It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
So I turned 50 a few weeks ago and I don't care at all about cars so my midlife crisis purchase was a kick ass home theater for my new house. Hopefully it will be delivered soon, but probably a few more weeks. The center piece is a 77 inch LG OLED.

I have a PS4 that's a few years old, not a PS4 Pro. Can I still do 4K gaming on my PS4 or do I need to upgrade? I'd prefer to just use my current PS4 until it is time to upgrade to the PS5.

Hoping to play Last of Us 2 in 4K on my new set up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:56 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
shakes wrote:
So I turned 50 a few weeks ago and I don't care at all about cars so my midlife crisis purchase was a kick ass home theater for my new house. Hopefully it will be delivered soon, but probably a few more weeks. The center piece is a 77 inch LG OLED.

I have a PS4 that's a few years old, not a PS4 Pro. Can I still do 4K gaming on my PS4 or do I need to upgrade? I'd prefer to just use my current PS4 until it is time to upgrade to the PS5.

Should have gone with a Samsung QLED. Yes, you can.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
jeez shakes...showing your age. this took 3sec. to google:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=can+you+play+4k+on+ps4

One of the most important differences between the original PS4 and the PS4 Pro is that the Pro version supports 4K video. When connected to a 4K display, a PS4 Pro can play games and stream movies at 4K UHD resolution, which is 3840 by 2160 pixels — much higher than standard HD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
doug - evergreen park wrote:

One of the most important differences between the original PS4 and the PS4 Pro is that the Pro version supports 4K video. When connected to a 4K display, a PS4 Pro can play games and stream movies at 4K UHD resolution, which is 3840 by 2160 pixels — much higher than standard HD.

at this point though you may as well wait for ps5 unless you have a long backlog of ps4 games that you want to go through. original ps4 can do HDR10 which has been a nice feature. doesnt seem worth the money to get a ps4 pro with ps5 so close around the corner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:

Disagree, LG OLED is the best thing you can buy. The best blacks!

Curious to hear if shakes went true high end on the audio (McIntosh, Meridian, Crestron, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
panasonic, sanyo...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:45 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:

Curious to hear if shakes went true high end on the audio (McIntosh, Meridian, Crestron, etc.).

I didn't go full on true high end cause of price, but I think I got some nice stuff. Marantz 4K receiver. Origin Accoustics speakers and even got a couple speakers outdoors so I can listen on the deck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:09 pm 

billypootons wrote:

at this point though you may as well wait for ps5 unless you have a long backlog of ps4 games that you want to go through. original ps4 can do HDR10 which has been a nice feature. doesnt seem worth the money to get a ps4 pro with ps5 so close around the corner

that's what I'm thinking. No reason to blow $400 on a PSPro that will be obsolete by Christmas. But, on the other hand, I didn't buy a kick ass home theater to not play games in 4K.

How does the HDR10 compare to 4K in terms of gaming?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
shakes wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:

I didn't go full on true high end cause of price, but I think I got some nice stuff. Marantz 4K receiver. Origin Accoustics speakers and even got a couple speakers outdoors so I can listen on the deck.

Marantz is awesome stuff (they merged with Denon a few years back and are their high-end division). You will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
isn't it suppose to be 4k not 2k?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
shakes wrote:
billypootons wrote:

that's what I'm thinking. No reason to blow $400 on a PSPro that will be obsolete by Christmas. But, on the other hand, I didn't buy a kick ass home theater to not play games in 4K.

How does the HDR10 compare to 4K in terms of gaming?

HDR makes colors pop, 4k is more pixels/better resolution. ps4 pro you'd get both. the ps4 came out in 2013 and is only $400 at launch so to expect it to be able to provide a true 4k gaming experience (high resolution and high framerate) is asking too much IMO.... ps5 should be able to do both.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
The PS4 Pro is worth it. Yes, the PS5 will be coming out soon but man has the PS4 and 4K gaming been super impressive with Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, AC: Odyssey and some other games. Never thought PS4 would be able to pull stuff like this off at the beginning of the generation.

You can sell your old PS4 on Craigslist for $125 - $150 if you want to offset the cost.

When PS5 arrives, you can throw the PS4 Pro onto another secondary TV. Then it can handle all your 4K Netflix, Hulu, ESPN needs.

edit: On some games, you can turn down the HDR and you will want to. HDR can sometimes be a bit excessive...the HDR contrast just makes things look cartoony.

Last edited by IMU on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:34 pm 

my son got this 4k tv from costco for like $250. i love the tv. brand is called tcl. i think it's 50-55 inches.

great picture, great to watch the cubs games or any sports. real bang for your buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:36 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
my son got this 4k tv from costco for like $250. i love the tv. brand is called tcl. i think it's 50-55 inches.

great picture, great to watch the cubs games or any sports. real bang for your buck.

I have a TCL. The only downside is it isn't native 120hz.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 pm 

IMU wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

i dont know that means but ya for that price its really an impressive tv. when i get back home ill probably pick one up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:55 pm 

IMU wrote:

I'm sorry you're poor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:28 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
isn't it suppose to be 4k not 2k?

oops my bad. I had 2k on the brain and wrote that instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:31 pm 

IMU wrote:
The PS4 Pro is worth it. Yes, the PS5 will be coming out soon but man has the PS4 and 4K gaming been super impressive with Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, AC: Odyssey and some other games. Never thought PS4 would be able to pull stuff like this off at the beginning of the generation.

You can sell your old PS4 on Craigslist for $125 - $150 if you want to offset the cost.

When PS5 arrives, you can throw the PS4 Pro onto another secondary TV. Then it can handle all your 4K Netflix, Hulu, ESPN needs.

edit: On some games, you can turn down the HDR and you will want to. HDR can sometimes be a bit excessive...the HDR contrast just makes things look cartoony.

yea I've heard that about HDR with some games.

I'm tempted to upgrade, but the only issue is I'll have to re-start my NBA2K save. But I guess I can just use that as an excuse to upgrade to NBA2K21 when it comes out instead of waiting till PS5 to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
If you have buy consecutive NBA/NFL/etc. games then that's the same thing as buying the iPhone 10 after having the iPhone 9 - you're doing it wrong. Spread it out.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:58 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

yea I've heard that about HDR with some games.

I'm tempted to upgrade, but the only issue is I'll have to re-start my NBA2K save. But I guess I can just use that as an excuse to upgrade to NBA2K21 when it comes out instead of waiting till PS5 to do it.

I don't understand why you would need to restart your 2K? Isn't that saved to your PSN profile?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:59 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
If you have buy consecutive NBA/NFL/etc. games then that's the same thing as buying the iPhone 10 after having the iPhone 9 - you're doing it wrong. Spread it out.

i'm sorry you're poor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:14 pm 

test

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:16 pm 

IMU wrote:

I don't understand why you would need to restart your 2K? Isn't that saved to your PSN profile?

I thought it was saved to your console's hard drive? Great news if you're correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 am 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

I thought it was saved to your console's hard drive? Great news if you're correct.

Well even saves on the hard drive can be transferred via USB stick.

But I know if you have PS Plus, your saves go to the cloud and switching consoles is a breeze.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am 

IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

But I know if you have PS Plus, your saves go to the cloud and switching consoles is a breeze.

I gotta figure out how to do that. If I get PS Plus now will my NBA2k save automatically store itself on the cloud next time I play it or would I have to do something to set that up?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:06 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:

I gotta figure out how to do that. If I get PS Plus now will my NBA2k save automatically store itself on the cloud next time I play it or would I have to do something to set that up?

It might ask you on PS Plus setup how you want to treat saves, but yes, your current save (and/or next save) would go up on the cloud.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-h ... station-4/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:32 pm 

pulled the trigger on the PS4 Pro. IMU convinced me, I gotta be gaming in 4K from day one.

Finally looks like the last component (the Marantz receiver) is being delivered Monday so hopefully if all goes well I'll have everything installed at the end of next week!

Starting to get pretty fired up about this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:35 pm 

Great decision - you're going to be thrilled.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:50 am 

just got the word, my home theater getting installed next Thursday and Friday.

So fired up for this!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:45 pm 

Electrician installed the outlet for the TV today. Tomorrow is the big day. So fired up for this.

Question, are all movies in 4k now? If I go to rent a movie off Amazon, is it automatically in 4k or do I have to order a special version?