It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Installation has been a pain in the ass. Have had two installations fail from firewall blocks.

I support Blizzard because they support Macs. Most other publishers do not. But I was disappointed that I needed to upgrade OS X for this....I am two gens behind, but I hate to spend money on marginal software upgrades. Besides, I need to get off my arse and buy a new iMac. Even Wow is running poorly on my computer. Starcraft 2 barely works on my iMac. That game was a memory hog.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 pm 

I'm going to upgrade my video card before delving in to this game. From what I read today it sounds like a rough launch but I suppose that was to be expected.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Initial thoughts after playing the witch doctor for the past three hours...

- Had to work through a lot of installation issues. First, the installer failed three times, the first two were because of firewall blocking and the third because my video card did not have the latest upgrades.
- Gameplay is okay so far. Still a lot of mouse clicks to get where I want to go.
- Took a short time to figure out that if you use the shift key with the Witch Doctor's poison darts, you can pretty much stand in place and let your three attack dogs go at the enemies. Havent died yet using this approach and I barely even get hit so far; though, I am only into the defiled crypts looking for the crown.
- Item tooltips are hard to read and dont have enough area to click on. I thought I remembered there was a way to bind a key that auto-picked up available items in an area without clicking in the area of each.
- The disparity of gold for selling items for gold needed to buy items in disgusting. It is also totally inconsistent. A magical item that costs 600 gold coins can be sold for 20 gold coins. What the fuck is that? I assume that Blizzard wants you to buy magical items and more coins with real money? Same bullshit they pulled with Team Fortress 2. I am not paying any more money for items in a game.
- Bosses of the level seem to be really cheesy. Skeleton King doesnt do it for me.

Anyways, back to play.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 pm 

Noticed that too with the old enemies. Enjoy the game, but havent been able to connect in past 30 minutes or so. Little surprised they didnt have the capacity for this.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Initial thoughts after playing the witch doctor for the past three hours...

- Had to work through a lot of installation issues. First, the installer failed three times, the first two were because of firewall blocking and the third because my video card did not have the latest upgrades.
- Gameplay is okay so far. Still a lot of mouse clicks to get where I want to go.
- Took a short time to figure out that if you use the shift key with the Witch Doctor's poison darts, you can pretty much stand in place and let your three attack dogs go at the enemies. Havent died yet using this approach and I barely even get hit so far; though, I am only into the defiled crypts looking for the crown.
- Item tooltips are hard to read and dont have enough area to click on. I thought I remembered there was a way to bind a key that auto-picked up available items in an area without clicking in the area of each.
- The disparity of gold for selling items for gold needed to buy items in disgusting. It is also totally inconsistent. A magical item that costs 600 gold coins can be sold for 20 gold coins. What the fuck is that? I assume that Blizzard wants you to buy magical items and more coins with real money? Same bullshit they pulled with Team Fortress 2. I am not paying any more money for items in a game.
- Bosses of the level seem to be really cheesy. Skeleton King doesnt do it for me.

Anyways, back to play.

Good info. I'm definitely waiting for the console versions to come out, this game will be a lot more fun with a controller and my 52" tv vs a mouse and my 17" laptop. Plus, if it took you 3 tries to install I imagine it will take me 7 given my lack of skills with computers.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
I really don't know how this type of game would work on a console based on 99% of the game needing to point and click on small, specific things...but maybe it'll work?

If it is one of those systems where you use the right analog stick to 'highlight' objects and enemies, the left analog stick to move around, and the 'X' or equivalent XBox button to 'use / attack' - that probably won't work so well in the heat of the fast paced Diablo battles.

not sure, but these types of games worked just fine with the Champions series on the PS2. Those were basically Diablo clones.

Did you play any of those? Champions of Norrath or Champions: Return to Arms? I loved those games.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am 

Snow Leopard OS X upgrade comes to my house on Thursday, which I need as a minimum system requirement on my iMac. I'll have this installed and playing on Friday as I have the day off work. I read a lot of crap on the forums about install errors.....but that is nothing new with games like this. I am only trying this because it was free with my Wow annual pass. I never played the earlier version.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
shakes wrote:
Those were basically Diablo clones.

Not really. Those games had a 3D moveable third person camera.

Diablo has a fixed, isometric camera view.

you could zoom in if you wanted, but the default camera system was a top down isometric view. You could rotate the camera view horizontally, can you not do that with Diablo?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzard-undecided-on-diablo-iii-for-consoles-6376563

Well that sucks.

Hopefully other companies will see the success of D3 on the PCs and go ahead and build a Diablo clone ala Champions for the consoles. There hasn't been a good top down iso hack n slash RPG on this generation of consoles which really pisses me off. The last one I played was Sacred 2 and it was utter garbage. Torchlight sucked too.

What's Snowblind up to these days? They had some success and failure in this genre.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:36 pm 

Okay, server outages have been a bit annoying, like the one one that just supposedly started 5 minutes ago in the middle of my gameplay and the one that lasted for over two hours very early this morning. Otherwise, really enjoying the game.

- Noticed that maps disappear even after you have explored them. More an annoyance than anything.
- The best part of this series, which continues to hold true in this release, is the "oh fuck, I picked the wrong fork in the road" moment. Have had this happen twice now. If I would have went left, I would have went straight to level 2, but I chose right. Good for training, so its a wash.
- Monsters as you get into Misery Fields are pretty solid.
- If I a guy falls on fire through the sky and puts a hole in the ground that big, one would think its a good idea to just wipe him out. And why do people keep moving back to Tristam. Come on. Figure it out.
- Im amazed how much stuff I have sold and how little gold I have amassed.
- Really like the way skills are being handled. I thought they made it too difficult in the previous release. This is simple and works well.
- Havent figured out how to identify an item yet.
- Not sure how to use my melee weapon as the Witch Doctor. Just been shooting the poison darts like a mother.

Hopefully the server is back...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:41 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Forums say 15 minutes only so....

Also, sorry I didn't notice you earler in game or respond...I was playing with a few buddies then forgot. Let me know if you ever need help with something.

No problem. Just was checking out multi-player for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:53 pm 

15 minutes = 45+ minutes in Blizzard time.

"Unfortunately we've had a few delays in bringing the #D3 servers back online. No ETA yet, please stay tuned"

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
All this crap has made me glad I decided to wait to buy this game.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Downloaded and installed in an hour and 15 min. No issues whatsoever. Logged right in and leveled a barbarian to level 5. Love it so far. Perfectly paced and Hoffy is right about bringing you along on the skills and abilities, Blizz did a really good job with this. Look forward to trying multiplayer this weekend.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:43 pm 

Forums are recommending that you salvage items through the artisen early and often. The stuff you get is worthless for coinage. Ill be curious to see how crafting turns out as time goes on. Also, finding that returning to the cathedral early has built up my skills quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:05 am 

Went back through from beginning to the spider queen again to build some exp. Servers are going down again!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 am 

Hopefully I'll get this installed tonight and playing a bit tomorrow. I am excited and hoping it goes well. I need something to replace my former Wow addiction.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Stupid question... could I play Diablo 3 on a Macbook?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Hoping to pick this up today on my lunch. Very excite

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Stupid question... could I play Diablo 3 on a Macbook?

Must've been more stupid than I thought. ;?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm 

Fucking christ. Cant kill Belial. Actually, its more that I just dont want to put the amount of effort I will need to put in to beat him.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:45 am 

Figured out the green spots after a few times. Just got past the fart demon and Im on to the battlefield. Cant move my fingers from clicking so damn much.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:43 am 

I got to install and play this last Friday on an older iMac (circa 2009). I was surprised how well it ran especially given all the lag complaints on the mac tech forums. It's a pretty cool. Unfortunately I was out of town all weekend and could not progress. I should start digging deeper this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:44 am 

Eight hour outage this morning. On top of it, Blizzard addressed accounts being hacked with the Vinny DelNegro excuse "It happens". Should be done with the game by the time I reach 40.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:25 am 

I got hacked twice on wow and had to move to the authenicator thingy. I hate it, but it was the only way....

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:27 pm 

I hate getting Phished.

At level 26 right now, but finding that I have died a lot in Act 3, much more then in previous acts. That being said, witch doctor has been great. Not quite as powerful as the Necromancer in 2, but still awesome. Basically you can get through most of the second and third act dropping acid on from afar and having the templar, demon dogs and gargantuan fight in the front line.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:18 pm 

Finally broke down and got it. Downloading now.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
Finally broke down and got it. Downloading now.

Fantastic. Add me, Eswin17#1774

Diablo 3 received a 9.5/10 from IGN, though it has a bullshit 89 on Metacritic - some of the lesser known review sites factored in the log-in server issues that occurred during release date to the score. Reviewers that do that are a joke - you are supposed to report those issues, but not factor them into the game.

8.5 on Gamespot. Watched both reviews, game looks amazing. Hopefully it will come out on console so I can play it. Even if they dumb it down a bit, I'm sure it will still be an awesome game.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 pm 

Things that are pissing me off:

- no more individual updating of stats (strength, dexterity, etc)
- no more identifying magical items
- linear maps (at least through act 1)
- the game overall just seems dumbed down

I've only played for maybe two hours and while it's fun it doesn't seem nearly as versatile as D2 was.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Dewskie wrote:
Things that are pissing me off:

- no more individual updating of stats (strength, dexterity, etc)
- no more identifying magical items
- linear maps (at least through act 1)
- the game overall just seems dumbed down

I've only played for maybe two hours and while it's fun it doesn't seem nearly as versatile as D2 was.

You can identify items by right clicking on them. They took out scrolls which is good. Same with town portal, it just shows up at like level 6 or 7. The maps get more complex as it moves along.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next