It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I didn't care for any of those multiplayers besides Uncharted. That Tomb Raider multiplayer, my god, what an abomination.

I see what you're saying though. I'll give this game a go in a few days. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 am 

I heard you can look or hear through walls or something but it was either on Hard or the difficulty above it that they take that option away which makes the game twice as difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
immessedup17 wrote:
Beat it. Probably took me 17 or so hours.

Fucking Clickers.

I'm definitely going to be picking up a PS3 in the near future, pretty much for this game and a bunch of their exclusives. Amazon has some pretty good bundles on display.

Question: Concerning the PS3 Slim, can you swap out 3rd party HD's like you could with the original model?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Question: Concerning the PS3 Slim, can you swap out 3rd party HD's like you could with the original model?

Indeed you can.

My.......guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:19 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
New Deadpool game blows.

Not a surprise. I know some of you were looking forward to it...for some reason?

Because Deadpool is the goods?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
SomeGuy wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
New Deadpool game blows.

Not a surprise. I know some of you were looking forward to it...for some reason?

Because Deadpool is the goods?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
immessedup17 wrote:
New Deadpool game blows.

Reviews look average.

http://kotaku.com/deadpool-the-kotaku-review-569351470

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/deadpool-review

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:51 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
New Deadpool game blows.

Reviews look average.

http://kotaku.com/deadpool-the-kotaku-review-569351470

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/deadpool-review

There is that absolutist hyperbole, again.

It has a 65 on Metacritic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:28 pm 

Just finished Last of Us twice. Once on easy, once on survivor. It's a great game but man is it depressing. It's neat to see Naughty Dog go from a more light hearted, funny tone in Uncharted to a serious business, everything sucks and we're all gonna die tone in Last of Us. Clickers and the Infected are pretty easy to deal with, they're literally brain dead. The humans can be a bitch trying to stealth by on easy, let alone survivor. Survivor was challenging with limited supplies and no listen mode but I managed to get through it with repetition. The story is wonderful, voice acting is top notch and the game is great looking, as expected from Naughty Dog. A must buy for anyone with a Ps3. Yet to try online.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:25 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
http://kotaku.com/trickle-of-grand-theft-auto-v-news-reveals-mandatory-8-645553942?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

All games should have mandatory 8GB installs. This shouldn't be a story.

What if they don't require an 8GB install?

EDIT: I see what you're saying, though. I wouldn't mind an option to actual install the game if the game was designed for it and it was beneficial for performance. An actual install, not just ripping an .iso file to the HD like the 360 has the option of doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sucks for people with stock HDs who never clean them off. Glad I put in a 500 on my PS3. It does kinda suck waiting for games to install when you first take them out of the case, but you get the time back sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
http://kotaku.com/trickle-of-grand-theft-auto-v-news-reveals-mandatory-8-645553942?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

All games should have mandatory 8GB installs. This shouldn't be a story.

What if they don't require an 8GB install?

EDIT: I see what you're saying, though. I wouldn't mind an option to actual install the game if the game was designed for it and it was beneficial for performance. An actual install, not just ripping an .iso file to the HD like the 360 has the option of doing.

A game that reads most of its data from a HDD or SSD / flash drive will perform better than if it has to read most from an optical drive. It wouldn't suddenly become a PC game in quality...but it definitely helps in the loading and processing departments.

I think complaints about MGS4 caused installs from becoming mandatory across the board (on PS3 at least. HD limitations caused the issue with XBox.) The problem with MGS4 is probably how it installed in spurts rather than all at once.

Games like MGS4, among others, had mandatory installation due to the Blu-Ray drives slow data transfer rate. MGS4 installed in spurs because the drive was to slow to stream, so the data had to be loaded onto the HD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Games like MGS4, among others, had mandatory installation due to the Blu-Ray drives slow data transfer rate. MGS4 installed in spurs because the drive was to slow to stream, so the data had to be loaded onto the HD.

You have some of your details wrong.

Blu-Ray data read speeds are vastly superior to the old CD-ROM and DVD-ROM read speeds...they fall short of HDD speeds...but they are extremely close. HDD also has a minor seek time advantage.

Speaking of details....

What drive speeds are you using for comparison?

PS3 has 2x BR drive good for 9MB/s

A standard 12x DVD-ROM drive, like an 360's, is good for around 16.

After that 2x it steadily passes DVD data transfer rates, by a large margin. But a 12x Blu Ray drive isn't what was being compared.

And concerning MGS4 and installs....why do you think the game required the install in the first place?

Last edited by SomeGuy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
All I care about is GTAV. I look forward to the future complaints from my GF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

You have some of your details wrong.

Blu-Ray data read speeds are vastly superior to the old CD-ROM and DVD-ROM read speeds...they fall short of HDD speeds...but they are extremely close. HDD also has a minor seek time advantage.

Speaking of details....

What drive speeds are you using for comparison?

After that 2x it steadily passes DVD data transfer rates, by a large margin. But a 12x Blu Ray drive isn't what was being compared.

And concerning MGS4 and installs....why do you think the game required the install in the first place?

You're mistaking MB/s and Mbps (or Mb/s).

BR 1x is 36 Mb/s... 2x (the standard) is 72 Mb/s. The PS3 is 2x, you are correct.

The read speed of your average 5400 RPM hard drive is anywhere from 50 Mb/s to 100 Mb/s. I do not know the exact OEM PS3 HDD...but it is a 5400 RPM hard drive. Modern 7200 RPM hard drives read about 80Mb/s to 120 Mb/s.

Have some fun reading.

Uh, you do know that 72Mb/s is equal to 9MB/s.....right? That's pretty basic stuff. You can measure the data transfer rates anyway you'd like.

8 bits = 1 byte or 1Mb = .125MB.

The PS3 HDD is 5400RPM, that's correct, but is connected to a SATA-1 controller which is limited to up yp 1.5Gb/s (there's that small 'b' again!) but then that roughly translates into about 150MB/s. Not Mb/s.

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

But, then again, you're the technical wizard in this forum, not I.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
So I hear Diablo 3 is coming to XBOX 360?
Darky wanty.

Also, how hard is installing a new hard drive and tranferring the data? consider that I am a moron in your assessment.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 pm 

I felt like Far Cry 3 was slightly overrated. The game sure does look nice and most of the missions are fun but it just felt like something I've already played so many times before and I found myself crawling to the finish line. The online co-op was fun, but got old and repetitive quick.

I enjoyed their Blood Dragon DLC a lot more than the actual game although if that was a full scale game I would of got tired of that too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
So if you know that...how or why do you think DVD-ROM's are faster? Bad information? Because they are certainly not faster.

No, not bad information, the information I provided was correct. I think you just got confused over the details of MB/s and Mb/s. The discussion was about data transfer speeds of the BR drive on a PS3 or thereabouts and the reason for mandatory installs. A 12x DVD-ROM drive is faster than a 2x BR Drive in the PS3. BR speeds above 2x are faster than anything DVDs can put out. The slow data rate of a 2x BR drive in the Ps3 is a large reason for the mandatory installs. That's it as I'm pretty sure that was the extent of the argument. I wasn't speaking in generalities, just a 2x BR vs the 12x in a 360.

SomeGuy wrote:

imessedup69 wrote:
Because I've said that from the get go. What I'm trying to say is that the difference is minute. The PS3 5400 RPM hard drive won't approach the speeds SATA interface are capable of. The bottleneck is the drive...not the interface. The BD-ROM uses the same SATA interface by the way.

That sounds right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
What is this re-release you speak of? What the hell is steam?

I hope your answer is something I can access from my Xbox and not something I need an awesome gaming computer to run...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:38 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
http://kotaku.com/100-things-you-might-not-know-about-final-fantasy-vii-706041724?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Quote:
In honor of Final Fantasy VII's recent Steam re-release, here's a video by YouTuber NEroNeRoNerON exploring some trivia from Square's classic RPG.

Some of these factoids are a little silly—yes, if you park the airship on an island, fly a gold chocobo across the water, and then release the chocobo, you'll lose access to your airship. Many of them seem to be based on hacks or glitches, too.

But others are fascinating: that Sephiroth glove thing is going to bother me any time I replay the game now. And who knew you could skip all of the return to Midgar?

Cool info but isn't this version of FF7 just the crappy PC release from way back when, horrible music and all?

I'll keep my original PS1 copy close until they release a proper HD remake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:19 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

I just came. If this isn't the best game ever made it'll be a dissapointment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Assassin's Creed: Black Flag has a new 7-minute (Chopped & Screwed) gameplay trailer on their Facebook.

AC has kinda lost me after the third.

I enjoyed 2 and its quasi sequels enough to overlook the shortcomings but 3 just wore me down. It had its stellar moments but there was plenty of filler and some bad/janky mechanics.

If the story and such actually made me give a shit about crafting/trading/homestead I would have done those things....but I just didn't give a shit and raced to the end of the game with its lame cliffhanger ending. The assassin was also a bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:47 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
The Homestead was my favorite part of the game. I believe most people feel that way. I didn't "give a shit" about its characters or anything...but it gave you a solid sense of progression and accomplishment. They could have increased the importance and variety of its missions...but the concept had a solid foundation. It seems Black Flag is going to try to make people care about the "sandbox" activities more by tying them into the main storyline and main gameplay.

At least...that is what they are stressing in the gameplay trailer.

I enjoyed those "sandbox" things in AC2, quite a bit as they were tied to the main quest a bit more.

AC3 just felt like a slog, I stopped the homestead thing pretty early.

Oh, and that final chase scene? Fuck that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Oh, and that final chase scene? Fuck that.

Agreed. I don't understand why so many games still feel the need for a conventional or unconventional "end game boss" situation.

VERY VERY MINOR THE LAST OF US SPOILER:

The Last of Us was a perfect example of it not being needed.

It was just bad, you didn't even fight him...you kinda tackled him and then you followed him...

The chase was also horribly constructed and frustrating as hell. There is trial and error and then madness. AC3 was the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Diablo III will be out on XBOX 360 soon. I'm in.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Play UC:3. It MIGHT be my favorite game of all time. Top 5 for sure.

Never played FFXII, been sitting on my shelf for a long damn time. Worth getting into?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:25 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Also, I'm replaying the Uncharted series through (as I've never played 3 and it has been so long since I've played the first two) and it has helped me further realize how much better of a game Tomb Raider is. I mean...they are almost the same type of game...but Tomb Raider is better in every way. Shooting mechanics, level layout, variety of abilities, skill customization, voice acting / motion capture.

I cannot compare graphics because I haven't seen Uncharted 3 run yet...and I played Tomb Raider on PC.

I think the Uncharted series is better. Tomb Raider simply took elements from all the other successful action/adventure games and retooled them as their own. There are no fresh, innovative ideas in the game.

I did love every second of Tomb Raider and it is a great game and a great reboot for a series that desperately needed one. I would recommend it to anyone who loves games. With that said though, 10 years from now it won't ever be discussed as one of the best games of this generation, while Uncharted will always be the defining series of the Ps3 era.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
Also, I'm replaying the Uncharted series through (as I've never played 3 and it has been so long since I've played the first two) and it has helped me further realize how much better of a game Tomb Raider is. I mean...they are almost the same type of game...but Tomb Raider is better in every way. Shooting mechanics, level layout, variety of abilities, skill customization, voice acting / motion capture.

I cannot compare graphics because I haven't seen Uncharted 3 run yet...and I played Tomb Raider on PC.

I think the Uncharted series is better. Tomb Raider simply took elements from all the other successful action/adventure games and retooled them as their own. There are no fresh, innovative ideas in the game.

I did love every second of Tomb Raider and it is a great game and a great reboot for a series that desperately needed one. I would recommend it to anyone who loves games. With that said though, 10 years from now it won't ever be discussed as one of the best games of this generation, while Uncharted will always be the defining series of the Ps3 era.

I never insinuated it was new or innovative. It took the general Uncharted formula and made it better. It added "side content" and progression elements. And the combat mechanics were improved.

First doesn't always mean best.

edit: And you know what, fuck it. Uncharted is simply a current-generation re-imagining of the original Tomb Raiders. I'm not even going to give Uncharted 'innovative.' It added motion capture and voice acting to an action platformer.

As I played Tomb Raider, I never felt as if the combat mechanics were any better or worse than Uncharted 2 and 3. However, you played it on a PC, which is your preference where as I do all my gaming on my Ps3. So I'm comparing on the same console while you're not.

Uncharted was definitely innovative but I don't think we all really understood it until the 2nd game because the first game, although great, had some glaring issues. You never experienced anything quite like that in a game before. Where as with Tomb Raider it wasn't anything you haven't seen or played before, no matter how well done or fun it was. It did add side content and progression elements but neither were anything note worthy, in my opinion.

My own personal opinion.

Combat Mechanics:
Uncharted 2 & 3 = Tomb Raider > Uncharted 1

Level Layout:
Uncharted 2 & 3 > Tomb Raider > Uncharted 1

Combat Fun:
Uncharted 2 & 3 > Tomb Raider = Uncharted 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
GTAV 9/17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Hoping that 5 is a great a sendoff to the current generation as San Andreas was to the PS2 Era. The difference between GTA3 and SA was mind blowing, fingers crossed for the same to IV and V.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next