It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video games take me back
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I had a buddy in town last weekend who I haven't seen in a couple years. In college ('95-'96), we were roommates with another buddy. We studied hard and played hard, but in the downtime at the apartment we'd play the SEGA Genesis. '94 NHL Hockey and Madden Football were the staples.

Flash forward to last weekend. My buddy is working for the State Department working with the ambassador to Algeria. Pretty interesting stuff. The dude is now a father just like me. After putting the kids down to sleep (he brought his 18 month old), we broke out the NCAA 2011. It was just like old times. Despite the fact that things in our lives had changed so much, video games allowed us to regress!

My favorite was the smack talking:
Friend "Ouch that had to hurt... Love that Quick Slant."
Me "You run the same fucking play every time!"
Friend "I'll stop running it when you start defending it"
Me "How about a pick six right now?"
Friend "Whatever dude. Guess What? Quick Slant coming at ya."
Me "FUUUUUUCK! I think my controller is broke"
Friend "I think you're team is broke... you're going to get relegated to the FBS just like an English soccer team"
Me "I miss this... But you're still a douchebag."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I just found my old genesis and the only game I can find is I think 1994 madden (the one with montana in a kc jersey on the cover). I always enjoyed running ever kick back for a td or scoring once and hitting all those buttons as the play clock expired in order to keep a running clock going until the end of the quarter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
It's amazing how finding a game from your not that long ago youth brings one back to a simpler time. Mine is the original Syphon Filter. As much as I play nothing but NCAA 11 and soon NHL 11, I downloaded this last week, and has really helped bring be back to less stressful times (blowing shit up doesn't hurt).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:18 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Syphon Filter was the shit.

Yeah, that's all I got.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Syphon Filter was the shit.

Yeah, that's all I got.

I can honestly say that those 3 games were probably my favorite on the PSOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Excellent topic...my buddy from college who I used to play Halo with all the time drove into town for the midnight release and we stayed up to play the campaign, shoot the shit, and eat large quantities of junk food...for at least one day, I felt like I was back in the dorms...good times...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:03 pm 

when i was a kid a friend of mine and i had hours of entertainment thanks to "guerilla war" for NES. that was one of the best co-op games ever; better than "ikari warriors", i think. not better than "contra", but...pretty pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's

... my copy is within arms reach to my left as type ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Madden and NWO/WCW revenge were the 2 games I played the most my one year in the dorms at EIU. The WCW game we would stay up til about 4am playing this game, wake up at 8 for class and than go back to bed and play pretty much all day until it was time to start drinking. We werent smart enough to buy it, we just rented the game the whole year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I remember coming home for lunch in grade school just to play Punch-out for a few minutes on my NES. After school, with friends, we'd play T & C Surf Design, which was 1/2 skating and 1/2 surfboarding. Tony Hawk had nuthin on that game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:27 am 

KDdidit wrote:
I remember coming home for lunch in grade school just to play Punch-out for a few minutes on my NES. After school, with friends, we'd play T & C Surf Design, which was 1/2 skating and 1/2 surfboarding. Tony Hawk had nuthin on that game.

T & C surf design. Holy shit I thought I was the only one that ever played that

Some old favs of mine that Im not sure anyone else besides me ever played for Nintendo:

Dodgeball
Elevator Action
Kung Fu
10 Yard fight
Pro Wrestling
Tag Team Pro Wrestling
Arch Rivals
RC Pro Am
WWF Wrestlemania

God I spent alot of time playing these games

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 am 

RC pro am was a must, and i did play elevator action. that had the greatest name for a game of all time.

i also played wrestlemania and kung fu. and arch rivals.

i really enjoyed california games. surfing was really tough but i always laughed when the guy would get eaten by the shark.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I played a fair amount of 10 yard fight. there was also a great game for the computer called 4th and inches.

We would play Sports Talk Baseball and Sonic on Sega in college...that and serious quantities of Mario Cart on SNES.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:37 am 

Blades of Steel, Double Dribble, PAPERBOY, Ninja Gaiden, TETRIS, Contra, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers 3,

God I remember owning all these games. I would say overall I probably owned 50 or so Nintendo games as a kid. Man thank God I was only child as I probably wouldnt have been able to get half of these.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:43 am 

ninja gaiden was good but 2 was even better. hard as shit.

i didn't own that many games. i rented them like crazy. and i ALWAYS fell for the LJN garbage. "x-men", "friday the 13th", "back to the future"...i never learned.

i remember staying up all night to play the entire "Robin hood" game; and i remember trying to beat "metal gear" but i gave up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's
Wow this thread lacks :).

I see a lot of good games but a few are missing....

NES:
Chip N Dales Rescue Rangers - Fat Cat....I hated you!
Kid Icarus
Pitfall
TMNT
Metroid
Double Dragon & Battletoads/Dbl Dragon
Legend of Kage
T & C Surf - Love me some, I always sucked at the surfing part :-/
Zelda
Castelvania
Wrecking Crew
Section Z

SEGA:
Shinobi - good tunes for this game and I love throwing ninja stars! :)

SNES:
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Wrestling game I played with Eric

Jaguar:
Alien v Predator - this is THE best version of this game, none of the others compare!

PSX:
Heavy Metal!!!!!!!!

I know I could just continue to list off games but these were the ones I spent too much time playing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 am 

november wrote:

there have been threads in the past that mentioned a bunch of those games. you get to a point where you gotta start mentioning the more obscure ones sometime. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
This T & C Surf sounded familiar so I had to google it...I definitely remember playing it, and I remember hating it. :twisted:

The skating part of T&C was alright, the surfing part sucked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Back to a much simpler time= Pong

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's
W_Z wrote:
november wrote:

there have been threads in the past that mentioned a bunch of those games. you get to a point where you gotta start mentioning the more obscure ones sometime. :wink:

I did, Pitfall, Section Z, Wrecking Crew, Kage

I couldn't find these when searching.

Oh and there's Maniac Mansion....but that was on commodore 64

immessedup17 wrote:
This T & C Surf sounded familiar so I had to google it...I definitely remember playing it, and I remember hating it. :twisted:

burrito

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Back to a much simpler time= Pong

What's that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:38 pm 

november wrote:

I couldn't find these when searching.

pitfall's been mentioned before. not in this section, though. in the general discussion section a while back, someone brought up favorite games playing through childhood (may have been pre-gamers attic section creation).

i'm just giving you some shit. legend of kage was a fantastic game, and i loved the music too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
INTELLIVSION BASEBALL!

We would play 40 inning games, that the only way you could win was get on with your first batter on a bunt and score on the last batter before the 3rd out was made. We just got so good at it, that it was no hitter v no hiiter. Tons of pressure of every batter.

Would play $1 per inning over 9 for the winner, get stoned all night and order pizza. Welcome to freshman year high school! Ahhhhh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
bigfan wrote:
INTELLIVSION BASEBALL!

We would play 40 inning games, that the only way you could win was get on with your first batter on a bunt and score on the last batter before the 3rd out was made. We just got so good at it, that it was no hitter v no hiiter. Tons of pressure of every batter.

Would play $1 per inning over 9 for the winner, get stoned all night and order pizza. Welcome to freshman year high school! Ahhhhh

If we're going back to intellivision I'm going with the intellivoice module games, Bomb Squad and Space Spartans. I can always hear "Mattel electronics presents...Space Spartans" and "The code, the code, figure out the code."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:40 pm 

my friend and i would have pretty good games of "utopia". he would always win but it was still fun.

i'd make up for it by beating him at "boxing" all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 pm 

My dorm floor had a game of choice, but I can't remember the exact name. It was NCAA football for sega and it had every Div. 1 team. It may have been the first one, because I know we thought it was crazy to be able to pick from all the teams.

Lots of beer drank (and classes missed) as 5 or 6 of us played seasons with each guy having his own team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
First job out of college my roommate and I would work our 12hr shifts, drive 75
minutes home and play a 3 game series of RBI Baseball each night. Good times.
The trash talking started about 30 minutes from home each night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i remember my thumb hurting from super bases loaded. for some reason the bases loaded series fell off after the initial game on both the NES and SNES, tho especially nintendo... the graphics actually got worse after the first game... they must have fired the original development house.

i just saw a youtube video of super bases loaded right before i noticed this thread, actually, and holy shit did it it take me back. i used to kick ass at that game and i remember the epic battles decided by teh CPU when you'd see the ball slowly rise off of the bat and you'd be like NO NO NO FUCK THIS OH NO.

obviously nhl94 on genesis goes without saying, and later on madden... oh yeah madden. i think one of the nhl faceoff games caused my friend to crack the screen on his tv cuz i executed a 5 on 3 penalty kill by skating figure 8s around his guys and he was just THAT'S BULLSHIT, PLAY THE GAME and i'm like I AM and he's like NO TRY TO SCORE and i'm like OK GIVE ME A MINUTE HERE.

stoned madden on the playstation was where it's at... with my most frequent opponent/victim/friend i had to let him have all time packers or an all madden squad to play me if i had vick or mcnabb, cuz i would fuck his little world up with a mobile qb. it was all about his linebackers... send them at me and i've got an open pass. send them back in coverage and i've got a 10-15 yard run. pick your poison. oh and the 1998 49ers allowed me to take him on with any damn team in the game... steve young was mobile enough and TO/rice was fuckin yeah. 98 vikings get an honorable mention for when i wasn't allowed to have qb mobility and "play right" =D