When Sony was king...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1130554p1.html

Post subject: Re: Ten Years Ago
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
When was Sofa King?

I'm so living in the past. Last game system I purchased was a PS2. :oops:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
I was so blown away when I bought my PS2. I remember taking a week off work so I could rot on my couch smoking weed and playing games all day

I love all 3 consoles equally but XBox has been king for a long time now

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
When was Sofa King?

Same here. I think the last game I got was either GOW II: Electric Boogaloo or Final Fantasy XII,000,000.

Seriously, I am thinking really hard about getting a PS3 for myself for Xmas. I really want to get the latest GOW and FF games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Snagged one on launch day. I was working as a seasonal employee at Eb at a mall. Some guy had prepaid for his and a girlfriend had also bought one, he came in and got a refund and bought some games. Manager wanted to know if I wanted to buy it, I said, why not. I just remember the launch games were a little weak, bought Timesplitters and the golf game. Brought it home, hooked it up and played all night.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:13 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
immessedup17 wrote:
Still is king when you have franchises like God of War, Infamous, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, MLB: The Show, Team Ico, etc...

:lol:

And yet, with all those great franchises, they are still neck and neck with the inferior Xbox 360 while the Wii has spanked both of them...

Sorry...that's a pretender to the throne...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
immessedup17 wrote:
Wii and XBox appeal to the younger crowds...the parent's don't know better. Wii has replaced toys for kids...and XBox has replaced social interaction for teens. They sell so much because parents need to keep their kids happy.

;) Challenge. Regardless of what's better, I think Microsoft out maneuvered Sony big time. Microsoft was first to market. They were first to integrate other technology platforms (i.e., Netflix and Facebook). And they successfully identified and marketed key exclusive titles like Halo and Gears. I'm not trying to argue that Xbox 360 is better... but it's pretty clear to me that there were some key business moves by Microsoft that contributed to its success.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:50 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
The only things I remain seeing are "I am dedicated to XBox because that's what all my friends play."

I think the reason why alot of these guys play is because of the business moves that Microsoft made... not the least of which was their decision to launch almost a year earlier than PS3. We're kinda arguing the same point.

And I do like the Xbox controller more... silly, but I do think its a bit more substantial.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
The only things I remain seeing are "I am dedicated to XBox because that's what all my friends play."
I have yet to see any reason why someone who has an xbox would switch. I already have a blu ray player and there are more than enough games for me to play on xbox that I don't care about missing them.

Xbox won this generation for a reason. It wasn't just luck. It was the better choice for a long time and if anything it's equal now. No reason to switch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
To be completely honest, the argument of what's better, X-Box or PS3 is about as winnable on either side as the standard basketball or hockey debate.

Each side can site specs, or sales figures, or whatever, but that will not sway either side.

As a PS3 owner, I have never played anything on an X-Box 360. Bought it when I was still married, we had the X-Box or PS debate (the ex was more of a gamer than I am-I really just play the sports games, and occassionally massacre zombies). When it came down to it, the price was approximately the same, we went with the PS3 because it had the blu-ray player, and because we each had a PS exclusive title we wanted to go with (mine was The Show, hers was that Uncharted game).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

same here, dude. in fact i think either my ps2 or the power cord has died, as i went to fire it up to get in a little virtual on marz and it didn't work... it was the first time in ~1yr that i had the urge to play video games and alas my ps2 was dead.

that was god's way of telling me to hook up the saturn and jam out on some x-men vs streetfighter and/or marvel superheroes vs streetfighter. the 4mb pro action replay handles the 4mb ram cart and the imports.... and then, you know, gotta dust off radiant silvergun every once in awhile.

i've had a strange urge to bust out the NES cuz i came across a couple'a mint NES max controllers and seeing punch out for a few mins on some youtube video had me fiending... but yeah, remember sony only became king because nintendo backed out of the SNES CD addon when they saw the sega CD flop, thus creating their own worst enemy =D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 am 

I was actually thinking of picking up a Sega Genesis on Ebay and throwing in the NHL '93. I friggin' loved that game. JEREMY ROENICK IS BLEEDING ON THE ICE FROM A CHECK BY RAY BOURKE!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
I've always thought the arguments about which consoles are better. Although I feel xbox is the better machine I also like ps3 and wii as much as I like xbox. For the most part I buy most games for xbox but the exclusive games for both are reasons I like all consoles equally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Wii and XBox appeal to the younger crowds...the parent's don't know better. Wii has replaced toys for kids...and XBox has replaced social interaction for teens. They sell so much because parents need to keep their kids happy.

Playstation 3, well, Kevin Butler has a better way with words than I...

I'm not going to disagree with anything you said there...partly because it's true and partly because I don't have the energy...

...that being said, it hardly disputes the fact that Sony isn't top dog anymore...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:11 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
I can't dispute Xbox sales numbers or the amount of fanboys. But I can tell you that once someone plays both for extended periods of time, in my experience, they lean towards the Playstation.

As for this...no...just, no...

I've given the PS3 plenty of chances to win me over...even bought a few multi-platform games for it just to get more use out of it...just never got the feeling you describe above.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I was actually thinking of picking up a Sega Genesis on Ebay and throwing in the NHL '93. I friggin' loved that game. JEREMY ROENICK IS BLEEDING ON THE ICE FROM A CHECK BY RAY BOURKE!!!!!

My buddy ended up getting something that was like a controller with both NHL and Madden 95 on it. For the 10 bucks he spent it was a good investment. We only played multiplayer so I don't know if you could save the data from a season on there or what though.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Phil McCracken wrote:
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:

My buddy ended up getting something that was like a controller with both NHL and Madden 95 on it. For the 10 bucks he spent it was a good investment. We only played multiplayer so I don't know if you could save the data from a season on there or what though.

:shock: I need that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm 

the sega genesis still holds up. playing mortal kombat on that thing is just like the arcade IMO. damn did that thing make the most of 16 bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
W_Z wrote:
the sega genesis still holds up. playing mortal kombat on that thing is just like the arcade IMO. damn did that thing make the most of 16 bit.

WISE FWOM YOU GWAVE! Altered Beast was the shit at the arcade and on Genesis it was just shit. Still played it a ton. There was some robot football game I loved for Genesis where you'd win money every week playing and you could buy better robots for the next week. Eventually they'd all blow up an you'd be back down to your stock team uess you had extra cash to buy the better ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 am 

Only problem with that plug and play thing is it is only one player. They make a two player Madden football version. But be honest, half of the fun with NHL was shit talking with your friend that you just scored a goal on. MOGILNY SCORES ON EDDIE BELFOUR!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Only problem with that plug and play thing is it is only one player. They make a two player Madden football version. But be honest, half of the fun with NHL was shit talking with your friend that you just scored a goal on. MOGILNY SCORES ON EDDIE BELFOUR!!!!!

There is a controller port on the one so if you have a Genesis controller laying around you can play 2player FWIW

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:30 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
WISE FWOM YOU GWAVE! Altered Beast was the shit at the arcade and on Genesis it was just shit. Still played it a ton. There was some robot football game I loved for Genesis where you'd win money every week playing and you could buy better robots for the next week. Eventually they'd all blow up an you'd be back down to your stock team uess you had extra cash to buy the better ones.

i never played it on the genesis. i actually hated that freakin' game. i was more into "golden axe" and "gauntlet" for that style.

i'm gonna start a thread about favorite arcade games now.