It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
immessedup17 wrote:
spmack wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
So I guess Watch Dogs did NOT end up getting various car manufacturer licenses. Seems like final verison of game will have made up cars.

I don't think that makes a difference. One of the nerdy things I enjoy about the GTA series is looking at their cars and surmising what car it is based on in real life. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that the Patriot was based on the Hummer.

I know this was probably your favorite car to ride around in.

GTA5 had a lot of nice cars. Sure, it was fun - almost every car's origin was easily surmised. Also, because of the satirical nature of the game...it requires fake brands and such.

But Driver: San Francisco was just 'a little more' enjoyable because it had licensed cars. Gran Turismo is a bit more fun because it has licensed cars.

I'm not going to hate Watch Dogs because of this. It is going to be great. But driving around Chicago would be a little more sweet in the cars I've actually driven around Chicago with. Would just add to the experience.

That's a good point. I did enjoy watching videos of people who created mods of real life cars in GTA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
spmack wrote:
That's a good point. I did enjoy watching videos of people who created mods of real life cars in GTA.

The only type of point I make, sweetie.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 am 

http://kotaku.com/my-first-40-turns-wit ... 1578918393

Wow, so cool. Not very into sci-fi but the premise and gameplay seems like a fun turn for the Civilization series to take.

I'm ready.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
That Civ game will certainly get my attention as it gets closer to launch...loved the shit out of Revolution.

I just came to the stunning realization that I have Tuesday off work due to the holiday (yay 4 day weekends!)...and seeing as how Watch Dogs comes out that day, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go somewhere at midnight and pick up a copy...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:48 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
That Civ game will certainly get my attention as it gets closer to launch...loved the shit out of Revolution.

You just raised the Users Review aggregate score of that game from 0 to 0.0000000000000000001

edit: I'm being facetious. But the game is just a simplified, tutorial version of the previous Civ games. It saddens me.

Strategy game ithout the strategy.

It really sucks that I'm moving this week.

I want to play Watch Dogs, Transistor, Tropico 5, etc but do not have the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm 

http://kotaku.com/video-game-lets-you-d ... 1610955659

I don't know if I anticipate this or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:05 pm 

Evolve is sick. Definitely a must purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:23 pm 

http://kotaku.com/the-new-final-fantasy ... 1635713746

Wow. Wow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:57 am 

Alien: Isolation next week, The Evil Within the week after.

I am going to shit many pairs of pants.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Redboxed Diablo 3 last week. That consumed a good 20+ hours of my life. Might need to find a way to purchase that at some point. Silly fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
Redboxed Diablo 3 last week. That consumed a good 20+ hours of my life. Might need to find a way to purchase that at some point. Silly fun.

Indeed.

I don't see playing it anymore until a second expansion comes out, but I sunk a bunch of hours in vanilla, and then Reaper of Souls. They got as close to the fun of Diablo II:LOD as possible, since nothing would ever equal it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:17 am 

I think it was Reaper of Souls I rented. Playing a Crusader is almost not fair.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:22 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
I think it was Reaper of Souls I rented. Playing a Crusader is almost not fair.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Eswi ... o/43655993

Haven't played in awhile - not sure how that stacks up these days.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:52 pm 

The Witcher 3

Yaaassssss

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IMU wrote:
The Witcher 3

Yaaassssss

Any idea what the learning curve would be for a total noob? Reviews are really high for this game, combat looks fun...considering I can't find any games worth playing on PS4 or XBOX1 this might just be the one to last me till next fall.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
The Witcher 3

Yaaassssss

Any idea what the learning curve would be for a total noob? Reviews are really high for this game, combat looks fun...considering I can't find any games worth playing on PS4 or XBOX1 this might just be the one to last me till next fall.

Get the first two on Steam or GOG (sign up for Galaxy beta as well) and then play 3. Great games, combat is OK buy solid, story and characters are A+, game world is great.

Just do it. Witcher 1 is a gateway drug.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:07 pm 

I hate to agree with SomeGuy, but he nailed it.

The Combat improves with each game in the series, but I don't think it is a selling point of the series.

The world the games are set in, the characters, the story, etc etc... the best of any WRPG. And the series' take on decision making and its effects outclass every other game. There is no "good / bad" "paragon / renegade" system...the world treats every decision with unknown weight and unknown or unforeseen consequences. And rarely is there a "smells like roses" choice.

Witcher 3 is the first open world entry in the series, but according to the previews and reviews...they may have created the best open world RPG to date. Without sacrificing character development and story.

edit: I'd recommend playing Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 first. It definitely sets the tone of the world.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:28 pm 

IMU wrote:
I hate to agree with SomeGuy, but he nailed it.

The Combat improves with each game in the series, but I don't think it is a selling point of the series.

The world the games are set in, the characters, the story, etc etc... the best of any WRPG. And the series' take on decision making and its effects outclass every other game. There is no "good / bad" "paragon / renegade" system...the world treats every decision with unknown weight and unknown or unforeseen consequences. And rarely is there a "smells like roses" choice.

Witcher 3 is the first open world entry in the series, but according to the previews and reviews...they may have created the best open world RPG to date. Without sacrificing character development and story.

edit: I'd recommend playing Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 first. It definitely sets the tone of the world.

Assuming I'm not going to take the time to play 1 and 2, how difficult is the learning curve for things like character building, crafting weapons and armor and using/mixing potions and stuff like that?

I watched a couple reviews and they said you get lots of recap regarding the story from the previous games.

Have you started the game yet? I think it came out last night.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:33 pm 

shakes wrote:
Assuming I'm not going to take the time to play 1 and 2, how difficult is the learning curve for things like character building, crafting weapons and armor and using/mixing potions and stuff like that?

I watched a couple reviews and they said you get lots of recap regarding the story from the previous games.

Have you started the game yet? I think it came out last night.

Each game has different systems regarding character building, crafting, potions, etc. I'd have a head start compared to you, but I'll have to learn the new systems as well.

(An example: Potions aren't a straight up "good" thing in the Witcher series. They are made with alcohol, and different potions / too many potions in a short period of time can have negative effects. Some of the best potions are trade-offs...do you want increased healing for a short period of time? Be ready to give up some elemental resistance. Stuff like that. Also, you cannot pop potions in combat (in Witcher 2, at least.) This makes combat difficult...more strategic. More visceral.)

The game comes out (unlocks) today at 6PM central.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:43 pm 

https://youtu.be/hBoCRYX6Vq0

Much excite.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 pm 

Shakes, this might help you:

http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to ... 1704506152

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Is the combat system comparable to anything?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:53 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Is the combat system comparable to anything?

Demon's Souls with more / weaker enemies?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:53 pm 

IMU wrote:

Thanks, started reading it, but gonna wait till I get the game to read it in full so its fresh in my mind when starting.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 pm 

I played about 2.5 hours last night. Thoughts:

The combat is much different (better). And harder. The Souls series comps are accurate. It is nowhere near as brutal, but works functionally the same way. You can NOT click click click (or button button button) and succeed. Enemies will punish you. Especially groups. You need to choose your attacks carefully, and dodge / roll / parry liberally. (Yes, there are separate buttons for dodging, rolling, and parry...and all come into play situationally.) Enemies do not telegraph types of attacks often, so this is much different than Batman / Assassin's Creed / Shadow of Mordor type combat.

The game runs much better than I thought it would, but this is a PC based point. I hear the Xbox and PS4 versions need some patching in order to run smoothly.

GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING.

The story throws you in...and will seem to build itself via flashbacks and clarification as things happen. You aren't really set on a clear mission from the get-go.

The decision making is as impactful (and frustrating) as ever. I've only completed about five side quests, but in two of them I've already regretted my decisions based on consequences.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
IMU wrote:
I played about 2.5 hours last night. Thoughts:

The combat is much different (better). And harder. The Souls series comps are accurate. It is nowhere near as brutal, but works functionally the same way. You can NOT click click click (or button button button) and succeed. Enemies will punish you. Especially groups. You need to choose your attacks carefully, and dodge / roll / parry liberally. (Yes, there are separate buttons for dodging, rolling, and parry...and all come into play situationally.) Enemies do not telegraph types of attacks often, so this is much different than Batman / Assassin's Creed / Shadow of Mordor type combat.

The game runs much better than I thought it would, but this is a PC based point. I hear the Xbox and PS4 versions need some patching in order to run smoothly.

GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING.

The story throws you in...and will seem to build itself via flashbacks and clarification as things happen. You aren't really set on a clear mission from the get-go.

The decision making is as impactful (and frustrating) as ever. I've only completed about five side quests, but in two of them I've already regretted my decisions based on consequences.

The decision making style is one of my favorite things about it, it isn't black or white color coded dialogue option where you're pretty much shown a definitive outcome, it's more nuanced and far more lasting. The world can be a harsh place and no matter what you decide to do or don't do....

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 am 

I think I have about 20 to 25 hours in the game now. I've only explored about 25% of the game's total area I think, maybe less. The map is so dense with stuff to do...real stuff to do. It is so much better than Skyrim...it is meatier than that game or Red Dead Redemption. Every quest or contract has a storyline that could be main quest quality in many other games. I haven't run across any kill x or collect y quests unless they were tied into a larger arc, and even then rarely. Every location has a story or meaning...no cloned dungeons with a simple loot chest at the end.

This is a lot of fun. More than I thought it could be. The sheet size of the world makes me wonder how they could afford to develop this much content to fill it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:44 pm 

IMU wrote:
I think I have about 20 to 25 hours in the game now. I've only explored about 25% of the game's total area I think, maybe less. The map is so dense with stuff to do...real stuff to do. It is so much better than Skyrim...it is meatier than that game or Red Dead Redemption. Every quest or contract has a storyline that could be main quest quality in many other games. I haven't run across any kill x or collect y quests unless they were tied into a larger arc, and even then rarely. Every location has a story or meaning...no cloned dungeons with a simple loot chest at the end.

This is a lot of fun. More than I thought it could be. The sheet size of the world makes me wonder how they could afford to develop this much content to fill it.

how are the controls? I'm reading a lot of posts about the controls being clunky and pretty bad in combat and also when you are just walking around or riding a horse.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:23 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

how are the controls? I'm reading a lot of posts about the controls being clunky and pretty bad in combat and also when you are just walking around or riding a horse.

Combat is excellent. I cannot stress that enough. Not even compared to the previous Witcher games, but any action RPG. Stellar.

Horseback riding and walking in tight interior spaces can be annoying. I use KB/M but I hear there are similar issues with controller. Lining your character up to loot certain chests or containers or bodies is sometimes annoying, but since it isn't combat, it isn't the end of the world. They may be able to patch the 'out of combat' turning radius of Geralt / horse which would help.

Sometimes, you can accidentally 'leave combat' when surrounded by enemies if you accidentally hit the 'draw sword' button twice, and it seems getting back into combat is slightly delayed (you cannot dodge or roll when out of combat, that button becomes jump instead. So it could leave you open to a couple attacks before you draw your sword again.)

Minor annoyances all in all, but the things you've heard aren't 'wrong.' In a worse game, I'd probably be frustrated. But if that is my only complaint, I'm content.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm 

You've sold me IMU. Pulling the trigger on this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next