It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Home5licE wrote:
Just saw this on twitter...guy made a "UNSC Man Cave"...yeah, I'm jealous...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzTFYBhEu80

No better contraception than that... he may never get laid if the chicas see that room. Toys in boxes are a clear sign to run the other way.

Funny...that video has a shitload of comments similar to this...guy is taking it in stride...of course, it probably helps that he is already married...

...stereotype, fail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Married... hmmmm... to a real live girl or is it some Second Life kinda cutie?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Already getting the pad prepped for the mayhem that will ensue very early Tuesday morning...

...and looks like Metacritic got their hands on the first review...from Game Informer no less...

Any disappointment series fans felt after ODST should be completely washed away thanks to Reach. Make no mistake about it - this is the true follow-up to Halo 3. It's also a perfect way for Bungie to part with the series it turned into a phenomenon. [Oct 2010, p.92]

Score: 9.5

:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:00 am 

i played and finished the first halo, then played halo 2 co-op with my friend but we never got to finish it because he moved. :( yeah i coulda finished it on my own, but it was our thing. in any event, i am kinda excited about this game. i'm sort of into the hype.

never played halo 3 or any of the other stuff that came out; but this looks pretty cool.

halo was the reason i bought an xbox in the first place. brought me back to the good old days of wolfenstein 3-d. but was 1000x better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:41 pm 

No spoilers in this review... thought it was a good reading for someone who isn't quite so familiar with the franchise. I go into this game with hopefully a fresh perspective. I didn't like Halo 3 and I never played ODST. Sounds like I have similar views as this author... and he seemed to like Reach. So I'm doing my best to destroy any pre-conceived notions of this franchise and experience this game with an open mind.

Space Commandos Back at War, With Retooled Combat Gizmos
By SETH SCHIESEL
Published: September 12, 2010

The highest compliment I can pay Halo: Reach, set for release Tuesday for the Xbox 360, is to say that as soon as I finished it, I wanted to return to November 2001 and start the Halo saga all over again.

I wasn’t paying much attention to game consoles back then. I had hunkered down in New York City that difficult autumn with Internet PC games like Diablo II, and when Microsoft introduced the original Xbox that month, the news didn’t really register with me.

But even in my online worlds (consoles were rarely networked back then), I almost immediately heard about Halo: Combat Evolved, the big new science-fiction shooter that Microsoft had released alongside its new game machine. It was immediately obvious that Halo was the Xbox’s killer app: the essential new experience that drives people to buy new technology.

And that was because Halo was the first truly modern first-person shooter on any console. (GoldenEye 007 for the Nintendo 64 was not as advanced.) After years of development on the PC through franchises like Doom, Quake and Unreal, someone had finally figured out how to make a real shooter — an exciting, story-driven one at that — on a living-room console.

So it is fair to say that the entire Xbox franchise would not be the success it is today if not for the Halo series. And yet until now I was never quite a fan. And that is because, I have to admit, that as a PC gaming snob, I have always struggled at some level to take console shooters seriously. And last year’s lackluster Halo 3: ODST cemented my skepticism about the whole Halo experience.

But now Reach has cured me. You could call it “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Halo.” The development studio Bungie invented Halo, but is now leaving it behind after Reach. (Microsoft will retain the brand while Bungie moves on.) For its last go-round with its most famous franchise Bungie has produced a superbly enjoyable science-fiction combat romp.

In my ODST review last year I described Halo as “the consummate middlebrow science-fiction space opera with a lot of fun in the shooting but without much wit or character.” Reach casts the same elements in quite different proportions: the shooting and combat are so much fun and look so attractive that you stop caring about wit or character. You get to run and fly around spectacular virtual environments while firing all manner of high-powered futuristic weapons at computer-controlled aliens or other players online. And you get to do it in style and comfort. What more do you want from a game like this?

Reach is actually set as a prequel to the previous Halo games, so you won’t be seeing or playing as the faceless Master Chief character that has become the series hallmark. Instead, Reach tells the story, in 2552, of the beginning of humanity’s war with the alien species called the Covenant. Instead of Master Chief you play as the even more cipherlike Noble 6, a member of the space commandos called the Spartans (naturally).

The earlier Halo games annoyed me with mawkish dialogue and some loony, over-the-top storytelling. Reach tones down its attempts at emotional connection and finds itself in fewer awkward situations of forced melodrama. Bungie is allowing Reach’s fairly typical cast of characters to fade into the background a bit, which is where they belong. There are moments of self-sacrifice and loss, but Reach doesn’t oversell them. So I found myself stop trying to take them seriously.

Instead I was able to focus my attention in the roughly 10-hour single-player campaign squarely where it belongs — on the slick visuals; the fabulous environment design; the admirably realistic and varied artificial intelligence; and the tight, polished combat mechanics.

If there’s anything I can’t stand in flat-out combat shooters it is tunnels. (A survival-horror-type game is different.) Put me in a tunnel, shooting guys coming at me for more than a minute, and I start to frown.

There are almost no tunnels in Halo: Reach. At its best Reach sets you on one end of fairly open battlefields, with lasers and missiles flying everywhere and humans battling aliens all over the place, and it tells you: Get to the other side. You may have to trip some switches along the way or accomplish some other objective, but the game offers the player a wide range of tactical flexibility in conquering obstacles.

You might prefer a shield or healing power for your armor, or you might choose to project a holographic image to confuse the enemy. Combine such abilities with an assortment of weaponry from shotguns to sniper rifles, as well as enemies who hunt you intelligently, and you have an excellent combat game. And, this being a Halo game, it doesn’t limit you to your feet. Tanks, gun-festooned hovercraft and even small spaceships are yours to command.

I tried only a few matches online in multiplayer mode, but it should almost go without saying — given Bungie’s track record — that the play seemed smooth and the matchmaking options both varied and robust for competitive and cooperative play. Like recent Call of Duty games, Reach will certainly find its real legs online.

After all of these years Bungie finally made a Halo fan out of me. Time to kick back and fry some aliens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
So did Lipid take the rest of the week off for this or what? He is probably knee
deep into this game right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Apparently so is Brent Lillibridge:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5571442

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:

Well, when you look like a fucking hobbit, I suppose standing in line at midnight for Halo is to be expected.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Speaking of looking like a hobbit, I just purchased this game from Glyde.com.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

immessedup17 wrote:
Speaking of looking like a hobbit, I just purchased this game from Glyde.com.

Care to purchase a copy of Oblivion from Glyde.com as well?

Nope. Already sold my copy of Oblivion to Lipid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm 

MUD, i enjoyed reading that. this guy is kinda cut from the same cloth as me. but i did enjoy the plotline of halo 1; didn't really pay much attention to it in halo 2 but i agree that a lot of games have really strained "scripts" with bad dialogue and crappy and predictable storylines.

give me the days of sierra on-line & infocom anyday. those guys were *storytellers* as well as game designers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:18 pm 

I have the game... just got back from my trip to NYC. The wife and I are heading to DMB at Wrigley tonight (free tix from a friend)... I don't think I'll ever get to blast aliens. If you guys see me online tomorrow... shoot me an invite.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
T-Bone wrote:
So did Lipid take the rest of the week off for this or what? He is probably knee
deep into this game right now.

he did the campaign in four hours.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:15 am 

Really enjoying this game. This is still Halo which is good and bad.

The good:
- Beautiful
- Multiplayer modes aplenty
- Forge is still amazing... for people with too much time on their hands
- Armor abilities are a good addition
- Dual wielding is not missed
- Matchmaking heaven
- New guns are nice
- Like the bigger maps
- Love Firefight, Invasion, and co-op
- Music is great

The bad:
- Still a twitch and shooter
- General population of MP is a bunch of foul-mouthed 13 year boys... can't tell you how many times I heard the N word in one night of playing
- Vehicles handling still annoying

The meh:
- Armor abilities are meh... maybe I don't know how to use them well enough, but they don't make each player that unique like your class does in BF:BC. Maybe they do that to even things out
- Story is an improvement, but still meh overall
- Could use destructable environments
- Could use a few more maps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am 
1000 CLUB

My copy should be arriving this week. Looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
- General population of MP is a bunch of foul-mouthed 13 year boys... can't tell you how many times I heard the N word in one night of playing

:shock: didn't realize LIVE was so full of neo nazis. unless you meant Nintendo, which i guess could be considered obscene in some ways... :bom:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 am 

W_Z wrote:

:shock: didn't realize LIVE was so full of neo nazis. unless you meant Nintendo, which i guess could be considered obscene in some ways... :bom:

Top 3 words used on X-Box Live voice chat:
N Word
F Word (Not fuck)
Noob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:06 pm 

I hate it... it's literally the worst thing about Halo. If my kids were doing online gaming, I don't think I'd let them play... and yes, I get the double standard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I hate it... it's literally the worst thing about Halo. If my kids were doing online gaming, I don't think I'd let them play... and yes, I get the double standard.

If you don't let them use the headset, most of that stuff is pretty inaudible over the regular game noise; at least from what I have noticed. I like to egg people on sometimes, because I find the lowest classes of civilization can sometimes amuse me. Other times I just disconnect the headset and play the game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Douchebag wrote:
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:

If you don't let them use the headset, most of that stuff is pretty inaudible over the regular game noise; at least from what I have noticed. I like to egg people on sometimes, because I find the lowest classes of civilization can sometimes amuse me. Other times I just disconnect the headset and play the game.

This. I have been playing Halo 3 with my roomates lately and we just play without the headsets. The thought of 13 year olds swearing at me is not really my cup of tea.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm 

My kids just play the Wii when we play at all. Sometimes they like to play Lego Star Wars or Castle Crashers on the Xbox, but I figure kids need to be out playing rather than being an absolute sloth like their dad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:17 pm 

heh, yeah gamer boys are pretty foul. back in the day it was Doors; PimpWars had quite a lot of four letter words...never the "n" word though, surprisingly...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:42 am 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. I really like this game. I guess that makes me a loser, per shakes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Yeah. I really like this game. I guess that makes me a loser, per shakes.

Dude, he was trying to bait me into posting...although I wouldn't be suprised if he thought it was the MOST OVERRATED GAME EVER...since Uncharted 2, at least.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Reach...I'm guesing you are talking more so abou the multiplayer, because it looked like you spent a whole 15 minutes or so in campaign... :lol: ...shoot me an invite if you feel like making 12 year olds cry...