the actual satellite dish to get it.

There is streaming directTV now. No need for satellite.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:50 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

There is streaming directTV now. No need for satellite.

But it is really like just getting Direc TV and no savings over cable right? That is what I thought.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I was thinking about upgrading my Samsung 58" plasma to a bigger screen. How big is too big if it will be mostly regular HDTV (1080p) with a small amount of 4k? I'm thinking anything bigger than 70" might not look good in 1080 but maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:22 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I was thinking about upgrading my Samsung 58" plasma to a bigger screen. How big is too big if it will be mostly regular HDTV (1080p) with a small amount of 4k? I'm thinking anything bigger than 70" might not look good in 1080 but maybe I'm wrong.

How big of a room do you have?

I think mine is actually 70", as we got it at Costco and they sell different models there that aren't available to the public, but I'm not sure. Anyway, if I had to do it again, I might get one slightly smaller. The picture is great, but it's almost too big for the room I have it in. I feel sometimes like I can't get far enough away. I probably wouldn't go above 65 unless you have a really big room you're putting it in. That's just IMO, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:24 pm 

Yeah I think the room makes the size decision.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
leashyourkids wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I think mine is actually 70", as we got it at Costco and they sell different models there that aren't available to the public, but I'm not sure. Anyway, if I had to do it again, I might get one slightly smaller. The picture is great, but it's almost too big for the room I have it in. I feel sometimes like I can't get far enough away. I probably wouldn't go above 65 unless you have a really big room you're putting it in. That's just IMO, though.

The room is about 16x20 (with the shorter dimension being where the TV/couch are). I'm concerned with seeing too much pixelation on 1080 material. I've also seen some newer TVs where the image is sharp but ugly (a "soap opera" effect)...I think that's usually a setting that's on by default but can be turned off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
leashyourkids wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Get a bigger house, you pussy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Get a bigger house, you pussy.

More to clean, amirite!?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

The room is about 16x20 (with the shorter dimension being where the TV/couch are). I'm concerned with seeing too much pixelation on 1080 material. I've also seen some newer TVs where the image is sharp but ugly (a "soap opera" effect)...I think that's usually a setting that's on by default but can be turned off.

If you put it the long ways, you'd probably be fine. The 4K is so sharp, I don't see pixilation. And you can change the settings to get rid of the soap opera effect.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesars
pittmike wrote:

No Sunday ticket or Red zone available through directv now. IMO it's not any better than cable if you are paying full price for the packages and you could probably get their satellite package for the same price or cheaper. If you can get your hands on someone's grandfathered go big package then it's a worth it. If they ever end that discount I'm gone. They used to also do discounts for AT&T wireless customers but not sure if they still do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
About to move into my first house. The only big purchases I want to make is a king size mattress and a really big television. I keep reading OLED is the best but it's a little too pricey if you want to get up to 75 inches. I've come across this tv a number of times:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN82Q60RAFXZA-Flat-QLED-Smart/dp/B07N4M94X4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=82+inch+tv&qid=1577573554&sr=8-3

I've owned quite a few Samsungs over the years and know they're reliable. I guess I should go out to Best Buy or Costco to see how much greater OLED is than the rest of the current technology. With my price range, is a 65 inch OLED worth more to me than an 82/86 inch QLED or LED?

Also, any recommendations on sound bars?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I took a chance on the 6-Series Samsung 65" they've been blowing out for under $500.

https://www.costco.com/.product.9656950 ... ed_product

Not great reviews, but it looks pretty awesome to me. Just fits over the fireplace. Room is about 15" wide. Seems perfect for the distance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I would go with this soundbar in a heartbeat.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-sb36 ... 00-10aag7d

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
GoldenJet wrote:
I took a chance on the 6-Series Samsung 65" they've been blowing out for under $500.

https://www.costco.com/.product.9656950 ... ed_product

Not great reviews, but it looks pretty awesome to me. Just fits over the fireplace. Room is about 15" wide. Seems perfect for the distance.

That looks very nice. I guess you don't want something too big where it overtakes the whole room when it's off. It's amazing how cheap 65 inch+ TVs are now. I understand OLED is king but the best value right now is 65-75 inch non-OLED TVs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I have a few different brands (Visio, Samsung, Sharp). The nice thing about Samsung is they add new apps via updates right away. For example, when Disney Plus launched, Samsung had the app and you just had to download it. On my Sharp or Visio, I have to access some of the apps via the Firestick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Heisenberg wrote:
I have a few different brands (Visio, Samsung, Sharp). The nice thing about Samsung is they add new apps via updates right away. For example, when Disney Plus launched, Samsung had the app and you just had to download it. On my Sharp or Visio, I have to access some of the apps via the Firestick.

Yea I just sold our Vizio. I'd never buy another one. Bad audio and couldn't get Disney plus without a separate streaming device. Bought a Samsung and it's way better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:26 pm 

Get a Samsung Q90.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Douchebag wrote:
Get a Samsung Q90.

Go tankless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:35 pm 

Caller Bob wrote: