It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Oh this is great... and you had me at Red Faction: Guerilla!! Glad to see someone else thought it was good too.

My roomate got this game and we have been playing the crap out of it for the past month or so. Something very cathartic about taking a sledgehammer to a giant building.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Phil McCracken wrote:
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Oh this is great... and you had me at Red Faction: Guerilla!! Glad to see someone else thought it was good too.

My roomate got this game and we have been playing the crap out of it for the past month or so. Something very cathartic about taking a sledgehammer to a giant building.

I ended up selling it... now I have seller's remorse. I was actually thinking of buying it back now... yes, I'm a ritard.

next game looks pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLcoH1PNTw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
c'mon lipid! we want (or at least I want) your next 5!!!

James Bond, right before he shoved a drill into Elliot Carver's face, wrote:
Don't you know the first rule of mass media, Elliot? Give the people what they want!

Not wanting Mud to get all 007 on me, here's 16-20...

-----

16) Rock Band 2 – More akin to an update than a new game, Rock Band 2 took the experience of the original and did some minor tweaking to make things even better. The integration of the tour modes with online support meant you could play any combination of solo or band, whether you are in the same room or halfway across the globe. A set list that featured all originals was a welcome change from previous cover laden music games.

17) Shadow Complex – The gameplay is very reminiscent of side scrolling shooters from the eighties, with some exploration thrown in for good measure. The progression as you slowly work your way up to a death dealing badass is rewarding, especially once you unlock the full complement of armor and weaponry. Other than the weak story, this game is a triple A title in Arcade game’s clothing.

18) Halo Wars – A stripped down RTS made from the ground up for the 360, Halo Wars lacks the depth that other titles in the genre offer. However, this simplicity makes it not only playable but enjoyable. Everything can be done with no more than a couple pushes of a button, meaning you can focus on commanding your units instead of trying to navigate countless menus. Only gripe is the inconsistencies created by the story, but only hardcore Halo fans will notice these.

19) Battlefield: Bad Company – I definitely enjoyed the progression that multiplayer provided, but I really dug this game for the campaign. The story is a fresh alternative to the doom and gloom found in virtually every other shooter, and the destructive environments made each play through feel a bit different.

20) Borderlands – While this certainly wasn’t the first time a FPS and RPG made sweet love to each other, it was definitely a unique experience, both in gameplay and presentation. The multiplayer component that let you play cooperatively one moment and competitively the next was a nice touch, even though I found myself mostly going solo in this.

-----

I might, just might, get the next five done tonight...depends on how shitty the football game is...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 am 

I need to give Halo Wars a chance. RTS are games I like to play with people I know... unfortunately all my peeps are FPS guys... can't get a RTS game going if I tried. Universe at War was a good/great RTS, but could never find folks to play consistently... and playing a RTS game with the General Population is a fate worse than death.

REALLY surprised (and very pleasantly, mind you) you put BFBC1 on there. You hit it spot on... taking a "light" take on this war stuff is kinda refreshing. Its kinda nice when they don't take themselves too seriously. For me it was all about destructive environments. Playing a FPS where you can affect the map is the future of this genre. BFBC1 did it well, but this will only get better over time.

Loved your summary of Borderlands. You got a gift for words... "FPS and RPG made sweet love"... Too me, Borderlands comic look with a campy theme really is pleasant. Are we officially getting burned out on post-apocalyptic video games? Fallout 3, Borderlands, Rage? Rage is gonna be sweet, btw.

Thanks, Lipid... keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:22 am 

11-15...shit is getting real...

-----

11) Bioshock – The shooting gameplay mixed with a touch of RPG elements was near perfect, giving a decent amount of leveling options to go with the many weapons, ammo and plasmid combinations. The greatest feature, by far, was the setting. Rapture, with its steam punk sixties atmosphere, might be the most amazing space I’ve ever played a game in. I just wish the linearity of the game wouldn’t have kept me from going back to see more.

12) Mass Effect 2 – Very different from its predecessor, the formula for the RPG/Shooter mix was tweaked greatly, much to my disappointment but seemingly everyone else’s joy. However, that gripe aside, the storytelling was just as good as the first one, and seeing Bioware follow through on the promise to make your decisions in the first game matter was very rewarding. DLC support has been better than the prior entry, adding new missions and characters.

13) Fable 2 – A great game on so many levels, the gameplay is simple, allowing you to perform many different attacks and spells at the push of a single button. The storytelling is subtle about references to the previous game, which was especially nice for someone who didn’t play the first game. Finally, the dog just might be the best NPC ally ever. He helps you fight, finds treasure, and alerts you of danger, all without any direction from the player.

14) Gears of War 2 – While the gameplay was largely untouched from the original, new weapons and a new hostage mechanic were welcome additions. Multiplayer added matchmaking and an experience system, while Horde gave the ability to kill wave after wave of the Locust horde with up to four friends. Naturally, not having four friends, I didn’t enjoy it so much.

15) Halo 3 ODST - Originally planned as an expansion, ODST featured a shorter campaign than previous entries. However, while the missions were not as epic as prior entries, the visuals and music are just as good, if not better. Competitive multiplayer was a complete carryover from Halo 3, while cooperative multiplayer got a shot in the arm with the new Firefight mode, which added the skulls from campaign to ratchet up the difficulty each wave.

-----

Holiday weekend...definately will be seeing the next five sometime before Tuesday...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
What, no more Rockband games? :P

Pretty interesting stuff, considering I've only played three of the games on your list thus far, it's nice getting a few sentences on why they're worth playing...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 am 

crosscheck wrote:
What, no more Rockband games? :P

Oh, there's still one more...

Hint: it's not Green Day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:22 pm 

6 through 10...this is where it was really hard to pick an order, given that all are great games...anyways...

-----

6) The Orange Box – Half Life 2 and the episodes were a real treat for those of us who didn’t experience them on the PC, and while Team Fortress 2 didn’t live up to the hype, it was a serviceable multiplayer option. The real gem in this package, however, is Portal. Somehow they combined the puzzle, platform and FPS genres and not only made it work, but made it fun.

7) Rock Band – Featuring an impressive set list that was made up of mostly originals, Rock Band made the transition from guitars only to full band with bass, drums and vocals. Trading in the cartoonish styling of their previous games for a more realistic look, Harmonix created an experience that you could lose yourself in. Never have I had as much fun with three other people playing a game that didn’t involve us trying to kill each other.

8 ) Modern Warfare 2 – The additions made to attachments, perks and kill streaks were definitely welcome, but otherwise the multiplayer is pretty much the same from the previous installment. Campaign is a brief but action packed adventure, full of the variety that Infinity Ward promised. Spec Ops takes many of the missions from the campaign of the series and tweaks them for an enjoyable two player experience.

9) Fallout 3 – Based on the same engine as Oblivion, it’s easy to draw comparisons to Bethesda’s previous game. However, after spending a little time exploring the Capitol Wasteland, it is clear this game can stand on its own two feet. By using the VATS, a bit of strategy is added to what would otherwise be straight up FPS gameplay. In addition, the leveling options are abundant, making each play through unique.

10) Gears of War – While the graphics and gameplay may seem a bit dated compared to the sequel, Gears takes a backseat to no one when it comes to featuring some of the best encounters in any game. The game also gets bonus points for featuring some of the best weaponry in any shooter. Finding a good match in multiplayer proved to be a chore, but once in the experience was an enjoyable one.

-----

All that is left now is the top five...not sure if I'll blow my load all at once or release them one by one...depends on how much I want to write about each...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:23 am 

Not sure I agree with GoW mutliplayer comment. I found gettin' a game in GoW was pretty easy... finding one in GoW2 was an absolute biatch for a good 2 months as I recall.

Keep it coming, lipidhomes! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:56 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Not sure I agree with GoW mutliplayer comment. I found gettin' a game in GoW was pretty easy... finding one in GoW2 was an absolute biatch for a good 2 months as I recall.

Keep it coming, lipidhomes! :D

Finding a game in Gears of War: easy

Finding a game in Gears of War that didn't involve people boosting for achievements and sitting idle at the lobby because no one wanted to move their name over to the side opposite the host: I'd sooner get laid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:19 pm 

Honestly I had forgotten about this...had 4 and 5 mostly written up so decided just to post those for now...

-----

4) Mass Effect – An epic RPG giving you the opportunity to let the story unfold the way you want it to. The dialogue system made it easy to spends hours just talking to people, gathering information about missions and the happenings in the galaxy. Coupled with the karma system, which lets you choose which kind of person you are going to be, and the game has a great deal of replay value. Finally, the fact that the decisions you make carry over to the rest of the trilogy makes it feel like what you do really matters.

5) Grand Theft Auto 4 – True to the form of the previous games in the series, I spent more time just driving around and soaking up Liberty City than playing the missions. The detail that was put into each section of the city was amazing. Like previous titles, each time a new section of the city was made available for exploration, it was like Christmas morning. However, unlike previous entries in the series, the story is hardly a throwaway. As the game progresses, I began to find myself actually caring what was happening to the characters, which made the way the game’s final missions played out all that more interesting.

-----

The final three are probably going to get a bit more on them...lots I have to say about each...and I'm still torn about which game goes where...